Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Download to a specific sub folder in downloads

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Download to a specific sub folder in downloads

Postby Lesleyfool » April 30th, 2018, 10:42 am

Hi

I have looked all around the web and I can't find the answer to this.

I want to download certain files to a specific folder on the pc. These files are audio files and at the moment they go into a big mess in my downloads folder. The reason for me wanting a separate folder is once the files are done with I need to delete them quickly and easily. The file exts are mp3, wav et cetera et cetera.

can anyone help please?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Download to a specific sub folder in downloads

Postby Itsallaguess » April 30th, 2018, 10:45 am

Lesleyfool wrote:
I want to download certain files to a specific folder on the pc.

These files are audio files and at the moment they go into a big mess in my downloads folder.

The reason for me wanting a separate folder is once the files are done with I need to delete them quickly and easily.

The file exts are mp3, wav et cetera et cetera.

Can anyone help please?

Yes, you can! :D

Can you let us know the version of Windows and the browser that you're currently using?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » April 30th, 2018, 10:46 am

Hi

Win 10 and chrome

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 30th, 2018, 10:50 am

Lesleyfool wrote:
Win 10 and chrome

Thanks Lesley, have a read of these instructions for Chrome that tell you how to change the download location -

Change download locations

You can choose a location on your computer where downloads should be saved by default or pick a specific destination for each download.

On your computer, open Chrome.

At the top right, click More / More (three dots) and then Settings.

At the bottom, click Advanced.

Under the "Downloads" section, adjust your download settings:

To change the default download location, click Change and select where you'd like your files to be saved.

If you'd rather choose a specific location for each download, check the box next to "Ask where to save each file before downloading."

https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... ktop&hl=en

If you're not wanting to keep swapping hard-coded locations between different places, I'd suggest setting it to the bottom setting, where it will ask you where to place each download, and then you can just navigate towards the best location for each download.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » April 30th, 2018, 10:53 am

That's helpful.

I was hoping to be able to program it so that if it was an audio file for example it would automatically download into a specific folder that I had told it to before hand.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 30th, 2018, 11:02 am

Lesleyfool wrote:
I was hoping to be able to program it so that if it was an audio file for example it would automatically download into a specific folder that I had told it to before hand.

It's likely that there's a Chrome extension that will help with that - have a look through here for extensions related to 'Download Manager', and see if anything jumps out -

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

There's a section for user-reviews as well, so hopefully there's something in there that will allow you to automatically choose a download location base on file-type.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » April 30th, 2018, 11:23 am

I have looked where you said and tried some but they're all too complicated for me to understand. It's stuff in mime format and things I don't understand.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » April 30th, 2018, 11:37 am

Lesleyfool wrote:I was hoping to be able to program it so that if it was an audio file for example it would automatically download into a specific folder that I had told it to before hand.

You can do it easily enough with manual instructions.

1) Make sure the browser is configured to prompt for a download destination.
2) Create your destination
3) Run the download to the created destination

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » April 30th, 2018, 11:40 am

Okay thanks. I was hoping for an automatic solution.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 30th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Well there's:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... knjo?hl=en

though it's not an extension I've ever tried.

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » April 30th, 2018, 1:06 pm

I tried this one but I don't understand it and how to put the entries in. It is the one I spoke about earlier with MIME things. It is beyond me but I think it would do the trick if I could make it work.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 30th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Lesleyfool wrote:
Okay thanks. I was hoping for an automatic solution.

If you don't want to get bogged down with download managers that might be a little over-complicated for what you're after, then your best bet is to have a little batch file at your disposal that you can run whenever you want (presumably straight after you've downloaded some audio files...), that will then move any downloads of a given audio file-type (mp3/wav/ etc...) to another specified audio folder.

If you create a batch file (a notepad text file with a .bat file extension), and put something similar to the lines below in the batch file, hopefully it's easy to see what's going on with regards to where it's expecting to find your audio files, and also to see where it's wanting to move them to -

move /-y "C:\users\lesley\desktop\download\*.mp3" "c:\users\lesley\desktop\audio_files\"
move /-y "C:\users\lesley\desktop\download\*.wav" "c:\users\lesley\desktop\audio_files\"
pause

If you copy the above into notepad, and save the file onto your desktop with a file-name of 'move_audio_downloads.bat', and ensuring that the destination folder already exists, then running the batch file as an administrator should do what you're after.

