Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Why Linux?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ManInTheStreet

Re: Why Linux?

Postby ManInTheStreet » November 10th, 2016, 8:02 pm

But have you any decent reasons for preferring Linux ;) :lol:

Oh yes. Linux (Unix) is extremely powerful. (It is often said it is really just a kernel and its processes.) The Linux kernel is very modular, so it only uses what you need. That makes your OS use the resources of your computer much more efficiently. You can choose a version ('distribution') to your taste, but if is not a commercial one it probably won't have any of the nonsense you get with Windows, for example. And even if it does, you can easily disable them. None of this rubbish with 'applications' refusing to delete themselves.

You have a massive choice of applications. But for me the biggest selling point of Linux is bash -- the shell. That is so immensely powerful, and I often write scripts that do *exactly* what I want. So, for example, I have a script to download the current quote for the shares in my HYP, for example.

Furthermore, cron, the system scheduling service, is incredibly powerful. I have scripts that download data, scripts that massage data, and scripts that push data out to other systems I have (my main 'server' is a machine that is always on and is in my garage where it doubles as a heater!). I tell them what to do and when to do it and it will keep doing that (like a robot) until I say otherwise.

So in short, Linux puts ME in control. I tell it what I want to do, and I use it to manage my life my way, not the way some multinational corporation would want me to do.

Linux is like Brexit -- take back control. (Why did I say that? What an idiot!)

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » November 10th, 2016, 9:13 pm

Hi Tymeric,
Sorry I've lost you
- I do find it difficult to explain things when I don't know how much the other person knows. Anyway, I'll have another go...

Linux is organised in a set of hierarchical files and folders, as indeed is Windows but the naming is different. Starting right at the bottom is the "root" which is comprised of a large number of files and folders. One of these folders is named "home" and is where all the users personal data and programs are stored. Within "home" are further folders, one of which will be "tymeric", and if applicable, others will be "mrstymeric", "mastertymeric", "misstymeric" etc, ie one folder for each user of the computer. Each of these sub-folders holds the personal data and programs for the individual user.

Linux knows that there is a program called Thunderbird, (don't know how it knows, which shows my limited level of understanding) and it also knows that somewhere there will be data for the individual user. Given that normally one logs on as a user, then the operating system will then know where to go to find the individual's data. But, it won't know exactly where that data is stored. This is the purpose of the profile.ini file - to tell the operating system where the data is located.

Now, imagine you are a postie. You have a bundle of letters to deliver, say to nos 23, 37 & 68 Freetown Rd, Anytown. One way of delivering the letters would be to start from the sorting office and travel out to eg no. 23, return, and then travel out to no. 37. This is the equivalent of Linux absolute addressing. But it's rather inefficient. So instead, the postie goes to no. 23, but then knowing where he is, he then moves direct to no. 37. This is the equivalent of Linux relative addressing, ie the operating system (postie) knows where to go to next, relative to where he is now.

So, in the profiles.ini file, IsRelative=0 or 1, simply tells the operating system to either go direct to the required place from where it is now (relative addressing) or to go back to root and start from there. Path= therefore is either the full address, eg 37 Freetown Rd, Anytown for absolute addressing or 37 for relative addressing assuming that it is already at 23.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Regards,

ten0rman

Tymeric
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tymeric » November 11th, 2016, 5:42 am

Hi Ten0rman
Thanks for taking the time to explain.....have a virtual rec...

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 11th, 2016, 9:43 am

Oh yes. Linux (Unix) is extremely

A minor point, but Linux is not UNIX, it is UNIX-like.

RC

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » November 11th, 2016, 2:35 pm

I think too (as I suggested earlier and ManInTheStreet's post amply demonstrates) that whilst Linux is a wonderful OS for experts it isn't necessarily best for a casual user. It provides a 'power user' with a wealth of tools to do the kinds of task which everyday users likely have no need of, but the relative complexity, generally intractable documentation, and ability to do harm aren't recipes for success for a dabbler.

sudo rm -rf anyone?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 11th, 2016, 3:45 pm

quelquod wrote:I think too (as I suggested earlier and ManInTheStreet's post amply demonstrates) that whilst Linux is a wonderful OS for experts it isn't necessarily best for a casual user. It provides a 'power user' with a wealth of tools to do the kinds of task which everyday users likely have no need of, but the relative complexity, generally intractable documentation, and ability to do harm aren't recipes for success for a dabbler.

sudo rm -rf anyone?

I agree, but as many of us have collections of ageing hardware lying around then sticking Linux on them is one of the few ways of bringing them back into use, even if it is only for a bit of tinkering.

Running Linux on your main box with no plan B (like a dual boot option) and little technical knowledge is definitely not a great idea.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 11th, 2016, 4:06 pm

quelquod wrote:sudo rm -rf anyone?

