Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Excel 2016

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Excel 2016

Postby Lesleyfool » April 20th, 2018, 10:04 am

I have upgraded to Excel 2016 and my spreadsheet is doing strange things.

It is suddently showing four decimal places on anything I input. I have managed to correct this but I notice that if I open a new worksheet if I input 55.00 for example it goes in as 55.000.

If I open a new worksheet and do the same it goes in as 55.00.

Can anyone help please?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Excel 2016

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 20th, 2018, 10:58 am

Lesleyfool wrote:I have upgraded to Excel 2016 and my spreadsheet is doing strange things.

It is suddently showing four decimal places on anything I input. I have managed to correct this but I notice that if I open a new worksheet if I input 55.00 for example it goes in as 55.000.

If I open a new worksheet and do the same it goes in as 55.00.

Can anyone help please?

There are the usual options for cell formatting - Home > Format > Format Cells

You can set general preferences File > Options > Advanced > Editing Options > Automatically add decimal point (x places).

HTH

RC

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 20th, 2018, 11:26 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:There are the usual options for cell formatting - Home > Format > Format Cells

You can set general preferences File > Options > Advanced > Editing Options > Automatically add decimal point (x places).

I note that LesleyFool seems to be complaining that this is only happening in spreadsheets that were created before upgrading to 2016. Newly created spreadsheets have 2 decimal places as expected, but opening a new worksheet in an old spreadsheet doesn't. Would your solution help in the case of opening a new worksheet in the old spreadsheets?

We also don't know what version of Excel these old spreadsheets were created by, that info may be relevant.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 20th, 2018, 11:49 am

Breelander wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:There are the usual options for cell formatting - Home > Format > Format Cells

I note that LesleyFool seems to be complaining that this is only happening in spreadsheets that were created before upgrading to 2016. Newly created spreadsheets have 2 decimal places as expected, but opening a new worksheet in an old spreadsheet doesn't. Would your solution help in the case of opening a new worksheet in the old spreadsheets?

We also don't know what version of Excel these old spreadsheets were created by, that info may be relevant.

By coincidence I have spent about the last 3 months developing an application in Excel, during that time I have upgraded Office from 2007 > 2010 > 2016 (don't ask why!). Checking sheets created in earlier versions I cannot reproduce that particular problem. I note the option I mentioned File > Options > Advanced > Editing Options is (or is at least on my upgrade) left blank and unselected by default.

RC

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » April 23rd, 2018, 8:47 pm

Hi

My previous version of excel was 2010 and i was on windows 10 and still am.

New workbooks are all fine. It does not have automatic decimal places ticked.

I have reformatted so that it is now two decimal places but im wondering if i need to copy it all into a new workbook?????????????????

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”