Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

managing multiple files with different passwords

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
torata
Lemon Slice

managing multiple files with different passwords

Postby torata » March 17th, 2018, 9:52 am

I receive a fair number of single files and zips (docs, pdfs, xls) from a variety of clients that are password protected, with passwords in separate emails. I have to open some of these files multiple times. I'm reluctant to take off the client passwords or change them all to a common one.

Using an excel file to manage these files and passwords is too tedious.

Does anyone know of any utilities that are designed to cope with this. Something like Keepass on a local install that has a single login, then remembers the password of each file based on location of file and/or other attributes.

One option for pdfs at least looks to be to use separate browser as default for pdfs, utilizing a password manager, but it's not the best as there are fewer functions when viewed in a browser like rotate and annotate.

Are there other (software) options? Basically I want to click on the file, the software picks it up, remembers what the password is, and adds it in. I'm a big believer in software doing the work.

Other options don't seem attractive:
- bitlocker or other OS encryption is not an option
- using a single encrypted container/zip in which to unencrypt all client files will mean files from one client being in two places
- larger encrypted container/zip to contain all of my docs will bump up backup time, also worried about hassle of corruption
- using smaller containers/zip files for each client isn't really an option as it's the same challenge of managing multiple passwords

torata

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: managing multiple files with different passwords

Postby Itsallaguess » March 17th, 2018, 10:20 am

torata wrote:I receive a fair number of single files and zips (docs, pdfs, xls) from a variety of clients that are password protected, with passwords in separate emails. I have to open some of these files multiple times. I'm reluctant to take off the client passwords or change them all to a common one.

Using an excel file to manage these files and passwords is too tedious.

Does anyone know of any utilities that are designed to cope with this. Something like Keepass on a local install that has a single login, then remembers the password of each file based on location of file and/or other attributes.

Keepass entries can be assigned attachments, and given that you could create a 'Password Group' for each client, you could either add multiple file attachments to the client group, or you could sub-group each attachment under a particular client group, with passwords for each attachment either held in the single group, or held individually in sub-client groups under the main client group.

Keeping to individual groups for each file makes things a little quicker, as it enables the right-click 'Copy Password' option, but I think trading those seconds off being able to hold all client files under a single client group, with all files attached to that group and the passwords simply listed in the 'Notes' section for each group, would be a fair compromise to gain a simpler group client-level group structure.

The above at least offers two options for Keepass to help you out here, so it'll be worth spending 10 minutes having a play with it just to see if the attachments options might help.

Whilst you've said that you'd prefer to keep the passwords on the files, if this is for security purposed then using Keepass to hold the attachments might that this requirement becomes a little less of a priority, given that Keepass offers good password-level security anyway, and this might offer a third file-management option to consider too.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Re: managing multiple files with different passwords

Postby vrdiver » March 17th, 2018, 10:56 am

Following on from itsallaguess' recommendation, I second that approach, with perhaps one small change.

Assuming an individual client sends you multiple documents each with its own password, may make a client group difficult (without changing the password), but you can use Keypass in the following way:

(Looks longwinded, but it's quite quick to set up!)

Create a client folder in Keypass (Edit | Add Group).
(Create sub-groups according to whatever filing hierarchy you need!)

In the appropriate group folder add a new entry:
Title: name of document you want to work with
User name: doesn't matter
Password: the password from the client
URL: full path and name of document on your machine e.g. D:\data\client\payswell\legal\sensitiveinfo.pdf

Now go to the "Auto-Type" tab and ensure "Enable auto-type for this entry" is checked.
The select "Override default sequence"
Change default sequence to {PASSWORD}{ENTER} (i.e. remove {USERNAME}{TAB} )
Click OK
Select File | Save

To make life easier, make this one-time change:
In the Tools Menu, Select Options | Integration
Create an "Auto-type selected entry" key sequence (e.g. CTRL, Alt + S )
Click OK
Select File | Save

To use, when you want to open the client file, open keypass and select the appropriate document.
Right-click | URL | Open (or CTRL-U if you prefer keyboard shortcuts).

When it opens and invites you to enter the password, press your auto-type key sequence and the password should be entered and the document opens...

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”