Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Edge v Chrome

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Edge v Chrome

Postby mutantpoodle » May 26th, 2022, 7:35 am

for years now I have been using Chrome..with no problems and happy to use as have (slowly) learnt how to do what little I do when using it

but over the past few months Chrome has got slower and slower to start up from my homepage
over 50 seconds from clicking the desktop icon

yesterday I tried clicking the EDGE icon
the homepage opened in 15 seconds

I have deleted cookies and histories and all the other things that are recommended for speeding up system
but no improvement

so it looks like a ove to Edge unless someone can tell me what else could be done

I have adblock plus and Ublock origin,,,but otherwwise no known extensions

as many here will know, I dont do much (any) complex stuff, but sitting waiting for new pages is frustrating if it can be avoided
Last edited by chas49 on May 26th, 2022, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo in subject

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Edge v Chrome

Postby monabri » May 26th, 2022, 9:22 am

My laptop is coming up to it's 16th birthday, running Windows 10 and I use Chrome ( with adBlock). Loading Chrome takes about 3 and a bit seconds from clicking on the Chrome shortcut. I haven't deleted cookies or browsing history in 'a while'. So, something is wrong if Chrome is taking 50s to open.

How about doing a reinstall of Chrome?

Is everything else "slow" (eg opening spreadsheets, word processors) ?

Have you checked system resources (using task manager)? Check what disc usage is reported ( a percentage figure) when you fire up Chrome. In task manager, there is an option to say " always on top" such that task manager is always visible/ displayed.
Last edited by monabri on May 26th, 2022, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 26th, 2022, 9:25 am

monabri wrote:My laptop is coming up to it's 16th birthday, running Windows 10 and I use Chrome ( with adBlock). Loading Chrome takes about 3 and a bit seconds from clicking on the Chrome shortcut. I haven't deleted cookies or browsing history in 'a while'. So, something is wrong if Chrome is taking 50s to open.

How about doing a reinstall of Chrome?

Or an update?
... because Edge and Chrome both run on the Chromium engine with similar release cycles

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 26th, 2022, 9:34 am

Hard disc or SSD?

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » May 26th, 2022, 12:13 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:for years now I have been using Chrome..with no problems and happy to use as have (slowly) learnt how to do what little I do when using it
so it looks like a ove to Edge unless someone can tell me what else could be done

I completely realise this isn't addressing your "what else could be done" question but my experience might be interesting to you.

TL;DR - moving over to Edge might not be as bad an option for you as you think. Details below.

I'm one of those nutty computer geeks who gets the urge to upgrade my desktop PC every 3 years or so and I usually act on that urge. I also typically totally reformat my C drive and re-install Windows and all of my apps from scratch every 18 months or so as a sort of electronic "spring clean" that I find curiously therapeutic. I have used Google's Chrome browser for as long as I can remember, at least a decade, but for the last 5 or 6 years after every PC upgrade or clean re-install of Windows on my existing PC I have made a point of not immediately installing Chrome but instead using Edge as my main browser to see how I get on(*). Every single time I have ended up installing Chrome after a week or two because for one reason or other Edge just wasn't doing it for me. That was the case up until February this year when I upgraded my PC hardware (again!) and did my same initial test drive of Edge as my main browser. I can't actually put my finger on what was different this time but suffice it to say that I am typing this message in Edge and do not miss Google Chrome at all.

I should also mention that I rely heavily on Google for other services on my PC e.g. the first tab on my email is always opened (and pinned) on my Gmail account and I am continually accessing other Google services such as calendar, drive, maps and photos via Edge with no issues at all. Well OK, Google was sometimes putting up some annoying messages now and then asking me if I wanted to switch to Chrome when I accessed a Google web site but I haven't seen such a message for many weeks now so I think that Google has accepted that I'm a lost cause as far as switching browser is concerned.

(*) As a computer scientist I like elegant simplicity and aim to install as few applications as I can on my PC so using the browser that comes as part of the Windows installation package and so not needing to go and install Google Chrome is attractive to me. That's why I kept striving to get to that point but, until this year, wasn't getting there due to feeling that there were too many compromises involved in making the switch over to Edge.

