Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Charging cable for MacBook

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Charging cable for MacBook

Postby Jonetc15 » March 15th, 2023, 4:28 pm

I know that this sounds silly, but I'm very old...

I want to buy a charger cable for my MacBook. On Amazon it shows cables to fit MacBooks and iPads. It reads as though they are interchangeable, but in fact the slot for my MacBook cable is larger than the slot for my iPad. I wonder if someone could very kindly post a link to Amazon to show me what to buy.

TIA

Jon

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Charging cable for MacBook

Postby Mike4 » March 15th, 2023, 4:38 pm

Hmmm curious. All my own MacBooks use a USB-C cable. Which is probably what an iPad uses, but I don't know for sure as I've never owned an iPad!

What does the charge socket on your MacBook look like? Does this plug in the following listing look correct for your laptop? I can see the problem when I see listings like this! How old is your laptop?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mac-Book-Pro-C ... 442&sr=8-4

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 15th, 2023, 5:22 pm

If you do a google image search for Macbook charge cables it should show the vairiables used over the years for Macbooks/Pros.

I'm guessing you've got a Magsafe port at the Macbook end but they vary too (versions 1 - 2 and 3) so you need to refine your question. :)

You can get adapters so a USB C to USB C cable could be used with a USB C female to Magsafe 1, 2 or 3 adapter.

You can get USB C to lightning cables or adapters too for any older iPad / iPhone needs.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 15th, 2023, 5:57 pm

If you click on the Apple icon in to very top left corner of your screen then click on "About this Mac" on the drop down menu. You will then get a panel showing exactly what model and year `MacBook you have. That will then inform what adapter you need.

John

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » March 16th, 2023, 6:32 am

Does it have to be Amazon? With batteries and cables I've always bought them directly from Apple. I am always amazed how helpful their support is, unless it changed, try giving the, a call and asking for help. Even with out a support package I've found they will take time to help.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » March 19th, 2023, 12:41 pm

Infrasonic wrote:If you do a google image search for Macbook charge cables it should show the vairiables used over the years for Macbooks/Pros.

I'm guessing you've got a Magsafe port at the Macbook end but they vary too (versions 1 - 2 and 3) so you need to refine your question. :)

You can get adapters so a USB C to USB C cable could be used with a USB C female to Magsafe 1, 2 or 3 adapter.

You can get USB C to lightning cables or adapters too for any older iPad / iPhone needs.

I really do apologise for not replying to the very helpful replies from MIKE 4, INFRASONIC, REDSTURGEON and FORMOVERFUNCTION. I have been rather unwell.

I can only say that I've often had help for the simplest tasks, particularly from INFRASONIC (who has often given me patient and kind support); and REDSTURGEON and MIKE 4 have contributed over the years. You've joined the club, as it were, FORMOVERFUNCTION!

Thank you and the many others who have helped me since my time at TMF very many years ago.

Warmest best wishes

Jon

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 22nd, 2024, 3:09 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:If you do a google image search for Macbook charge cables it should show the vairiables used over the years for Macbooks/Pros.

I really do apologise for not replying to the very helpful replies from MIKE 4, INFRASONIC, REDSTURGEON and FORMOVERFUNCTION. I have been rather unwell.

I can only say that I've often had help for the simplest tasks, particularly from INFRASONIC (who has often given me patient and kind support); and REDSTURGEON and MIKE 4 have contributed over the years. You've joined the club, as it were, FORMOVERFUNCTION!

Thank you and the many others who have helped me since my time at TMF very many years ago.

Warmest best wishes

Jon

Jon was a regular on the Technical Analysis board both here and at TMF. Always a gent, the above acknowledgement of other Fools was typical. Sadly, I suspect Jon didn't survive his bout of illness. That was his last post.

GS

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”