Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Windows 10 April 2018 Update to be released April 30th

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Windows 10 April 2018 Update to be released April 30th

Postby Breelander » April 28th, 2018, 1:39 pm

The next Features Update to Windows 10, version 1803 is to be released on Monday April 30th. Initially it will only be available to install manually through the Media Creation Tool or the Update Assistant. The phased rollout through Windows Update will begin on Tuesday May 8th.

Rumour had it that this version could be called 'Spring Creators Update', but the official name has now been announced as being the 'April 2018 Update'.

Microsoft wrote:With Windows 10, we’ve focused on delivering the most modern and most secure operating system. Since its initial launch, we delivered two updates with features designed to enable the creator in each of us. With our latest major release – the Windows 10 April 2018 Update – we want to give you back some of your greatest currency, your time. Our hope is that you’ll have more time to do what matters most to you – create, play, work or simply do what you love....

...The April 2018 Update will be available as a free download beginning Monday, April 30.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... M0TDDLW.97

Waiting for windows update is the safest way to get a Features Update like this one. As with previous Features Updates, the initial phase of the rollout will only target those machines that have been tested and found to be compatible. Older machines will get it later, those with known issues will not get the update until a fix is in place. In previous phased rollouts some machines have had to wait three months or more before getting the update.

Those who wish to be 'early adopters' should look for this page to change from saying "Windows 10 Fall Creators Update now available" to "Windows 10 April 2018 Update now available", expected around 6pm UK time (10am at Microsoft, Redmond). Note that updating manually will bypass windows update's 'pause' for machines with known issues, so do so at your own risk.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows 10 April 2018 Update to be released April 30th

Postby stewamax » April 30th, 2018, 11:02 am

...and I will be installing manually this evening assuming Redmond's servers can handle the expected volume of downloads.
Of the many machine I have, the newest one - an Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake with an Asus PRIME B250M-A mobo runngi Win10 Home V1703 - that is stuck in the Cycle of Hell: trying to update from feature update 1703 to 1709, failing, rolling back and then starting all over. Since 1709 did have some problems, going direct to 1803 looks a Good Idea.

Even more 'interesting' is that having switched on the hidden Global Policy editor (not a published feature of Home) and turned off Feature update installs (and even deferred Quality installs) to try to break the cycle, it continues to do so. Perhaps MSFT have fudged things to preempt 'okkard cusses like me doing just this.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » April 30th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Breelander wrote:The next Features Update to Windows 10, version 1803 is to be released on Monday April 30th. Initially it will only be available to install manually through the Media Creation Tool or the Update Assistant. The phased rollout through Windows Update will begin on Tuesday May 8th. -----

But I do not want or need more new features as part of my operating system, e.g.
Windows successfully installed the following update: 9NBLGGH1QWGC-Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml
Windows successfully installed the following update: 9WZDNCRFHVQM-microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps

The more our computers and systems become dependent on Microsoft, the more power they have to raise their future profits via such as earlier declarations of OS obsolescence.

Those who run businesses must be tearing their hair out because of the frequent issues of hardware or older-software incompatibility.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 30th, 2018, 2:03 pm

supremetwo wrote:Those who run businesses must be tearing their hair out because of the frequent issues of hardware or older-software incompatibility.

No, not really.

Large Enterprise environments manage their updates centrally through their own Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
Microsoft wrote:WSUS allows you to target updates to groups of client computers, so you can ensure that specific computers always get the right updates at the most convenient times.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ter-groups

Only Windows 10 Home is on the 'Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted)' branch and will be the first to get the 'April 2018 Update'. Small businesses should use Windows 10 Pro which can switch to the slow 'Semi-Annual Channel', and in addition can defer Features Updates for up to 365 days. For critical Enterprise systems, there's always the Long Term Service Branch (LTSB)...

Microsoft wrote: •Semi-Annual Channel - We will be referring to Current Branch (CB) as "Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted)", while Current Branch for Business (CBB) will simply be referred to as "Semi-Annual Channel".
The Semi-Annual Channel provides new functionality with twice-per-year feature update releases. Organizations can choose when to deploy updates from the Semi-Annual Channel. The Long Term Servicing Channel, which is designed to be used only for specialized devices (which typically don't run Office) such as those that control medical equipment or ATM machines, receives new feature releases every two to three years.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... s-overview

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 30th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Breelander wrote:
supremetwo wrote:Those who run businesses must be tearing their hair out because of the frequent issues of hardware or older-software incompatibility.