I've just tested it using some sample mp3 files and the above example folders on my machine, and it moves the files correctly to the second folder location.

You can add other audio file-types as you wish, and obviously you'll need to alter the source and destination folders to your specific ones, but I think this should do what you're after. I've included mp3 and wav, but you may have others that will simply demand a new line with a different file-type in the middle section.

I've included the /-y switch just in case the batch file tries to move a file that already exists in the destination folder. This should then prompt you if this ever occurs, and makes sure to ask you if you want to replace the destination file that already exists. You might want to always say 'No' at that point, and investigate what's going on before over-writing any files....

Let me know if there's any issues with the above Lesley, or if anything isn't as clear as it should be.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » April 30th, 2018, 2:01 pm

That looks great. I have worked with batch files before (that someone else has created) so they are not new to me.

I'm sure this will do the trick. I will test it out when I've got a few minutes.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » April 30th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Hi

I can't make it work.

This is what I have put in a batch file.

move /-y "C:\users\admin\downloads\*.mp3" "c:\users\admin\downloads\pacific_files\"
move /-y "C:\users\admin\downloads\*.wav" "c:\users\admin\downloads\pacific_files\"
move /-y "C:\users\admin\downloads\*.m4a" "c:\users\admin\downloads\pacific_files\"

I can't see what I have done wrong. The files are to go into a folder named pacific files

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 30th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Lesleyfool wrote:
I can't make it work.

This is what I have put in a batch file.

move /-y "C:\users\admin\downloads\*.mp3" "c:\users\admin\downloads\pacific_files\"
move /-y "C:\users\admin\downloads\*.wav" "c:\users\admin\downloads\pacific_files\"
move /-y "C:\users\admin\downloads\*.m4a" "c:\users\admin\downloads\pacific_files\"

I can't see what I have done wrong. The files are to go into a folder named pacific files

How are you executing the batch file?

If you right-click it and select 'Run as Administrator', does it still not work?

That's the way I got it to work with my testing.

You may have to also allow it through your firewall, depending on your particular firewall configuration?

You can also test each of the line-processes separately in an administrator CMD window just to prove that each step will work if you want, if you're still struggling with the batch file.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » April 30th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Hi

I ran it as administrator. Sorry but it's all beyond me at the moment. I appreciate your help.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 30th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Another option (that I use more generally) is to have a USB flash drive as your 'MP3 download' folder via the Chrome browser 'choose destination' method described upthread.
That way it's easy to see as it appears as a separate drive letter, and if you keep the folders to a minimum it's easy to select / delete the contents quickly.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 30th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Lesleyfool wrote:Hi

I ran it as administrator. Sorry but it's all beyond me at the moment. I appreciate your help.

Did you include the pause command on the last line of the file? If so, that should leave the terminal window open until you press a key, and display any error message.

--kiloran

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 30th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Lesleyfool wrote:I tried this one but I don't understand it and how to put the entries in. It is the one I spoke about earlier with MIME things. It is beyond me but I think it would do the trick if I could make it work.

It seems to work for me. Try the following.

1, Create a subfolder in your existing 'Downloads' folder called 'MyMp3Files' (without the quotes).
2. Open the 'Downloads Router Configuration' screen of the 'Downloads Router' extension.
3. Click on '+ Add new routing rule', which will create a new entry in the table above.
4. In that new entry put 'audio/mpeg' (without the quotes) in the left [Filetype (MIME)] column.
5. In that new entry put 'MyMp3Files/' (without the quotes) in the right [Destination folder] column.
6. Click on the 'Save configuration' button a bit further down the screen.

(For wav files set up another rule using 'audio/wav' in place of 'audio/mpeg', and a destination folder of your choice).

HTH

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » April 30th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Thanks

Got there in the end and this is what i was looking for. Thanks to everybody for their patience.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”