Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New laptop recommendations

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

New laptop recommendations

Postby Clariman » October 24th, 2021, 5:19 pm

Although my current laptop has some mileage left in it, I have decided to replace it over the coming months. I'll list reasons below FYI, but not really wanting to justify it :) . So I would appreciate any recommendations on makes and models. In the past I have had mostly IBM (& Lenovo), HP and Toshiba. Current laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad which cost me less than £350 over 5 years ago. I would like something that performs better, especially during Windows update which brings the laptop to a complete standstill sometimes. Summary of current and planned spec below.

• Processor - Current (Intel Core I3-6100U 2 processors). Planned ? (What would be a decent Windows 11-compatible replacement be?)
  • Memory - Current (8GB RAM). Planned (probably 12GB or 16GB)
  • Storage - Current (2TB HDD), but only use about 150GB. Planned (probably 512GB SSD, although 256GB SSD might do)
  • Screen size - Current (15.4"). Planned (Similar is fine - but use external display when in home office)
  • Application use. Mostly standard internet, word processing, spreadsheet, although occasionally do some basic audio or video editing. And of course Zoom etc.
  • Not bothered about touch-screen or making it into a tablet-like device
  • Would like a decent number of USB ports. I currently have a DVD player but rarely use it. Would probably prefer to have one but can always buy an external one for occasional use.

So looking for make, model and processor recommendations. I would consider up to £1000 but would prefer around £500 to £700.

Reasons for changing (not intended for debate)
  • Not Windows 11 compatible, so would need to change in next 5 years anyway
  • It has continued to work after I tripped coming down the stairs while carrying it open, although HDD was completely done. Have extended its life by over 1 year by replacing HDD, but am concerned other things may fail at some point.
  • Performance is pretty pedestrian and comes to complete standstill when windows updates install, to they extent that the PC is completely unusable. I could alter how and when Windows updates install but I can't be bothered with the hassle of doing that.
  • A shiny new PC will bring me momentary joy. :roll:

Thanks
C

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: New laptop recommendations

Postby scotia » October 24th, 2021, 5:34 pm

I too have a Lenovo Ideapad of a similar age, price, and configuration as yours. About a year ago the Hard Disk gave problems, So I replaced it with a 1TB SSD (cost about £100 - probably now cheaper). Hence I don't have the problem with updates, and overall I'm quite happy with its response. So it will serve a few more years, before I think about a replacement.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » October 24th, 2021, 5:38 pm

If you use an external monitor, it is worth considering an integrated video card with UHD output via an HDMI port (quite a low cost item). If you ever upgrade your monitor to UHD, your new laptop will be future proofed. You can do this even though the laptop screen is only 1080p.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 24th, 2021, 5:52 pm

Clariman wrote:... although occasionally do some basic audio or video editing.

I recommend, if you at all can, seeing if you can hear laptops on your shortlist before committing. I don't know if PC World will let you test them out that way, but if you can do. I bought an Acer A315-56 earlier in the year, and while most of it is fine (i5-1035G1 / 8GB / 256GB / 15.4") the sound is crap. The two tiny speakers are underneath and (despite checking out drivers etc) max volume is very quiet and sound is tin-can-and-string quality. I finally ended up having to install FxSound which helps lots with the volume and improves the quality, but still it can't get fully past the crap speakers.

On your spec, for Win11 you'll want 8th gen or more, so an "8" or more after the "-". I doubt you really need 12GB from what you say you do, 8GB will almost certainly be enough.

For speed you can check out and compare passmark scores ... here's your current one as a base, use the search facility on the site to look for other processors.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-6100U+%40+2.30GHz&id=2623

I think you're in for at least £500. Laptops are not cheap right now.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 24th, 2021, 6:02 pm

also looking out for a new laptop.

need a 15" minimum screen for holiday use in caravan .

then i plan to use it as my PC when at home - should plug into my existing LG monitor .

massive storage and speeds not required , just windows 11 , so no point in dedicated home PC .

am i deluded ?

:)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 24th, 2021, 6:23 pm

jackdaww wrote:.

also looking out for a new laptop.

need a 15" minimum screen for holiday use in caravan .

then i plan to use it as my PC when at home - should plug into my existing LG monitor .

massive storage and speeds not required , just windows 11 , so no point in dedicated home PC .

am i deluded ?

No, laptops that can run Window 11 definitely exist!

Scott.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 24th, 2021, 7:54 pm

Clariman wrote:Although my current laptop has some mileage left in it, I have decided to replace it over the coming months. I'll list reasons below FYI, but not really wanting to justify it :) . So I would appreciate any recommendations on makes and models. In the past I have had mostly IBM (& Lenovo), HP and Toshiba. Current laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad which cost me less than £350 over 5 years ago. I would like something that performs better, especially during Windows update which brings the laptop to a complete standstill sometimes...

