Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

FTTP - Fibre To The Property questions?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

FTTP - Fibre To The Property questions?

Postby BullDog » August 18th, 2022, 6:31 pm

We have just been told we will have FTTP installed down our road. That's great news, we're bound to upgrade from our FTTC service to FTTP as soon as it's installed.

What I am not sure about is the situation with power cuts. Our area is fed by old electricity infrastructure that relies on old overhead lines. We often have power cuts, sometimes several hours long. I understand that with FTTP you can elect for the time being to keep the copper phone line. But they are being decommissioned in 2025 anyway. It seems to me we need to look at not having copper phone lines when we get FTTP.

Presumably, we will need a VOIP phone of some description in lieu of the regular landline. That's OK, but how will I dial emergency services if there's a powercut? We have an OK mobile phone signal but that's not as reliable as a copper landline. Can you even call 999 on a mobile phone?

Thanks.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: FTTP - Fibre To The Property questions?

Postby XFool » August 18th, 2022, 6:37 pm

BullDog wrote:Can you even call 999 on a mobile phone?

The one thing I can confirm is that, of course you can phone 999, or 112 (international emergency number), on a mobile phone. Indeed I understand you can even dial the emergency services on a mobile that lacks a SIM.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 18th, 2022, 6:43 pm

XFool wrote:
BullDog wrote:Can you even call 999 on a mobile phone?

The one thing I can confirm is that, of course you can phone 999, or 112 (international emergency number), on a mobile phone. Indeed I understand you can even dial the emergency services on a mobile that lacks a SIM.

Thanks. Providing the local mast still has power and the phone too. I know nothing about mobile phone masts, presumably they have power back up.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 18th, 2022, 6:55 pm

...Further. I understand that some battery backup facility was planned by Openreach, if required. But this was allegedly only of short duration. The last I heard this was all under consideration by BT/Openreach and the rollout of IP phone services on hold. I don't know what the current situation is.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 18th, 2022, 6:58 pm

It might be worth mentioning that since we're all going digital anyway, it might be worth considering a SIP service such as sipgate. I already use sipgate but when our current BT contract ends soon I'm going to get my landline number 'ported' to sipgate and save a few pounds a month by not having to pay for any of the BT landline charges.

RC

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 18th, 2022, 7:02 pm

XFool wrote:...Further. I understand that some battery backup facility was planned by Openreach, if required. But this was allegedly only of short duration. The last I heard this was all under consideration by BT/Openreach and the rollout of IP phone services on hold. I don't know what the current situation is.

When we had FTTP installed about three years ago it came with a battery backup box. The guy who fitted it said that it wouldn't work in the case of a power cut because it wasn't powerful enough :). He was right, it didn't. When we had a fault recently the Openreach bod just removed it.

RC

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 18th, 2022, 7:13 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
XFool wrote:...Further. I understand that some battery backup facility was planned by Openreach, if required. But this was allegedly only of short duration. The last I heard this was all under consideration by BT/Openreach and the rollout of IP phone services on hold. I don't know what the current situation is.

When we had FTTP installed about three years ago it came with a battery backup box. The guy who fitted it said that it wouldn't work in the case of a power cut because it wasn't powerful enough :). He was right, it didn't. When we had a fault recently the Openreach bod just removed it.

RC

That does beg the question if a decent APC style line interactive UPS would do the job... :D

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 18th, 2022, 7:22 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:

RC

That does beg the question if a decent APC style line interactive UPS would do the job... :D

I have considered that :)

RC

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 18th, 2022, 7:29 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:It might be worth mentioning that since we're all going digital anyway, it might be worth considering a SIP service such as sipgate. I already use sipgate but when our current BT contract ends soon I'm going to get my landline number 'ported' to sipgate and save a few pounds a month by not having to pay for any of the BT landline charges.

RC

Thanks. What's the hardware required for that? Assuming my existing Homehub 6 is still used for FTTP, I need a VOIP phone to plug into it? Sorry if that sounds stupid. I really have no idea about it. But when there's a power cut it won't work? Unless I too get a UPS for the modem/router?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 18th, 2022, 7:38 pm

BullDog wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:It might be worth mentioning that since we're all going digital anyway, it might be worth considering a SIP service such as sipgate. I already use sipgate but when our current BT contract ends soon I'm going to get my landline number 'ported' to sipgate and save a few pounds a month by not having to pay for any of the BT landline charges.

RC

Thanks. What's the hardware required for that? Assuming my existing Homehub 6 is still used for FTTP, I need a VOIP phone to plug into it? Sorry if that sounds stupid. I really have no idea about it. But when there's a power cut it won't work? Unless I too get a UPS for the modem/router?

You can either buy digital phones or use an adaptor and use your existing phones. The adaptor connects via an ethernet cable and a has a standard phone connection socket. I use an adaptor like this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/csbpvga/pap2t/administration/guide/pap2t_user.pdf

which can be bought for c. £20 if you look around, AliExpress for example.

Yes, the power issue is the same whichever route you choose. I think BT will provide a free adaptor or digital phone when you are 'digitised', but they won't work with SIP though.

RC

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » August 18th, 2022, 9:43 pm

Yes, ReformedCharacter.

Having just done it (moved to FFTP) BT offered either a digital phone twin pack or an adapter.

We went for the former, then bought a 3rd same phone from e-Bay (they are quite expensive standalone). One downstairs, one upstairs, one in the garden room.

Regards, Newroad

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”