- Julian

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 26th, 2022, 1:22 pm

Julian wrote:
I'm one of those nutty computer geeks who gets the urge to upgrade my desktop PC every 3 years or so and I usually act on that urge. I also typically totally reformat my C drive and re-install Windows and all of my apps from scratch every 18 months or so as a sort of electronic "spring clean" that I find curiously therapeutic. I have used Google's Chrome browser for as long as I can remember, at least a decade, but for the last 5 or 6 years after every PC upgrade or clean re-install of Windows on my existing PC I have made a point of not immediately installing Chrome but instead using Edge as my main browser to see how I get on(*). Every single time I have ended up installing Chrome after a week or two because for one reason or other Edge just wasn't doing it for me. That was the case up until February this year when I upgraded my PC hardware (again!) and did my same initial test drive of Edge as my main browser. I can't actually put my finger on what was different this time but suffice it to say that I am typing this message in Edge and do not miss Google Chrome at all.

I should also mention that I rely heavily on Google for other services on my PC e.g. the first tab on my email is always opened (and pinned) on my Gmail account and I am continually accessing other Google services such as calendar, drive, maps and photos via Edge with no issues at all. Well OK, Google was sometimes putting up some annoying messages now and then asking me if I wanted to switch to Chrome when I accessed a Google web site but I haven't seen such a message for many weeks now so I think that Google has accepted that I'm a lost cause as far as switching browser is concerned.

(*) As a computer scientist I like elegant simplicity and aim to install as few applications as I can on my PC so using the browser that comes as part of the Windows installation package and so not needing to go and install Google Chrome is attractive to me. That's why I kept striving to get to that point but, until this year, wasn't getting there due to feeling that there were too many compromises involved in making the switch over to Edge.

- Julian

The newer version of Edge uses the same codebase as Chrome (Chromium), so they will have become more similar in functionality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge

RC

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » May 26th, 2022, 1:39 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
Julian wrote:

- Julian

The newer version of Edge uses the same codebase as Chrome (Chromium), so they will have become more similar in functionality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge

RC

That change happened a while ago though, I was very aware of it in the tech news when it happened and I did at least one previous test drive on a Chromium-based version when I didn't ultimately stay with it. As I understand it we're only talking about the rendering engine here (re adoption of the Chromium code base) which of course is critical to site compatibility and performance but the UI wrapped around it also makes a huge difference to the user experience. I'm really not sure what has changed that has made me stick with Edge this time because I don't remember why it just didn't feel right on my previous failed attempts. Another factor to consider is extensions of course. Maybe some of the extensions I relied on hadn't made it over to Edge yet or where a bit flaky but now all is good at least for me.

- Julian

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 26th, 2022, 3:42 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:I have adblock plus and Ublock origin,,,but otherwwise no known extensions

I wonder why you have both. I would have thought one would do. I use uBlock origin and Chrome fires up in a matter of seconds (on my SSD-based laptops).
Is there any improvement if you disable both?

--kiloran

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » May 27th, 2022, 7:58 am

no improvement when both adblockers are disabled

i will see if I can findout how to reinstall Chrome
do i lose all passwords and bookmarks etc etc?

i went to taskmaster....masses of things none of which I recognise (well almost none)
most seem not to use CPU (??)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 27th, 2022, 8:01 am

mutantpoodle wrote:
over the past few months Chrome has got slower and slower to start up from my homepage

over 50 seconds from clicking the desktop icon

yesterday I tried clicking the EDGE icon

the homepage opened in 15 seconds

Do you see the same large time discrepancy if you temporarily set Google as your homepage in both browsers as well?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 27th, 2022, 8:49 am

https://pptechnews.com/how-to/how-to-re ... sing-data/

"Is Google Chrome heavy and slow ?
The specific problems of Google Chrome were as follows.
Anyway, it is heavy. It may take more than 30 seconds to open a new web page. It does not respond even if you click it."

With the promising words

"As a result, when I reinstalled Google Chrome, it was cured in one shot."

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » May 27th, 2022, 10:40 am

I use Chrome on a refurbished 7 year old W10 desktop machine. It is lightning-fast compared with an apple laptop and another laptop I use occasionally.

I did once uninstall and reinstall Chrome. From memory this takes three or four minutes.

I don't use an ad blocker as I'm not bothered by by ads (often they are for items I bought a week ago!)

Chrome syncs well across my phone and (obviously) my chromebook.

My guess is it would be worth trying an uninstall and re-install? And ensuring it is set as the default browser.

regards

Howard

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » May 28th, 2022, 8:19 am

thanks for all ideas

I decided to have a go at a reinstall
and whilst searching Chrome for instruction links, I saw a 'set to default' (or equivalent wording) link
so I thought I would give that a whirl

it took a few minutes but all seems excellent now...faster etc
have not yet 'found' what I might have 'lost' in the exercise............but so far no regrets

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”