No, not really.

Small businesses should use Windows 10 Pro which can switch to the slow 'Semi-Annual Channel', and in addition can defer Features Updates for up to 365 days.

Yes, really.

I have helped one small business get back to Win7 because Win10 broke the software that controls their CNC machines.

They can't upgrade that software as the company that wrote it was long ago taken over by a rival and shut down. Their only other option would be to replace £millions of machinery with new stuff that by all accounts doesn't work as well as the existing.

They did try running Win7 in virtual machines on Win10, but Microsoft deciding when updates should happen and insufficient disk space for them lost the company 2 days business.

Much cheaper, simpler and more efficient to go back to a stable system, which we air gapped for security.

Slarti

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 30th, 2018, 5:59 pm

It's available now...

Microsoft wrote:Download Windows 10
Windows 10 April 2018 Update now available
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 30th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Slarti wrote:
Breelander wrote:

No, not really.

Small businesses should use Windows 10 Pro which can switch to the slow 'Semi-Annual Channel', and in addition can defer Features Updates for up to 365 days.

Yes, really.

I have helped one small business get back to Win7 because Win10 broke the software that controls their CNC machines.

They can't upgrade that software as the company that wrote it was long ago taken over by a rival and shut down. Their only other option would be to replace £millions of machinery with new stuff that by all accounts doesn't work as well as the existing.

They did try running Win7 in virtual machines on Win10, but Microsoft deciding when updates should happen and insufficient disk space for them lost the company 2 days business.

Much cheaper, simpler and more efficient to go back to a stable system, which we air gapped for security.

Slarti

If it's W10 home updates that are the issue (as opposed to just W10 in general...), block them using 'metered connection' which will show their availability but not download them automatically.
You can set it for wired ethernet as well either using a registry hack for older versions, or in the settings if on Creators onwards.
https://www.howtogeek.com/262477/how-to ... -8-and-10/

For specific updates that you do want, use the Microsoft Update Catalogue...https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

I think you can block certain drivers from being updated too, I seem to remember looking that one up for my old HP printer as it kept downloading the same driver every day (multiple times...) and I stopped it.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 30th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Looks like the rollout through Windows Update has started today. A manual check for updates will find it, the automatic updates will start on 8th May.

Microsoft wrote: This post will provide details on the April 2018 Update rollout plan, including information on our new machine-learning approach....

...The April 2018 Update is available today if you go to Windows Update and manually check for updates. We will begin the global rollout out via Windows Update on May 8.

...During the Fall Creators Update roll out we pilot tested machine learning (ML) to intelligently select devices that our feedback data indicated would have a great update experience. .... For the April 2018 Update rollout, we will expand our use of ML to identify the devices ready to update, incorporating things like additional compatibility data
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... 18-update/

Looks like a lot more PCs are going to get the update sooner rather than later. The ML has already identified my 2011-built machine as ready for the update, so watch out for it arriving automatically through Windows Update on a wide variety of machines.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 30th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Breelander wrote:Looks like the rollout through Windows Update has started today. A manual check for updates will find it, the automatic updates will start on 8th May.

Microsoft wrote: This post will provide details on the April 2018 Update rollout plan, including information on our new machine-learning approach....

...The April 2018 Update is available today if you go to Windows Update and manually check for updates. We will begin the global rollout out via Windows Update on May 8.

...During the Fall Creators Update roll out we pilot tested machine learning (ML) to intelligently select devices that our feedback data indicated would have a great update experience. .... For the April 2018 Update rollout, we will expand our use of ML to identify the devices ready to update, incorporating things like additional compatibility data
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... 18-update/

Looks like a lot more PCs are going to get the update sooner rather than later. The ML has already identified my 2011-built machine as ready for the update, so watch out for it arriving automatically through Windows Update on a wide variety of machines.

Perhaps I'm just getting old and grumpy but I dislike modern Windows for all this seemingly perpetual update malarkey. I support a Win8.1 machine and a few with Win10. Win7 works fine for me personally. An OS used to be for running software on. Heaven only knows why it needs constant upgrading, perhaps it's the inherent lack of security in Windows, maybe it's because they can't produce a version without bugs. I worked with Windows throughout my career and still write software for it sometimes but I find myself spending more and more time in the calmer waters of Debian.