For speed of starting up, opening apps, and in particular while Windows updates install, an SSD is absolutely essential (plus it should survive falling down the stairs). Generally any new laptop will come with an SSD as standard, but at the lower end of the price range you'll find the larger capacities (1TB or more) may still be achieved by offering an HDD option.

8GB RAM should be your absolute minimum spec, 16GB would be preferred.

For the processor look for 10th gen Intel or later, i5 or i7 in preference (a powerful processor is another boost for installing updates).

I'd recommend looking for a business model rather than a consumer machine. In addition to the likes of Lenovo (Thinkpad is their business range, the Ideapad is aimed more at consumers) and HP, the Dell Latitude range is worth considering.

Clariman wrote:A shiny new PC will bring me momentary joy. :roll:

:D me too. Even better when it's a nearly new used machine at a bargain price, like my latest one ;)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 24th, 2021, 8:29 pm

Clariman wrote:Although my current laptop has some mileage left in it, I have decided to replace it over the coming months. I'll list reasons below FYI, but not really wanting to justify it :) . So I would appreciate any recommendations on makes and models.
C

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/li ... 1-evg-eact

Possible opportunity coming up with Amazon sales.

"This year, Black Friday will take place on Friday, November 26, with most businesses continuing the sales over the weekend and finishing the following Monday - which is referred to as Cyber Monday."

( I bet just swapping out the HDD for an SSD would make a world of difference to your current machine ....I second Scotia's comment ...my 15 Yr old Dell was like treacle with a HDD and now after fitting a 512GB SSD it is pretty quick)...I bet you'll pick one up in the Amazon sale).

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 24th, 2021, 9:17 pm

Clariman wrote:Although my current laptop has some mileage left in it, I have decided to replace it over the coming months. I'll list reasons below FYI, but not really wanting to justify it :) . So I would appreciate any recommendations on makes and models. In the past I have had mostly IBM (& Lenovo), HP and Toshiba. Current laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad which cost me less than £350 over 5 years ago. I would like something that performs better, especially during Windows update which brings the laptop to a complete standstill sometimes. Summary of current and planned spec below.

• Processor - Current (Intel Core I3-6100U 2 processors). Planned ? (What would be a decent Windows 11-compatible replacement be?)
  • Memory - Current (8GB RAM). Planned (probably 12GB or 16GB)
  • Storage - Current (2TB HDD), but only use about 150GB. Planned (probably 512GB SSD, although 256GB SSD might do)
  • Screen size - Current (15.4"). Planned (Similar is fine - but use external display when in home office)
  • Application use. Mostly standard internet, word processing, spreadsheet, although occasionally do some basic audio or video editing. And of course Zoom etc.
  • Not bothered about touch-screen or making it into a tablet-like device
  • Would like a decent number of USB ports. I currently have a DVD player but rarely use it. Would probably prefer to have one but can always buy an external one for occasional use.

So looking for make, model and processor recommendations. I would consider up to £1000 but would prefer around £500 to £700.

Reasons for changing (not intended for debate)
  • Not Windows 11 compatible, so would need to change in next 5 years anyway
  • It has continued to work after I tripped coming down the stairs while carrying it open, although HDD was completely done. Have extended its life by over 1 year by replacing HDD, but am concerned other things may fail at some point.
  • Performance is pretty pedestrian and comes to complete standstill when windows updates install, to they extent that the PC is completely unusable. I could alter how and when Windows updates install but I can't be bothered with the hassle of doing that.
  • A shiny new PC will bring me momentary joy. :roll:

Thanks
C

Nope I'm sorry I must vehemently protest. A shiny new PC will bring you no joy when you see the price :roll: Did you bang your head when you tripped :lol: My bad :oops:

Laptops aren't currently cheap. A combination of Christmas demand and chip shortages. I'd suggest if you are feeling the urge to make yourself poor at least wait until after Christmas when the "end of line" laptops will be cheaper.

I think the only issue you have with your current (huh umm very cheap laptop) is the processor. 8GB of RAM is good for what you need. And you shouldn't have many issues with 1TB of HDD, albeit slower than the SSD drives. I have a similar spec to your laptop but have 512MB SSD dive but an intel 8th Generation Core i7. Do you have any virus killers or firewalls other than Microsoft Defender? If so they will slow MS updates down. Remove them. Defender is sufficient for your needs. I have it on my laptop.