We used to rebuild Solaris systems all the time, so for a laugh tried '#rm -rf /' to see how long it would take to die.

Surprisingly long, though of course it would have been unbootable within seconds.

Scott.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 14th, 2016, 8:29 pm

I use Ubuntu. It looks a little weird at first, but that is because the desktop is based on the Mac rather than Windows. There are settings to make it more Windows like, but I do not think that they improve matters.

The main weirdness is that menus for the in-focus window appear on the bar at the top of the screen when you move the mouse to it. Most applications (e.g.Google Chrome) have the main menus inside the window anyway. It is usually only the little-used menus that appear on the top bar. This behaviour can be changed, but I find the result rather messy.

You can also move the launcher to the bottom of the screen Windows style, but that takes up more space.

I found the hardest thing to adapt to was that the close down button is to be found at the top right hand corner of the screen, rather than the bottom left hand corner, but I soon got used to that.

Ubuntu is slicker, quicker and much less annoying that Windows 10. No Get Office, Bing or other nasties.

I had no problems with getting Ubuntu to talk to any other my devices. It instantly recognised my Motorola phone, whereas I had consult a forum and load gigabytes (literally) of software to accomplish the same on thing Windows. It also recognised my Kodak printer.

There is lots of good free software in Linux. I found Google's Chrome to be better than the open source version Chromium. I also like DigiKam for editing photos.

I have had to resort to the command line for a few power user things, like setting up Python libraries, but I easily found instructions on the web. Ubuntu is the most widely used Linux distribution, and it is usually easy to find instructions to do things on the web. Nonetheless, most users will never have to use the command line. Learning to use the GUI is easy.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » November 15th, 2016, 6:46 am

Hi

I have used Centos for many years now, for the reason they deliberately drag their heels on updates and unlike Fedora which I began with, isn't cutting edge and regularly finding things no longer functioned. My requirements are very basic.

I definitely agree with the comment, that Linux is not for the person who's got no interest in tinkering, even if the information is usually out there somewhere and all systems have their support forums.

One thing I do regularly is use 'Image for Linux' to create a disk copy, although I also of course, backup those frequently changing items daily. If I've ever experimented with changes I've then regretted, I have no hesitation in simply restoring the latest image. I have found it to be 100% reliable and it's good to know that option is always available. I keep three such images at a time on an external HD.

Sussexlad

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 15th, 2016, 9:51 am

Sussexlad wrote:Hi

I definitely agree with the comment, that Linux is not for the person who's got no interest in tinkering.

Sussexlad

I think that's going to unnecessarily scare some people away from trying Linux. If someone wants to browse the internet, use an office suite for word processing and spreadsheets, edit photos, play music, and a million and one other things, I can see absolutely no need to tinker. It's really no different to Windows or a Mac.

I use Ubuntu and Mint. Maybe the Linux distribution you use is different.

--kiloran

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » November 15th, 2016, 10:32 am

kiloran wrote:
I use Ubuntu and Mint. Maybe the Linux distribution you use is different.

--kiloran

One thing I have to do occasionally is update JRE on my Firefox browser by downloading the .tar.gz file.
Presumably some other distros do this automatically.

Sussexlad

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » November 18th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Firstly I'd like to thank all the contributors to this thread, fascinating reading. I have been using an iMac for the last 10 years, started with a 24" and then upgraded to a 27" in 2010.
I had previously used windows from version 3.1 with Dos 6.2 up to XP where I jumped ship to OSX. My iMac has been ( mostly ) a joy to use but recently has started to shut down on random occasions. If the worse comes to the worse and my computer goes kaput, which Linux distro would most resemble the Mac operating system?
I briefly flirted with the idea of a "Hackintosh" but using a Linux system would probably be the better option.

wilbobob
2 Lemon pips

Postby wilbobob » November 19th, 2016, 2:07 pm

Devjon I can't tell you which Distribution looks most like a Mac, but I can tell you that there are people on the forums.linuxmint.com that have Linuxmint on old Mac hardware. it could be worth having a browse over there.
I have Linuxmint on all my machines, and I've considered getting an old Macbook Pro just for the look and feel of the hardware, knowing that it will take Linuxmint, but even the older machines are still selling at prices higher than I would like.
Regards
Bob

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 19th, 2016, 10:42 pm

As I started this thread, I thought it only fair to mention that I'm still using Linux Mint as recommended upthread, and finding it straightforward and quick to use.

I don't think I'm going to be able to ditch Windows because I'm unable to find suitable replacements for my genealogy program or video editing software, but just about everything else I use seems to have an equally good alternative, and the dual boot option works just fine.

So thanks for all the help and advice.

Staffordian

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 19th, 2016, 11:21 pm

Wooster wrote:The main drawback for me is not in fact for me but my wife, who finds that she cannot collaborate as easily with colleagues who are Windows users, as documents shared between the two operating systems do not translate very well.

