Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New database - is Access still supported ?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

New database - is Access still supported ?

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 1st, 2022, 8:54 am

I need to create a couple of new databases, moving away from doing everything in Excel
Looking at my work laptop, I appear to have lost MS Access. It may be they don't include in the standard build now
Is it still supported? If not, what has replaced it? Is there anything better available?
Not interested in: bells and whistles, writing my own in Python, switching to Linux, etc etc

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Re: New database - is Access still supported ?

Postby Midsmartin » July 1st, 2022, 9:05 am

Access is still included in Microsoft365 subscriptions. If your Office is a "home & student" that you bought as a one-off purchase, then I think it's not included in that.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 1st, 2022, 9:31 am

It's the work Office package (ProPlus?) , which makes me think my employers don't like Access
I may be able to request it if it's in support still

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 1st, 2022, 9:33 am

https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/microsoft-access/

Microsoft Access: Is it still relevant in 2022?
Microsoft Access is a time-worn relational database management system. It was innovative in its day but it faces a lot more competition in the RDBMS market today. Is it worth learning Access’s foibles to set up a personal database? Aren’t there better alternatives and newer options available? This topic has become increasingly divisive with industry opinions being quite split. We investigate. Cont...

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 1st, 2022, 9:47 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Is there anything better available?
Not interested in: bells and whistles, writing my own in Python, switching to Linux, etc etc

Difficult to define 'better' without knowing your needs. I like and have successfully used sqlite, you may use it already because it is often used as the repository for browser history etc. I believe it's the world's most widely used database.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQLite

RC

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 1st, 2022, 11:34 am

I used Access many years ago so should be able to get back up to speed, and my needs are very simple

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 1st, 2022, 12:50 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Is there anything better available?

Difficult to define 'better' without knowing your needs. I like and have successfully used sqlite, you may use it already because it is often used as the repository for browser history etc. I believe it's the world's most widely used database.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQLite

RC

If you're looking for an RMDBS it's hard to argue with an SQL based thing (sqlite, mySQL, postgres) - you can switch between them quite easily

If you want schema-less consider mongo

Use Access if you want to draw forms in Word for showing entries

If you want to bang your head against a wall get an old copy of FoxPro (or dBase or recital)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 1st, 2022, 2:06 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I used Access many years ago so should be able to get back up to speed, and my needs are very simple

I have used Access for many years - both personally and professionally. Now that I am retired, I have it installed with part of my subscription to Office 365 Personal. Access is particularly useful if you are required to Input or output data from/to Word or Excel documents, and it can be linked by ODBC to a large database like Oracle - and will provide a much more usable interface. Currently the maximum size of an Access database file is 2GBytes - which I suspect is unlikely to be a limitation in your case.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 2nd, 2022, 1:47 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:It's the work Office package (ProPlus?) , which makes me think my employers don't like Access
I may be able to request it if it's in support still

I was looking for Access for a project a couple of years ago and found that the MS 365 (£79 p.a.) was the most cost effective way of getting it. Although the project has been done I've stuck with MS 365 because I've started using OneDrive as an additional backup of non private data which also makes it accessible from other devices. Also knowing that I don't have to worry about back levels of software when I buy a new PC removes some hassle. Worth the price for me.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » July 2nd, 2022, 2:16 pm

LibreOffice is often mentioned on these boards, and has a database component called Base, which I would imagine would be quite similar to Access in the way that Writer and Calc are quite similar to Word and Excel (pre-ribbon).

However I haven’t used it personally. It may also still require Java to run, which could be offputting.

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » July 4th, 2022, 9:09 am

Free OpenOffice/LibreOffice Base will do the job and there is excellent help from their support forum. I have used it for databases to be shared with other 'home' users who, as this thread explains, don't normally have Access included in their home MS Office package. However, the Basic coding software is not as easy to use as Visual Basic/VBA, but I have found the support out there from OO enthusiasts is first rate. Python can also be used if you are more familiar with that.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 4th, 2022, 10:29 am

Here is a very arbitrary swerve: http://www.cardbox.com/index.htm

Never used it personally, but it was used in the office where I used to work - aeons ago! - when it was a commercially available product. It was a family firm and, following retirement, was made freely available via the website. As it. Just for your consideration.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”