Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Windows 10 April 2018 Update to be released April 30th

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows 10 April 2018 Update to be released April 30th

Postby Bouleversee » May 22nd, 2018, 3:33 pm

Many thanks, Bree. So I did the WINVER bit and it says I have version 1709 but OS build 16299.431 not .461. What now? Do I need to do the settings route? What do I do next? Just wait for them to install the latest update automatically? Can they do them if my computer is switched off while I am sleeping?

You are right; I wouldn't normally click on anything in an incoming email but this, IIRC, was a box appearing on the screen and it looked authentic and was an instruction rather than a link, so I did. (And if you are installing something like Malwarebytes you have to click at some point to go ahead). Doesn't their security system stop hackers installing boxes with messages and commands on your screen?

What I'd like to know is how you and others acquired the knowledge you have in this field. It's all gobbledegook to me.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 22nd, 2018, 6:52 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Many thanks, Bree. So I did the WINVER bit and it says I have version 1709 but OS build 16299.431 not .461. What now?

That is OK. 16299.431 was released as the regular 'Patch Tuesday' update on May 8th. 16299.461 was only released yesterday as an additional one for this month (MS occasionally do that for important fixes). Your windows update hasn't got round to doing its automatic check yet (it does that once a day). Have a look tomorrow, I'm betting you will have it by then. :)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 22nd, 2018, 6:58 pm

Bouleversee wrote: Doesn't their security system stop hackers installing boxes with messages and commands on your screen?

Scammers can use an innocent browser popup to pretend to be a message from the system. It's usually easy to spot that it's your browser giving the message, not the system. 1 in 100 will be frightened into clicking a link in the message - it's called 'scareware'. Easy to spot when you know what to look for, difficult for an AV to block it though (browsers use popups all the time - you wouldn't want the AV to block them all).

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 23rd, 2018, 10:29 am

Breelander wrote:
Bouleversee wrote: Doesn't their security system stop hackers installing boxes with messages and commands on your screen?

Scammers can use an innocent browser popup to pretend to be a message from the system. It's usually easy to spot that it's your browser giving the message, not the system. 1 in 100 will be frightened into clicking a link in the message - it's called 'scareware'. Easy to spot when you know what to look for, difficult for an AV to block it though (browsers use popups all the time - you wouldn't want the AV to block them all).

My browser blocks all popups unless I white list them, and I've only done that with HSBC

Popups are an appalling invasion of ones computer, only topped by pop-unders.

Slarti

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 23rd, 2018, 10:54 am

I have now been updated, leading to a series of choices which I hadn't a clue which to opt for so did the basic, least intrusive, one in all cases.

I still don't know how to spot if a pop up is a message from the system or a scammer. I have a feeling UBlock may be blocking pop-ups.

Thanks for all help.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 23rd, 2018, 11:19 am

Bouleversee wrote:I have now been updated, leading to a series of choices which I hadn't a clue which to opt for so did the basic, least intrusive, one in all cases...

That sounds like the update to version 1803, the April 2018 Update. Yes, there would be a lot of privacy and telemetry choices to make.

Microsoft have had a bad press in the past about not making it clear what information they collect. 1803 doesn't actually collect anything new, but it does go to great lengths to let you know what it does collect. Yes, I go for the minimal settings too :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 23rd, 2018, 11:41 am

Bouleversee wrote:I have now been updated, leading to a series of choices which I hadn't a clue which to opt for so did the basic, least intrusive, one in all cases.

That'll be the one. Mine was updated yesterday - all kinds of questions like whether I want Windows to pass on details of my location, or whether to send me adverts tailored to my web browsing (with the slightly sinister suggestion that if I refuse it won't stop them sending me adverts anyway. I said no to pretty well everything.)

So this morning I find that Windows has switched on (again! :evil: )an unwanted internal wifi adapter on my computer that I'd disabled last year because it was (a) feeble and (b) mucking up my broadband speeds by trying to work at the same time as my trusty RangeMax. Sigh.

And dammit, first thing this morning I get my first black-screen crash-out in years, with everything frozen. Followed by a fifteen minute configuration. Half an hour's work lost, not to mention a post to LF that I just happened to be writing at that moment. Sometimes I really hate Microsoft.

BJ

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 23rd, 2018, 1:20 pm

So this morning I find that Windows has switched on (again! :evil: )an unwanted internal wifi adapter on my computer that I'd disabled last year because it was (a) feeble and (b) mucking up my broadband speeds by trying to work at the same time as my trusty RangeMax. Sigh.

Did you disable/uninstall it in device manager/network adapters?
If it keeps auto detecting and re-installing unplug the internal wifi adapter (assuming it's not soldered in.)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”