Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Yahoo Search

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Yahoo Search

Postby bruncher » March 17th, 2018, 10:19 am

I normally use Yahoo search as default, in Firefox browser. After some Firefox updates this morning, however, the choice of search engines within standard settings in Firefox has removed Yahoo as an option.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know of a reason why it's happening?

(I try to avoid Google where possible.)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Yahoo Search

Postby Itsallaguess » March 17th, 2018, 10:25 am

bruncher wrote:
I normally use Yahoo search as default, in Firefox browser. After some Firefox updates this morning, however, the choice of search engines within standard settings in Firefox has removed Yahoo as an option.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know of a reason why it's happening?

There's a guide here that should help you get Yahoo back -

Add a search engine

Many websites offer search engines that you can add to Firefox. This allows you to search with that website's search engine, directly from your Firefox address bar or Search bar.

If you don't see a Search bar in Firefox, see My search bar is gone - how to add it back.

To add a specific engine, visit the website for your desired search engine. (We'll use youtube.com as an example.)
Click the magnifying glass on the Search bar, then click Add "YouTube".

The search engine will appear in your built-in search options.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ad ... rch-engine

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » March 17th, 2018, 10:34 am

Hi Itsallaguess

Thanks for that. While we're here, do you recommend any particular search engine?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 17th, 2018, 10:36 am

bruncher wrote:
Thanks for that. While we're here, do you recommend any particular search engine?

Over the years I've mainly uses Google or DuckDuckGo (https://duckduckgo.com/)

DuckDuckGo has the advantage of not collecting or sharing any personal information, which might be something that you consider.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 17th, 2018, 12:11 pm

DDG is good for anonymity (I use it for non logged in activity), I just find its actual search results to be lacking a bit when compared to Google.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 17th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:DuckDuckGo has the advantage of not collecting or sharing any personal information, which might be something that you consider.

Google doesn't collect personal information, unless you give it to them by signing up for services like gmail or googledocs and stay logged in[1].

What they do do is to track your behaviour statistically, so they can characterise you for advertising purposes as someone likely to be interested in X but not Y. Their power to do that comes from google ads and other google contents (like scripting APIs) used on huge numbers of websites.

[1] Android is rather harder to use and preserve privacy, because you probably want to sign up to get updates and apps, and it'll leave you permanently logged in if you let it.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”