RC

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » April 30th, 2018, 8:36 pm

I now have my new computer, but have not yet started to set it up with Windows and Linux (which is my plan). I am in the middle of writing some new code and want to finish that off before changing system. Windows does, however, really irritate me. One of the more trivial things is that it forces me to use Edge for links in emails etc. The BSODs and the fact that it gets really busy without me knowing what is going on all irritate me.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 30th, 2018, 8:45 pm

This is completely beyond me. You are all speaking in an unknown dialect. My PCs (a desk top and a lap top) the one on Windows 7 and other on Windows 10 work fine as they are. If I get an update that I suppose is fine as well but I neither care nor know anything about it. It seems to happen when I am asleep.

Just ignore these as I do. What is the problem?

Dod

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 30th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Dod101 wrote:This is completely beyond me. You are all speaking in an unknown dialect. My PCs (a desk top and a lap top) the one on Windows 7 and other on Windows 10 work fine as they are. If I get an update that I suppose is fine as well but I neither care nor know anything about it. It seems to happen when I am asleep.

Just ignore these as I do. What is the problem?

Dod

I'm very pleased to hear that you haven't experienced any problems. Long may that last; but when you wake up one morning and find that your PC no longer talks to your printer or your laptop can't connect to the wifi as it did on the previous day, you may then understand why some folk get aggrieved.

RC

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 30th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Yes I agree RC, but many people seem to know a lot more about PCs than I do and I sometimes wonder if ignorance is not the better option. What I do is buy a new PC every five or six years ( a bit like buying a new car) plug it in and it usually works. I attempt nothing with it, no updates, nothing, but it seems to get on fine on its own.

My car is the same and when the ash trays are full I change it.

What is Debian?

Dod

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 30th, 2018, 9:51 pm

im sure ive been getting cumulative updates on an almost weekly basis recently .

:?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 30th, 2018, 11:35 pm

Dod101 wrote:
What is Debian?

Dod

It's a Linux distribution, the name comes from "Debbie" and "Ian", apparently. You can obtain Linux in various forms called distributions which differ according to their intended use:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution

RC

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » May 1st, 2018, 7:25 am

Dod101 wrote:Yes I agree RC, but many people seem to know a lot more about PCs than I do and I sometimes wonder if ignorance is not the better option. What I do is buy a new PC every five or six years ( a bit like buying a new car) plug it in and it usually works. I attempt nothing with it, no updates, nothing, but it seems to get on fine on its own.

Dod

===============================

i think the default is windows updates get downloaded and installed automatically .

restarts are required though , so presume you shut down after each use.

so surprising if you havnt seen the blue screen " configuring windows - dont turn it off " which often takes 10 minutes or so .

:)

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » May 1st, 2018, 8:05 am

Or.. if you happen to use Homegroups (I never have, but someone must do) , which are being removed from Windows 10 with this update, you'd be puzzled/upset and potentially waste a lot of time wondering why it was broken when you installed this update.

I understand there's a good case for the "software as a service" model of continuous updates. The downside will appear increasingly over time when features that some people use start getting removed, and with no warning unless you happen to follow the IT world, and most people are far too sensible to do that.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 1st, 2018, 8:18 am

I downloaded and installed earlier this morning (lower contention ratios...), so if I get any issues I'll report back.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 1st, 2018, 9:17 am

jackdaww wrote:[
i think the default is windows updates get downloaded and installed automatically .

restarts are required though , so presume you shut down after each use.

so surprising if you havnt seen the blue screen " configuring windows - dont turn it off " which often takes 10 minutes or so .

I guess I have occasionally seen a message saying configuring Windows or something like that but it does not interfere with what I do. I am not trying to be clever; the opposite in fact, but grateful that I do not have to be a tech wizard. Does it not automatically restart?

Dod

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 1st, 2018, 5:38 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Perhaps I'm just getting old and grumpy but I dislike modern Windows for all this seemingly perpetual update malarkey. I support a Win8.1 machine and a few with Win10. Win7 works fine for me personally. An OS used to be for running software on. Heaven only knows why it needs constant upgrading...

You like Windows 7, that's obvious. It works fine and is in support until 2020. But... don't you ever wish that a feature that came in with 8, 8.1 or 10 could be used in 7?

Previously no new features were added by any updates, for that you had to wait (a long time, in the case of Win7) for Microsoft to release a new version of Windows.

That has changed with Windows 10. Microsoft's 'Windows as a Service' philosophy means that new features will be added as required. No longer will there be a massive culture shock as there was when 8 replaced 7. Instead there will be a gradual evolution, small easily digestible Features changes every six months or so. That's Microsoft's reason for these regular Features Updates.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”