Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Bluetooth problem

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Mike4
Lemon Half

Bluetooth problem

Postby Mike4 » May 25th, 2024, 8:52 am

I bought a GoCycle the other day. An electric bike with some electronic wizardry where you choose an "assistance" profile on your phone. (Varying amounts of motor power per profile so the rider can balance effort with battery life.)

I downloaded the app, installed it on my iPhone, registered and logged into my GoCycle account in the app, turned the bike ON and pressed the "Connect" button in the app. After a few tries it suddenly connected and I chose my profile. All fine.

Then for various reasons I logged out of the app and logged in again. Now the GoCycle won't connect at all. I've tried all the permutations I can think of, of turning the bike on first or opening the app first, logging in and out but no connection happens. I even tried installing the app on my other iPhone and that wouldn't connect either. Then I tried connecting to different GoCycle. Still no joy.

The common factor is obviously ME. There must be something I'm doing wrong, but what?!

Any ideas most welcome...

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bluetooth problem

Postby Infrasonic » May 25th, 2024, 9:33 am

No eBike experience but I have multiple BT headphones and other devices and pair them with laptops/phones regularly.

If there are persistent issues connecting I normally go to settings and use 'forget this device' - then re pair it.

Maybe forget device and restart/cold boot might clear any cache issues on the phones.

Is there any way of factory resetting the ebike as a last resort?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 25th, 2024, 10:00 am

Check to see if there are any firmware updates available online for the ebike.
BT is notoriously inconsistent and so firmware updates often address 'tweaks'...

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » May 25th, 2024, 10:03 am

Is it just as simple as going to settings > Bluetooth and selecting the go cycle again.

These days lots of things fight to connect to your phone. Speakers, lights remotes etc

Even one of the kids trying it out and it's still paired to their phone.

Being old school, legs don't have connection issues ....... well not until the end of the day.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 25th, 2024, 10:10 am

Gerry557 wrote:Is it just as simple as going to settings > Bluetooth and selecting the go cycle again.

No, curiously neither bike appears in the list of Bluetooth "My devices" on either iPhone.

Does the bike look for and find the iPhone? Or does the iPhone look for and find the bike?!

Thanks for answers, both of you.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 25th, 2024, 10:29 am

Is there an off button on the ebike so you can effectively reboot it?

Sometimes with these kind of things if the pairing has been set up with specific device ID's and then apps have been logged out of or uninstalled/re- installed the pairing gets messed up.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 25th, 2024, 11:22 am

Infrasonic wrote:Is there an off button on the ebike so you can effectively reboot it?

Sometimes with these kind of things if the pairing has been set up with specific device ID's and then apps have been logged out of or uninstalled/re- installed the pairing gets messed up.

Yes there is, and I've nearly worn it out trying to get it paired!

I think I'd better resort to raising it as a bug with the manu, seeing as the (apparently) exact same failure to connect happens with two different bikes and two different iPhones.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 25th, 2024, 5:49 pm

Update:

Success!

By making the bike do a forced firmware upgrade, Bluetooth finally found the bike! (Or did the bike find my phone?)

Now I can fiddle with all the profiles and design my own. (It won't save though, which is the next problem. Maybe I should RTFM.)

Oh and the forced firmware update reports firmware is already the current version....

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 25th, 2024, 6:46 pm

Great you got it working - don't change anything now! :lol:

The firmware update/reflash would just have reset everything allowing the re-pairing.

It does sound like it is a bit clunky on the BT side of things. BT could do with a redesign really (especially the max bandwidth limitations) the problem is keeping all the backwards compatibility for legacy devices.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”