Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Problem with outlook.com - general, or just me?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Problem with outlook.com - general, or just me?

Postby Jonetc15 » February 15th, 2018, 10:59 am

Yesterday around 19:00 hours I wrote an e-mail to a friend on my iPad, adding to a comment on an email that I had sent yesterday morning. When I pressed ‘Send’ I waited roughly 15 minutes while outlook.com constantly displayed ‘Sending’. Eventually the e-mail was sent, and at the same time an email from my friend arrived showing, that he had sent it an hour earlier.

After replying to thank him I noticed that my folders were not in the same order in the drop down list, with the ‘Sent’ folder moved to the bottom of the list. I switched my iPad off, and when I switched it back on later in the evening the folders were in the correct order.

I wondered whether there had been a problem with outlook.com generally, or (and this is my worry) whether there had been any problem specific to my e-mail address and therefore any security problem.

All comments/guidance will be most gratefully received.

ATB

Jon

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Problem with outlook.com - general, or just me?

Postby Infrasonic » February 15th, 2018, 4:22 pm

If you want to see if there is a general problem with an online service go here...http://downdetector.co.uk/

Outlook.com status is here...http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/outlook

I wouldn't worry, everything you've described is stuff I've experienced with most online services at some point or other over the years.
There may have been scheduled maintenance that affected how much overhead they had in the system or it may just have been an 'issue'.

Remember that at peak hours everything is busy, your internet connection, the web servers, the mobile networks et al, all maxed out on contention ratios.

If you go on the internet at quiet times like 5-6am GMT (when much of the USA is asleep also) then you'll generally find it is much speedier all round.
If I ever want to do a large update or file download then I'll do it at that time.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Re: Problem with outlook.com - general, or just me?

Postby Jonetc15 » February 15th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Infrasonic wrote:If you want to see if there is a general problem with an online service go here...http://downdetector.co.uk/

Outlook.com status is here...http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/outlook

I wouldn't worry, everything you've described is stuff I've experienced with most online services at some point or other over the years.
There may have been scheduled maintenance that affected how much overhead they had in the system or it may just have been an 'issue'.

Remember that at peak hours everything is busy, your internet connection, the web servers, the mobile networks et al, all maxed out on contention ratios.

If you go on the internet at quiet times like 5-6am GMT (when much of the USA is asleep also) then you'll generally find it is much speedier all round.
If I ever want to do a large update or file download then I'll do it at that time.

Very many thanks indeed Infasonic for your trouble in writing this reassuring reply. I was also puzzled earlier today when I tried to change the password of a separate outlook.com account. I got to the page where a linked ‘recovery’ email address was shown (literally two letters - eg xx@yahoo.com) which was completely unlike any of my email addresses. Although it looked like a simple error, as a precaution I have changed that and other passwords.

Thanks again

Jon

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”