Interesting.

I'm not a great user of Office apps. I dislike the straightjacket they (all) put you in.

But it was as long ago as 1998 or 1999, a friend whose day job made her expert with MS Office was visiting. I had in front of me a document in Star Office (an ancestor of OpenOffice and LibreOffice) and was struggling over the right incantation to do something. My friend was able to tell me the exact sequence just by looking, and because Star Office and MS Office built in the same processes.

That was on a Linux machine. I had long since given up the straightjacket of Windows, and all the vast hoops one had to jump through to do anything other than what some application dictates. Not to mention plug-and-pray as was. Since then I've continued to use Linux, alongside Unix variants including Mac (which adopted BSD Unix with Mac OS X). I would also tend to recommend Linux over Mac, as the latter is a lot more work to set up and maintain, and lacks the huge software base available at your fingertips for Linux or FreeBSD. Though having said that, the screen quality of Apple's hardware kind-of compensates.

Tymeric
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tymeric » November 21st, 2016, 5:51 pm

I don't think I'm going to be able to ditch Windows because I'm unable to find suitable replacements for my genealogy program or video editing software,

It's a bit hit and miss but I use Mint and I have got Family Tree Maker 2006 to work through WINE whereas it did'nt work before.
As an alternative, you could try Gramps, a Linux genealogy programme, although it's a bit OTT for me as I just use FTM to print reports.

Administration....Software Manager....password....search for "gramps"...should be able to copy/transfer info using gedcom files?

Have you tried these Linux based video editing progs that are also available in Software Manager such as....

Avidemux

Blender

kdenlive

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 21st, 2016, 6:11 pm

Tymeric wrote:I don't think I'm going to be able to ditch Windows because I'm unable to find suitable replacements for my genealogy program or video editing software,

It's a bit hit and miss but I use Mint and I have got Family Tree Maker 2006 to work through WINE whereas it did'nt work before.
As an alternative, you could try Gramps, a Linux genealogy programme, although it's a bit OTT for me as I just use FTM to print reports.

Administration....Software Manager....password....search for "gramps"...should be able to copy/transfer info using gedcom files?

Have you tried these Linux based video editing progs that are also available in Software Manager such as....

Avidemux

Blender

kdenlive

Thanks for the advice Tymeric. I looked at gramps, but after years of using Legacy my initial impressions were not encouraging, and to be honest, I didn't fancy the learning curve for what appears at first glance an inferior product.

I will revisit video editing sotware. I don't recall the name of the one I looked at, but with the three options you suggest I might find one I can get on with :-)

Staffordian

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 21st, 2016, 6:40 pm

staffordian wrote:I will revisit video editing sotware. I don't recall the name of the one I looked at, but with the three options you suggest I might find one I can get on with :-)

I do all my video editing from the command line (or commands in a batch file). I use FFmpeg which is very powerful (and at the heart of most Open Source editing software anyway). It's widely used in the video industry. I've just completed an edit that involved assembling a single video with defined areas of the screen cut and pasted from multiple video sources.

Ffmpeg is Open Source and available for both Windows and Linux. http://ffmpeg.org/

The command line takes a bit of getting used to (for a DOS geek like me, that is) as the syntax follows Unix conventions.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 21st, 2016, 7:58 pm

Breelander wrote:I do all my video editing from the command line (or commands in a batch file). I use FFmpeg which is very powerful (and at the heart of most Open Source editing software anyway). It's widely used in the video industry. I've just completed an edit that involved assembling a single video with defined areas of the screen cut and pasted from multiple video sources.

Ffmpeg is Open Source and available for both Windows and Linux. http://ffmpeg.org/

The command line takes a bit of getting used to (for a DOS geek like me, that is) as the syntax follows Unix conventions.

Thanks for the recommendation Bree.

I've just had a look at a few Youtube videos describing the use of ffmpeg and I don't think it's for me.

As a railway enthusiast, I capture footage of mainline steam excursions using a basic HD camcorder then edit it down to perhaps a minute or two, fading between shots, changing sound levels, occasionally fiddling with the colour balance, adding opening titles, closing credits etc. And it invariably involves rethinks, and undoing edits after viewing the changes prior to converting the output to mp4 to upload to Youtube.

It takes me long enough with a straightforward "drag and drop" type program; I suspect the locos I film would be scrapped before I manage to edit and upload a film using ffmpeg...

Staffordian

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 21st, 2016, 8:00 pm

Video editing software.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... nciresolve

Free version available for Mac and Windows, the Linux version is paid only for some reason, but that might change at some point soon hopefully...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWCqMgB ... hnSUqnJuUk
Last edited by Infrasonic on November 21st, 2016, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”