Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Spam call increase?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Spam call increase?

Postby ten0rman » February 12th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Hi folks,

We seem to be having an increase in the number of spam type calls to us, up to two or three a day now from perhaps one a month or so. They are the usual sort of thing - answer it quickly and then you get some foreigner asking for me by name, eg Mr. T En0rman (well not quite, but you know what I mean. Never a mention of my middle initial either. Leave it long enough, and there's no-one there. All the usual sort of annoying junk stuff - international, number withheld etc. Oh, and I'm ex-directory, and they are all on the landline.

So, is anyone else suffering from an increase? Because if not, then it makes me wonder if one of the internet purchases I've done recently is the culprit.

Just a thought, that's all. Maybe I'll start being rude to them, you know, like "Why don't you go away?" Or something similar.

Cheers,

Ten0rman

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Spam call increase?

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 12th, 2018, 4:28 pm

I started getting a load a week or two back, then they stopped again.
They were the the automated "hello, we understand you're recently been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault.."
I just block the numbers on my iphone
Checking a recent one by Googling, it looks like it was a 'This is Microsoft in Reading, we believe you have a computer virus' thing.
Wish I'd taken that one, I could have asked them what they could see from their window.

I'm sure I set up with the TPS, but doesn't seem to work 100%

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 12th, 2018, 4:52 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I just block the numbers on my iphone

So they've got your mobile number, rather than or as well as your landline? For anyone still with BT on landlines, they offer a 1572 service to blacklist numbers.

Just to remind ourselves what the scam is here, the "your computer/broadband is running slowly" callers are looking at best to sell you some worthless software and at worst to install malware. The "car accident" people may be looking to get your name as a lead for accident claim legal firms. Alternatively it might just be an advance fee fraud.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 12th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 12th, 2018, 5:25 pm

I've not noticed any increase in spam calls. In fact, between 2nd Dec 2017 and 11th Jan 2018, I had none whatsoever, which struck me as extremely odd. I thought perhaps some of the major culprits might have been shut down, but sadly they've now restarted.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » February 12th, 2018, 5:33 pm

I keep getting ones that are silence when answered and then a voice says 'Goodbye' and it rings off.

Presume it's a list seller using a computer call system to check validity of the numbers.

Caller display shows a number starting with 0014 but those can be spoofed.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 12th, 2018, 5:49 pm

supremetwo wrote:I keep getting ones that are silence when answered and then a voice says 'Goodbye' and it rings off.

Presume it's a list seller using a computer call system to check validity of the numbers.

I assumed that such calls were failed predictive dialling calls (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictive_dialer). Would it be worth spending call costs on checking for valid numbers??

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 12th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I find that these calls come in cycles of two or three months. It gets quite bad, then they stop, and then the cycle starts again. I assume that somebody, somewhere has sold a batch of numbers including mine, and that it has a use-by date after which the recipients can be expected to block the calls or get stroppy. At the moment they've stopped. I expect they'll be back soon enough. :roll:

BJ

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » February 12th, 2018, 6:38 pm

I recently got a Samsung mobile which comes with a system which both tracks the names of callers who are not in my contacts list which is quite useful, but also identifies spamming call centres.

I made the mistake of allowing my mobile number on a domain registration recently and have had a lot of people make calls trying to sell services linked to that. Interestingly some of the foreign companies actually used Birmingham DID numbers so it looked to be a local call.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » February 12th, 2018, 9:40 pm

I keep getting ones that are silence when answered and then a voice says 'Goodbye' and it rings off.

I had one of those today, first for several weeks. Once I get one, it is usually followed by a flock of them until either they get fed up, or actually speak to me, though by then I am normally quite fed up and disinclined to be as polite as might otherwise be.

I am registered with the TPS and it does make a reduction in nuisance calls but won’t stop them all. Since getting my first smartphone about a year ago I have been a bit paranoid about letting anyone know about the number, so only a handful of people and my mobile network company have it so far.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » February 13th, 2018, 6:43 am

Hi

I have a BT8500, there's a later model now and never get bothered by spam calls. Only ever enter my landline number on sites but we are here much of the time so available but I don't actually recall any genuine commercial calls. The unknown numbers which have called get blacklisted and there's only one now which persists in trying, something like 033310..... It definitely makes for a peaceful life with the additional benefit that you know who's calling before answering.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » February 13th, 2018, 10:10 am

I have noticed a 'regular' increase in such calls...both silent and 'offers never to repeat' soon after using the comparison sites
I try to use different sites but there really are only 3 or 4 so choice is limited and using one is not a thorough effort

i was told...though never used it so....
when asked for phone number..give 0333 888 8888............this goes to a system that tells callers to use you email address
which they will not have if just SPAM

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 13th, 2018, 10:28 am

mutantpoodle wrote:i was told...though never used it so....
when asked for phone number..give 0333 888 8888............this goes to a system that tells callers to use you email address
which they will not have if just SPAM

Interesting, I'd not heard of that one. There are some more details here:

http://truecall38.com/

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 13th, 2018, 11:22 am

For web forms that require name/address/phone details before you can get what you want I just put the companies own details in and then use a temporary email address like ten minute mail to get the brochure/info.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » February 13th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Mutantpoodle,

You may have hit on something for me. About 10 or so weeks ago I did indeed use comparison sites for my house insurance, so one of them may indeed be the culprit.

I also like the 0333 888 88888 idea.

Thanks for those thoughts.

To everyone else.
It's actually more annoying than anything else, and sometimes I've tried complying, well not really, perhaps toying with them might be a better description. Trouble is, I soon run out of patience! And that's when I start to get irritated. Mind you, being on Linux helps, especially as one of them thought I meant Apple! Pretending to be an old man, actually being in my mid-70's so no pretence, can also be quite good fun.

In respect of 10 minute email addresses, I'm still on the BT/Yahoo email system which allows me to have up to 500 disposable email addresses. Trouble is that I have to set each one up as I come to need it, and that takes time. Also, I'm not sure just how disposable they are. Are they permanently disposed of, in which case I wouldn't be able to resurrect them somewhere down the line. Anyway, emails aren't the problem, it's the telephone calls. I've also taken to refusing to give out my mobile no. on the grounds that generally I'm at home most of the time so they can use the landline, especially as the mobile spends perhaps 90% of its time switched off..

Regards,

ten0rman

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 13th, 2018, 5:36 pm

The whole point about ten minute mail and their ilk is there is nothing to setup, you just go to the website and immediately get a temporary address valid for ten (or more) minutes.
https://10minutemail.com

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 13th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Infrasonic wrote:The whole point about ten minute mail and their ilk is there is nothing to setup, you just go to the website and immediately get a temporary address valid for ten (or more) minutes.
https://10minutemail.com

Is there any point in even going to that amount of effort? If I have to insert an email address, for example to unblock content, I just invent one - fake@email.com, for example.

I've never had one rejected as invalid, and I suspect all the website checks is that it matches the format of an email address.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 14th, 2018, 7:52 am

You missed the point CK, which was a valid temporary email address to get something like a brochure or other info, which a made up email address won't achieve...

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”