Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Yahoo update

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Yahoo update

Postby Bouleversee » May 22nd, 2018, 12:41 pm

I have received the following message today:

Before you continue...
Yahoo is now part of the Oath family. Due to EU data protection laws, we (Oath), our vendors and our partners need your consent to set cookies on your device to use your search, location and browsing data to understand your interests and personalise and measure ads on our products. Oath will also provide personalised ads to you on our partners' products and analyse your communications, like emails, to tailor content and ads you see.
How data brings you better ad experiences
We want to provide you with the best experience on our products. Sometimes, we show you personalised ads by making educated guesses about your interests based on your activity on our sites and products. For example, when you search for a film, we use your location to show the most relevant cinemas near you. We also use this information to show you ads for similar films you may like in the future. Learn more about how Oath uses this data.
You can customise your data sharing and use choices for the following sections by going to the 'Manage options' tab.
Get personalised ads from our trusted partners
This doesn't mean more ads, it means personalised ones. When you let our partners use cookies to collect similar data that we do on our sites, they can provide ads on our sites that they think match your interests, like deals related to products you love, and measure, report and analyse your interactions with them. Learn more about how our partners use this data.
Get more personalisation from your inbox
To protect you against fraud and spam and provide you product features like easy access to photos and important docs, our technology automatically analyses your communications, including emails. By selecting 'OK', our technology will also analyse your communications to provide additional email features, like deals when you travel, and tailored content and ads across our network. Learn more here.
Select 'OK' to continue using our products, otherwise, you will not be able to access our sites and apps. Select 'Manage options' to set your data use and sharing choices with us and our partners. For more information and settings, go to Privacy Centre.

I really don't want Big Brother Yahoo tracking my activities and butting in with their adverts but it seems I can't access my emails unless I agree to this so I shall have to. I installed some advertisement blocker some months ago on advice on here. Will that frustrate Yahoo's intentions?

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Yahoo update

Postby didds » May 22nd, 2018, 12:55 pm

at the risk of sounding as if I am having a dig (which Im not :-) ) I suppose this is the cost of "free" email provision.

??

didds

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 22nd, 2018, 1:06 pm

I got that this morning and in the popup message, towards the bottom, there was a link to go and see who they've allowing to track you.

There are 2 lots of them, one, the default, in some sort of group contract, the other longer list, people that they have contracted with individually. Against each name is a blue button which when you click it goes grey, so I spent about 5 minutes clicking them all, just to be annoying.

Slarti

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » May 22nd, 2018, 1:22 pm

I have a Yahoo email address which I access via the Gmail front-end, having 'Gmailified' my Yahoo account.

Hence I haven't seen this and thus cannot accept their terms.

So, what does the panel think will happen to my account on May 25th, then?

Watis

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 22nd, 2018, 1:38 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
I really don't want Big Brother Yahoo tracking my activities and butting in with their adverts but it seems I can't access my emails unless I agree to this so I shall have to.

What's given you the idea that you can't use Yahoo email without accepting the new account-settings?

I've just logged into my Yahoo mail account, seen the same 'Oath' topic, and have managed to opt out of all the intrusiveness using the 'Manage' option given to you on the topic-page.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 22nd, 2018, 1:47 pm

The message from Yahoo is just the latest of these I have seen. I have also had the same message by email from all my brokers, bank accounts and email subscriptions for other odds and sods.

EU regulations now state you have to positively opt in for marketing emails. Anyone who has previously had your permission to email you has to get you to renew that permission in order to continue contacting you.

For Yahoo, all you have to do is update your preferences, even if that is to turn them all off bar essential maintenance messages. The fact that they are now 'Oath' is just a confusing coincidence - they'd have had to ask you to update your preferences in any case.

It's particularly important for you to log in to all your brokers/banks ASAP and update the email preferences. Without that you may not be able to manage your account until you do.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 22nd, 2018, 2:51 pm

Anyone who has previously had your permission to email you has to get you to renew that permission in order to continue contacting you.

Not so. If you previously gave permission to be emailed about specific matters under the old DPA and the permission you gave was specific enough also to meet the requirements of the GDPR, there is no need for the processor to seek your permission again.
"Where processing is based on consent pursuant to Directive 95/46/EC*, it is not necessary for the data subject to give his or her consent again if the manner in which the consent has been given is in line with the conditions of this Regulation, so as to allow the controller to continue such processing after the date of application of this Regulation" [GDPR Recital 171]

* the October 1995 EU directive on which our current (and now to be superseded) 1998 DPA is based

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 22nd, 2018, 3:14 pm

Oh dear, I really am useless at all this. So I clicked on "manage options" and got "Oops, something has gone wrong, try again" or words to that effect, so I went back and thinking that maybe I had to click Okay first and then Manage Options, did that, at which point my email list appeared. So how do I manage options now? Perhaps I'll wait and see how intrusive it is.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 22nd, 2018, 7:11 pm

stewamax wrote:Not so. If you previously gave permission to be emailed about specific matters under the old DPA and the permission you gave was specific enough also to meet the requirements of the GDPR, there is no need for the processor to seek your permission again...

Well, either my brokers didn't understand the 'specifics' first time round, or they don't understand the new regulations. Wouldn't surprise me if it was 'both' :D

They all covered themselves by asking again...

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 23rd, 2018, 1:35 pm

Breelander wrote:
stewamax wrote:Not so. If you previously gave permission to be emailed about specific matters under the old DPA and the permission you gave was specific enough also to meet the requirements of the GDPR, there is no need for the processor to seek your permission again...

Well, either my brokers didn't understand the 'specifics' first time round, or they don't understand the new regulations. Wouldn't surprise me if it was 'both' :D

They all covered themselves by asking again...

I've had both. The 'you'll stop receiving emails from us completely unless you give us specific permission' and the 'if we don't hear from you we'll carry on as before', so there does seem to be some confusion...

Yahoo and AOL got the no targeted ads/data sharing with partners/enhanced inbox options from me, I don't use either for anything other than newsletters anyway.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”