My SSD drive copes well. However, if I had lots of photographs and videos to keep I'd purchase [say] a 6TB HDD separate drive to store them on, keeping my SSD for faster applications, as we have done for our daughters laptop. She has four gazillion photographs :shock:

My laptop is fast. It's an entry level gaming machine.

I'd stick to 8GB RAM unless you want to try and extend your laptop life by increasing to 16GB. Whilst my laptop is an 8th generation i7 my daughters is an 11th generation i7. This is important because, although she has an i7, her processor speed is vastly superior to mine.

We both have Dell. Pick your own model of course. But this page will allow you to "benchmark" your budget before you focus on something that ticks performance and budget.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops ... 3085,35522

On the above page I'd be looking closely at this little [shiny :lol: ] laptop £999

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/gaming- ... op/cng5103

I bought my laptop in a New Year sale.

AiY

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 24th, 2021, 9:33 pm

I bought a couple of HP laptops 2 years ago. Nothing exceptional, they both do what I need. Both have SSDs (vital in my view) and Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 processors. A few things you might want to think about:
  • An IPS screen makes a big difference in my view, for brightness and contrast.
  • One laptop has black keys with bold white text, which is fine. The other has silver keys with fine black text and this can be difficult to see in anything but a good light (I'm not a touch typist)
  • Consider the power, USB and HDMI sockets. How many? Are they inconveniently positioned. My HPs have a right-angled power connector a bit like this https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WoUAAOSw ... s-l300.jpg and I find my knee often disconnects the power when it is on my lap
  • Is there excessive fan noise when the processor is working hard?

So far, I've found the HPs reliable.

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 24th, 2021, 10:14 pm

Clariman wrote:Although my current laptop has some mileage left in it, I have decided to replace it over the coming months....
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:...My laptop is fast. It's an entry level gaming machine.
...this page will allow you to "benchmark" your budget before you focus on something that ticks performance and budget.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops ... 3085,35522

On the above page I'd be looking closely at this little [shiny :lol: ] laptop £999

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/gaming- ... op/cng5103

I bought my laptop in a New Year sale.

From previous posts by Clariman I get the impression that a business machine would be more appropriate for the work it would be put to, with W10 Pro rather than Home. So this may be a more appropriate starting point to explore Dell.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/laptops/sc/laptops

Also, gaming graphics tend to have a premium price and may be wasted on the use Clariman would put it to. My 'shiny' nearly-new purchase, as near as I can build it, is one of these:

Dell Latitude 5410 14 Inch Business Laptop. 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-10210U, Windows 10 Pro, 1X16 GB 3200MHz, M.2 512G PCIe NVMe SSD
£767.12 (£639.27 excluding VAT)
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/la ... 02f148a378

The one I bought from Cash Converters according to its SMART data had been powered up 26 times, and had just 15 hours use by the time I got it. It differs from the specs above in two crucial respects, it has had a further 16GB added to take it up to 32GB, and I paid less than £500 for it. ;)

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 25th, 2021, 9:03 am

Not asking you to justiufy, but what is it about a laptop that makes you want one instead of a desktop?

I confess that I am concerned about you falling downstares carrying your last one. An episode of a gory program that the wife watches had a lady with a very badly broken leg, caused by tripping over her laptop lead while navigating the stairs.

Anyway, I'm going to suggest that you seriously consider a 11-14 inch laptop.

As you normnaly use it with a monitor the size should only be an issue when you are carrying it or using it away from your base. At which point, unless using it as an entertainment center on holidy, surely the smaller the better.

It's likely that a small laptop will have poor speakers, but if you are using it with a monitor simply get a monitor with good speakers. Microphone and camera are also often more limited than a cheap external set. If you need them buy a decent set and plug them in.
Likewise you may find the keyboard uncomfortably small and lacking a number pad, plug in a decent keyboard when you plug the monitor in.
Indeed while we are at it consider a dock to manage all these things that I'm talking about plugging in.

When you have done all that you effectively have a desktop machine, that you can unplug and move around for basic tasks that need to be done away from your desk.

I like Thinkpads, because they are very difficult to break. Personally I would recommend replacing the i3 ideapad with a second hand x1 carbon. Lenovo kindly lists what old models are WIndows 11 complient.

Processor spec depends upon what you intend to use the laptop for. AMD processors will tend to allow longer battery life. I believe that Intel has a patent on the Thunderbolt interface, whuch means that you are unlikely to get one on a laptop with a AMD processor. It's a very handy interface for plugging in stuff like monitors, hard drives or even external GPU's. Too new for any laptop that I use/own though.

