Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Gmail + Outlook 2016

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
didds
Lemon Half

Gmail + Outlook 2016

Postby didds » February 9th, 2018, 1:10 pm

is anybody using gmail account with Outlook (2016) having any problems with IMAP?

A mate does this, and the last few days has experienced some wierdness, culminating in a total lack of connection in outlook

initially it was complaining about the account details not being correct. That was solved by visiting (as the error pop up suggested)

support.google.com/mail/answer/78754

The account was already set to be available to less secure apps. There was a link at the bottom
https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

Following that and its instructions solved the issue [ it also solved the issue for one of my own accounts via thunderbird ]

Then today the failure to connect returned (same suggestion). No joy this time though. I helped him change his password - that was checked by being bale to login to the webmail account absolutely fine (as did the previous password I hasten to add. I don;t think there was a problem, or is a problem, with the password as it transpires. this was just belt andbvraces)>

With the new password, webmail is fine. But... outlook not. We've also done the mundane rebooting etc. No joy at all.

Ive subsequently configured that gmail account in a thunderbird client. All absolutely fine.

Anybody come across this odd outlook + gmail imap issue?

didds

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Gmail + Outlook 2016

Postby Infrasonic » February 9th, 2018, 2:05 pm

If it continues to play up try using an Outlook.com account as an IMAP mirror to the Gmail one and then get Outlook PIM to log into that (Outlook.com).
(Don't use the Outlook.com beta as all the useful IMAP/POP and aliasing options aren't available there, I just had to revert my aggregator account to get them back as menu options, [although they still work as before...])

In Outlook.com go to the gear wheel at the top right, Options/Accounts/Connected accounts.

You can set up the Outlook.com account to alias the Gmail one for SMTP send if you need to, you can't do it the other way unless you have paid for Gmail (I think. I still have it as a legacy service but they stopped it on new free Gmail accounts to cut down on free SMTP spamming abuses...)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”