Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Nexus 7 & BBC iplayer "download failed"

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Nexus 7 & BBC iplayer "download failed"

Postby ivahunch » April 12th, 2018, 10:20 pm

As it was taking a long time for it to open, I have just reinstalled BBC iplayer on my Nexus 7 tablet. Although it will play programmes on wifi, it now refuses to download beyond 0% and I now keep getting "download failed" error. I have cleared the data and cache and reinstalled several times but it still won't download. DAK how to fix this error?

ivahunch
2 Lemon pips

Re: Nexus 7 & Phone & BBC iplayer "download failed"

Postby ivahunch » April 13th, 2018, 8:01 am

And now also my Android phone!

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Re: Nexus 7 & BBC iplayer "download failed"

Postby Gaggsy » April 13th, 2018, 9:47 am

Within the app there is a help section and a list of FAQs.
One of these is "Why are downloads failing on my Android or Amazon Fire device?" and a list of things to try.
The issue seems to have been around for some time because there's an update from 12th October (no year stated!)

The final suggestion is to try the BBC iPlayer Mobile beta app - whatever that is.

BTW I tried downloading on my Android phone (Samsung S7) and also got the "download failed" message.

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » April 13th, 2018, 11:53 am

Seemed to be bust on my Huawei Mediapad after the latest update. I uninstalled, rebooted and installed again and it is fine now.

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » April 13th, 2018, 12:32 pm

I spoke to soon. Downloads get to 100%, then fail!

On my mobile downloads work, but the iPlayer is not up to date.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 13th, 2018, 1:16 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:
On my mobile downloads work, but the iPlayer is not up to date.

In these situations, where an app was working and an update has caused problems, then it's nice to be able to get back to where you were if possible, with the previous installed version of the app causing the problem.

Of course, this is difficult once an update has been carried out, but in your case you might have a relatively simple solution -

1. Install the free ES File Explorer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ndroid.pop) on the mobile with the working version.

2. Use this guide to create a back-up APK file of the existing (working) app install (http://www.nairaland.com/1534957/how-ba ... d-apps-apk)

3. Un-install the non-working version of the app on the device causing problems

4. Transfer the APK file to the device you want to install the old version on, and set it to allow installs from the external APK file (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-inst ... ogle-play/)

5. Install the APK file onto the device that was having issues.

6. Use as normal - but don't now update the app....

ES File Explorer can also be used to create APK files of working apps before an update is carried out. Obviously this isn't helpful once these issues materialise, but I mention it here in case it might help anyone in future.

Old versions of APK app installs can often be found on the internet, but obviously carry some risk as to their pedigree. Creating your own APK files, or asking a friend to create one using the above method if their earlier versions still work, can be a useful get-out in these situations.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 13th, 2018, 1:17 pm

The Android iPlayer app was updated within the last day or so. Report the fault and wait for the update to the update...

I've had app updates in the past that have updates within a hour or so, which begs the question why did they issue the initial update if they found the problem and fix for it so quickly... :roll:

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » April 13th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Very useful thanks Itsallaguess. I will not do it in this case as I only use the download facility if I am travelling, in case I get stuck somewhere. Something I have on my todo list is to learn how to write Android apps. An app to backup apps prior to running an update might prove useful, or is there already one that does this?

Edit: Actually there appear to be loads of backup apps!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 13th, 2018, 1:55 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:Very useful thanks Itsallaguess. I will not do it in this case as I only use the download facility if I am travelling, in case I get stuck somewhere. Something I have on my todo list is to learn how to write Android apps. An app to backup apps prior to running an update might prove useful, or is there already one that does this?

Titanium backup is generally regarded as the go to Android app with all the bells and whistles which will backup pretty much everything, either globally or individually.

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-a ... oo-608014/

Android is a bit confusing on the back up front (it's only partial at best within stock Android, although more has appeared with each major OS update.) The third party apps that are of any real use (root/full backup) tend to be quite complicated.

I remember when fully backing up my old Symbian OS smart phones to my PC used to be a five minute one click job...

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » April 13th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Titanium backup seems to need root access. Not sure I want to do that. For the most part I don't need anything sophisticated. Contacts, messages, etc. get backed up to Google, Samsung and Whatsapp. Photos/videos get backed up to Onedrive. The only thing that would be useful is I think the ability to undo an app upgrade. A bit silly really that Play Store does not support this.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”