Of course I could have misjudged things. There are huge laptops that need huge power supplies out there for people who really "need" monstress video power in a portable/lugable package. Check this out.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/dell/14 ... 51m-review
As the review says, you wouldn't want to run it on your lap. To be honest not only would it crush you, but the heat might cook you too.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 25th, 2021, 9:39 am

Breelander wrote:For speed of starting up, opening apps, and in particular while Windows updates install, an SSD is absolutely essential (plus it should survive falling down the stairs). Generally any new laptop will come with an SSD as standard, but at the lower end of the price range you'll find the larger capacities (1TB or more) may still be achieved by offering an HDD option.

Mildly off the point (apologies, I'm a lateral thinker). :| Then again, thinking of SSD/HDD hybrids.......?

I mentioned recently in another thread that we have a six year old Acer laptop, with only a Celeron processor and 4gb of ram, but it's been very lightly used. It seems that I could liven it up somewhat, and maybe earn myself another four years, by fitting a modest 240gb SSD (about thirty quid) while retaining the existing 500gb HDD by taking out the optical CD drive and dropping the HDD into the hole.

I've checked that this can be done with this particular laptop, and apparently it can. So if I moved everything except my data files across to the SDD, that would improve my experience? For thirty quid, I'd consider it. Thoughts?

BJ

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 25th, 2021, 10:02 am

Urbandreamer wrote:Anyway, I'm going to suggest that you seriously consider a 11-14 inch laptop.

This was the first thing I was going to write - and you know what.. the rest of the post is pretty much what I'd suggest also

13-14" for me is the sweetspot for a laptop
It fits a full size (10 less) keyboard nicely (i.e. without a huge amount of space around it)
it will generally be useably portable (in size and weight) and yet containt enough battery and storage
Just make sure the screen has enough veritcal pixels

when you need it for long sat down sessions - dock it with a decent keyboard/mouse
- possibly on a stand so it's a decent height second monitor
because at that size it's only really the screen that differentiates it from a larger laptop (unless you need multiple drive bays or a large GFX card)

Lenovo do good stuff (there's a L380 Yoga i7 and an E470 in the stable here - the first seeing my older daughter through the last 3 years of high school with the expected treatment admirably - I'm about to get it's replacement for the younger kid)
There are also a couple of HP 11" which are more "netbooks" that whinge quite a bit if used in anger

I will suggest that If the old one still works for stuff - leave it somewhere in the house and access it remotely (most of my PC get driven from my surface book which has the added benefit of making them all touch sceen devices :) )
- or you can harvest the drives out of it

-sd

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 25th, 2021, 10:06 am

bungeejumper wrote:
Breelander wrote:For speed of starting up, opening apps, and in particular while Windows updates install, an SSD is absolutely essential (plus it should survive falling down the stairs). Generally any new laptop will come with an SSD as standard, but at the lower end of the price range you'll find the larger capacities (1TB or more) may still be achieved by offering an HDD option.

Mildly off the point (apologies, I'm a lateral thinker). :| Then again, thinking of SSD/HDD hybrids.......?

I mentioned recently in another thread that we have a six year old Acer laptop, with only a Celeron processor and 4gb of ram, but it's been very lightly used. It seems that I could liven it up somewhat, and maybe earn myself another four years, by fitting a modest 240gb SSD (about thirty quid) while retaining the existing 500gb HDD by taking out the optical CD drive and dropping the HDD into the hole.

I've checked that this can be done with this particular laptop, and apparently it can. So if I moved everything except my data files across to the SDD, that would improve my experience? For thirty quid, I'd consider it. Thoughts?

BJ

I'd make the SSD the main drive and use the HDD as a backup only(You'll be waiting for Windows to boot up.)

My Google research suggest Windows 10 takes around 20GB. So a 240GB SDD should be ok.

I don't know how much data you have but I'd actually be tempted to simply go SSD + thumb drive. A 128GB thumb drive ( example) could be primary backup of the SSD and really important files could be stored on the Old HDD for further backup.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

(Worst scenario here is that you end up with a 240GB SSD that could be put into a caddy).
Last edited by monabri on October 25th, 2021, 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 25th, 2021, 10:08 am

bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

If you can get the correct caddies it works well

I used to run a Gigbyte P35W with a swappable HDD/CD caddy at the front and it was quite handy
Best bit being the ease of harvesting the data stuff when it eventually died (which nearly made up for the main drive being an m2 raid 0 array :( )

it was far too large as a laptop - and not rigid enough to avoid flexing under its own weight if held by a corner
- amazing performance at the time though and I kind of treated it as a workstation with a built in UPS

-sd

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 25th, 2021, 10:45 am

Thanks, sd. I'm a little bit belt-and-braces about keeping some HDD storage because I've heard enough sad tales of SSDs failing at short notice. :|

Mined yew, I have a neighbour whose HDD has just failed (to the point where no computer can even read what it is!), and he's got six years of his family's videos on it. You can remind people to backup regularly, but some of them don't. :( Anyway, he's just bought a 500gb USB SSD from Samsung, which cost him £70, and he's planning on using that for everything. No HDD lifeboats. Good luck to all who sail in her.

