Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Controlled Folder Access

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Controlled Folder Access

Postby mc2fool » September 14th, 2018, 11:46 am

Infrasonic wrote:Both links take me to the same post, which is the one I intended. Weird...

Your link takes me to the top of page 3 of the topic, a Nov 2017 post about registry backups, whereas Bree's link takes me to a post today on page 10 about a feature in an upcoming upgrade to allow recently blocked apps.

An improvement of sorts, I guess. So after CFA has, e.g., buggered up an install you can more easily unblock the installer and then retry the installation.

Far better would be if Windows suspended the offending process and asked you there and then if you wanted to allow it. You know, like the UAC prompt does...

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Controlled Folder Access

Postby Infrasonic » September 14th, 2018, 12:01 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:Both links take me to the same post, which is the one I intended. Weird...

Your link takes me to the top of page 3 of the topic, a Nov 2017 post about registry backups, whereas Bree's link takes me to a post today on page 10 about a feature in an upcoming upgrade to allow recently blocked apps.

An improvement of sorts, I guess. So after CFA has, e.g., buggered up an install you can more easily unblock the installer and then retry the installation.

Far better would be if Windows suspended the offending process and asked you there and then if you wanted to allow it. You know, like the UAC prompt does...

I agree, although as I discovered a while back even when in a non admin user account, hitting NO to a third party app install UAC prompt (Firefox in this case) resulted in the app installing anyway. Which I was not best pleased about...
(I was testing out the strength of the W10 'app store only' facility which I'd set up in the admin account to stop rogue third party downloads, and which appears to have failed dismally as a second line of defence security ploy...)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”