Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Printer ink cartridge problem...

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Printer ink cartridge problem...

Postby Changeable » February 8th, 2018, 11:07 am

I have a HP Deskjet Ink Advantage, model 4625 and using it only very occasionally, I have managed to use the original HP supplied cartridges for some years now.

The ink level was getting low and when I looked to replace all 4 cartridges, my mouth dropped open at the HP price for a set of original cartridges. :o

On another much older HP printer that I used regularly for many years and has since died on me, I bought replacement cartridges from the make Pelikan and they always worked perfectly.

Not finding the Pelikan equivalent for a HP 4625 model, I bought other cartridges and after placing them, get a screen message that these are not original cartridges and I should replace them with only HP originals.

Question... Is there anything to do to circumnavigate this problem or should I just resign myself to paying an extortionate amount for another set of HP originals?

Changeable

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: Printer ink cartridge problem...

Postby scrumpyjack » February 8th, 2018, 11:15 am

Normally on HP printers these messages are advisory and can be ignored. I have 2 HP printers which warn about using non HP cartridges but then work perfectly well with the non HP cartridges.

It is advisable to be wary of installing firmware updates for printers as I have heard they sometimes then will only accept the manufacturers cartridges when before the update non oem cartridges worked.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 8th, 2018, 12:18 pm

HP issued and then reversed an automated firmware update that blocked third party cartridges after a public outcry and very negative press coverage some time ago.

If you have your printer networked via the router, make sure it doesn't auto update the firmware...

I think the state of play is that in general the printer manufacturers are cautious about actually blocking third party, otherwise they may incur the wrath of the various competition commissions around the world.

Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Postby Changeable » February 8th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Thanks infrasonic!

I will try reinstalling the offending ink cartridges again later this afternoon....

Changeable

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 8th, 2018, 12:46 pm

More here on the saga...http://www.zdnet.com/article/hp-backtra ... party-ink/

If you still have issues you may need to hunt down firmware without the block and manually install it to the printer.

Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Postby Changeable » February 8th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Interesting article on HP and I will take note for future purchases. I also have a Canon printer that works very well.

However it doesn't help with my immediate problem that I tried to print with my cheapy cartridges and got...

"The cartridges listed above are not intended for use in this printer as it is currently configured. Please refer to Printer Help. To order genuine HP replacements, click shop online..."

I checked on line to see if there was any software update, but there wasn't.

No quick fix? I'm not a techie...

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 8th, 2018, 5:01 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=HP+fi ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/14/hp-pu ... ate-again/

http://borncity.com/win/2017/09/14/firm ... artridges/

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp ... c05308850/

Your model doesn't appear to be covered by the issue/firmware fix from what I can see.

I have read before about people fooling the printer chip readers to get third party cartridges to work, but I don't know how convoluted the process is.
What happens if you put one or two of the old originals in and just use one/two third party to see if you can get any sort of print?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 8th, 2018, 5:49 pm

If your original HP cartridges lasted 'for some years' what are you worried about? Just replace them with HP originals again. I must say I have used non standard cartridges, or rather tried to and found that either they really do not work very well, dry up very quickly and bung up the print head or otherwise are unsatisfactory. I always buy originals.

Dod

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 8th, 2018, 6:07 pm

The other option if you still have the original cartridges would be to buy ink refill bottles, drill a hole in the cartridges, fill them up and plug with a suitable plastic flush fit cap (or blu tack at a pinch...)

I've seen those sort of kits sold online.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 8th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Infrasonic wrote:The other very messy option if you still have the original cartridges would be to buy ink refill bottles, drill a hole in the cartridges, fill them up and plug with a suitable plastic flush fit cap (or blu tack at a pinch...)

I've seen those sort of kits sold online.

FTFY :D

Slarti

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 8th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Ist hit from a Google search, not an endorsement...
https://www.inkexpress.co.uk/catalogue/ ... 3070A.html

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 8th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Personally I find the whole concept of cheap printers with expensive cartridges something of a rip-off - even if they don't employ the HP trick of rejecting 3rd-party cartridges.

As my printer is getting so long in the tooth that even the 3rd-party cartridges are getting hard to find, I'm looking for a replacement. The Epson EcoTank range looks interesting...

Epson wrote:There are no cartridges to replace; you simply top up the tanks with Epson ink bottles and keep on printing.
https://www.epson.co.uk/for-home/ecotank

...anyone got any experience to share?

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 8th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Simple answer - ditch the inkjet and buy a colour laser printer.

Doing so some years ago was one of the best decisions I ever made, and there are no compatibility problems using cheap cartridges.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 10th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Simple answer - ditch the inkjet and buy a colour laser printer.

Not really practical if the main use for the colour is printing glossy photos...

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 6th, 2018, 11:12 am

I have had to use originals on my HP Officejet printer for quite a while since HP fixed it that I can no longer use compatibles. I don't do all that much printing, mostly using only black, but the cartridges seem to run out much more quickly than Cartridge People tell me they should. One inserted in Sept. 2017 produced only very faint print at the end of Feb. Before I insert a new one, I have a vague recollection of someone suggesting a way of eking them out a bit longer, but perhaps I dreamed that. Ring any bells?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Bouleversee wrote: I don't do all that much printing, mostly using only black, but the cartridges seem to run out much more quickly than Cartridge People tell me they should. One inserted in Sept. 2017 produced only very faint print at the end of Feb...

Your problem is the bit I've put in bold. It's not the ink running out, it's more likely to be the print head is clogged with dry ink. Some cleaning tips here...
http://www.inkpal.com/ink-news/what-to- ... s-clogged/

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 6th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I have had to use originals on my HP Officejet printer for quite a while since HP fixed it that I can no longer use compatibles. I don't do all that much printing, mostly using only black, but the cartridges seem to run out much more quickly than Cartridge People tell me they should. One inserted in Sept. 2017 produced only very faint print at the end of Feb. Before I insert a new one, I have a vague recollection of someone suggesting a way of eking them out a bit longer, but perhaps I dreamed that. Ring any bells?

One way to extend the life of ink or toner cartridges is to print in 'draft' or 'fast' mode.

For many applications the results are perfectly satisfactory, even though the quality is likely to be visibly lower compared to the same document printed with the 'normal' setting. Also, the extent of the difference varies between manufacturers and models of printer.

Watis

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 6th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Many thanks to both for useful tips. I don't know where the instruction book is for my HP officejet so don't know whether it had a self cleaning facility but will try the diy approach as soon as I have time. Would like to print out that leaflet but obviously can't at the moment.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 6th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I don't know where the instruction book is for my HP officejet so don't know whether it had a self cleaning facility...

Almost every printer has a self cleaning option, usually run from the printer's utilities in Windows. Here's HP's general instruction for using theirs...
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/bud09657

For detailed instruction, search here adding your printer model.
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/search?q=d ... &filter=-1

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 6th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Thanks again, Bree, the fount of all knowledge! I'm just the opposite.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”