BJ

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 25th, 2021, 11:14 am

bungeejumper wrote:You can remind people to backup regularly, but some of them don't. :( Anyway, he's just bought a 500gb USB SSD from Samsung, which cost him £70, and he's planning on using that for everything. No HDD lifeboats. Good luck to all who sail in her.
BJ

Nothing wrong with using SSD. What's wrong is NOT having a backup. From what you say it sounds like that is what he still intends.

Can I recommend that people seriously consider buying a NAS, or making one from an old PC/ raspberry pi that serves no other purpose.
For those that don't know NAS is Network Attached Storage. You simply plug it into your router or connect it to your wifi and you have a hard drive on your WiFi.
You can then shedual your PC to make automatic backups to the NAS.

Sure the paranoid will argue that it's not as secure as a hard dirve in a drawer, that you physically attach when you want to make a backup. My answer is that most people don't put any effort into backups so an effort-less solution is a significant improvement.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 25th, 2021, 11:57 am

Thanks everyone. Answering a few of your questions and comments ...

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:. Do you have any virus killers or firewalls other than Microsoft Defender? If so they will slow MS updates down. Remove them. Defender is sufficient for your needs. I have it on my laptop.

Just MS Defender. I figure it is good enough too.

kiloran wrote:Is there excessive fan noise when the processor is working hard?

Not that I've noticed. When I have managed to get task manager loaded during the windows updates, sometimes it shows CPU in high 90s %, sometimes it is Disk in high 90s.

Urbandreamer wrote:Not asking you to justiufy, but what is it about a laptop that makes you want one instead of a desktop?

Being able to take it away with me if there are some things I want to use it for on holiday etc.

Urbandreamer wrote:I confess that I am concerned about you falling downstares carrying your last one. An episode of a gory program that the wife watches had a lady with a very badly broken leg, caused by tripping over her laptop lead while navigating the stairs.

:o Thanks for your concern. I was fine. It was last summer and I was bringing the laptop downstairs for a family zoom quiz (remember those days? :lol: ). The last step on our stair isn't carpeted and in my rush I thought I was on the floor so went flying when I took the next step. I survived well, the PC survived well, but the HDD was inconsolable and irrecoverable.

Urbandreamer wrote:Anyway, I'm going to suggest that you seriously consider a 11-14 inch laptop.

As you normnaly use it with a monitor the size should only be an issue when you are carrying it or using it away from your base. At which point, unless using it as an entertainment center on holidy, surely the smaller the better.

It's likely that a small laptop will have poor speakers, but if you are using it with a monitor simply get a monitor with good speakers. Microphone and camera are also often more limited than a cheap external set. If you need them buy a decent set and plug them in.
Likewise you may find the keyboard uncomfortably small and lacking a number pad, plug in a decent keyboard when you plug the monitor in.
Indeed while we are at it consider a dock to manage all these things that I'm talking about plugging in.

When you have done all that you effectively have a desktop machine, that you can unplug and move around for basic tasks that need to be done away from your desk.

Thanks. That is pretty much how I use it. Laptop plugs into Wavlink USB docking station, to which are attached the separate screen, backup HDD and speakers. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse too. I occasionally use the second screen as a an extension so wouldn't want a tiny laptop screen but 14" would do. Also if I am speaking on Zoom I use the laptop on its own so that needs to be workable.

servodude wrote:13-14" for me is the sweetspot for a laptop
It fits a full size (10 less) keyboard nicely (i.e. without a huge amount of space around it)
it will generally be useably portable (in size and weight) and yet containt enough battery and storage
Just make sure the screen has enough veritcal pixels

when you need it for long sat down sessions - dock it with a decent keyboard/mouse
- possibly on a stand so it's a decent height second monitor
because at that size it's only really the screen that differentiates it from a larger laptop (unless you need multiple drive bays or a large GFX card)

Ditto. See above.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 25th, 2021, 12:34 pm

On the subject of disk caddies, I find you don't actually need one if your external disk is an SSD. I have a spare 250 GB one, and no room inside my mini desktop for another disk. So with a 4 quid USB 3 to SATA cable I have it sitting on top of the box, kept in place with a bit of blu tac. Works for me.

(Excuse the dust :-) )

Scott.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”