Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Any security risk using iPad without any Restrictions?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Any security risk using iPad without any Restrictions?

Postby Jonetc15 » April 13th, 2018, 4:10 pm

I mentioned suddenly being asked for and not having a Passcode to enable Restrictions on my iPad (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11136). I'm proposing to get an IT professional to help me to sort this out, but until then it raises a practical issue as to security.

After I have visited even one website via Safari there is far more than the usual amount of website data to remove without 'Restrictions' enabled. So I remove all such data and check by tapping on 'Advanced' that nothing has avoided deletion. Is there any increased security risk in using an iPad without any Restrictions enabled?

Very many thanks in advance for any replies

Jon

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Re: Any security risk using iPad without any Restrictions?

Postby kyu66 » April 16th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Jon,

Security is not affected by having 'Restrictions' disabled, this is the default setting (and the setting I use on my devices). I am not sure what you are referring to re Safari, but I don't think that restrictions enabled/disabled will be the cause.

'Restrictions' are parental controls, so are not necessary to be enabled unless you give your device to a child who may inadvertently or otherwise access something they should not.

Have a read of this it should put your mind at rest.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201304

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Re: Any security risk using iPad without any Restrictions?

Postby Jonetc15 » April 17th, 2018, 11:48 am

kyu66 wrote:Security is not affected by having 'Restrictions' disabled, this is the default setting (and the setting I use on my devices). I am not sure what you are referring to re Safari, but I don't think that restrictions enabled/disabled will be the cause.

'Restrictions' are parental controls, so are not necessary to be enabled unless you give your device to a child who may inadvertently or otherwise access something they should not.

Have a read of this it should put your mind at rest.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201304

Very many thanks indeed, kyu66. Yes, I use Safari exclusively as my iPad browser. All is now clear! I simply hadn't taken in the fact that Restrictions are parental controls. I am most grateful to you (not for the first time...) for your advice.

ATB

Jon

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”