Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Dell disaster plus cheap tablet pleasant surprise

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Dell disaster plus cheap tablet pleasant surprise

Postby superFoolish » May 1st, 2018, 1:24 pm

Just a couple of notes about recent computer-related experiences...

My (fairly elderly) parents travel a lot (internationally) and carry a small laptop with mobile dongle. They use Excel, Word, web browsing, email, and that's a about it. The screen on the current laptop is going 'fuzzy' (assuming worn cables; not the first time this has happened). I ordered them a low-spec laptop from Dell (AUD300 = ~GBP165),and it turned out to be a complete disaster. The SSD was only 32Gb - I knew this when I bought it, as official specs are minimum 20Gb for Windows 10, and the parents only have 4Gb data, so that would leave enough to 'play' with. At least, so I mistakenly believed...

Upon completion of installation of Windows 10, there was just over 2Gb storage left. I was thinking of simply adding an SD card for data storage, but decided to remove all the junk that comes with new Windows installations - games, McAfee Antivirus, unused Windows components, etc. This freed up another 2Gb, only providing a total of just over 4Gb. Not good enough. So, I had a bright idea; I found the official 'bare' Dell Windows 10 ISO download, and installed that, and... Bingo 7 Gb free. I batch compressed their photos, and copied them, along with misc docs onto the new laptop, still leaving nearly 4Gb free. On the night before I was due to deliver the laptop to my parents, I booted it up for a quick checkup, and it started to install a Windows 10 update, so I left it overnight, only to find that it had failed in the morning - it needed 8Gb free for the download! The math did not add up, so I gave up and rang Dell. They offered to send (FOC) a USB with a minimal Windows 10 installation (I think it's called 10S), but I am short on time (parents travelling within 2 weeks), and I didn't want to risk it. I was then offered a motherboard upgrade (at my expense!) that would allow an HD to be installed (at my expense!). No thank you; your product is not fit for purpose, I'd like a refund please! To be fair, Dell agreed immediately.

I have been quite happy with Dell products in the past, and they refunded without quibble, so I have now ordered a laptop with 128Gb SSD, which will be more than adequate. As luck would have it, they had one on offer reduced from AUD$600 to AUD$400, and it's a 2-in-1 (folding screen / tablet thing). I don't have much hope for it as a tablet, but the specs are good enough for a little laptop for my parents. If I have time, I will still wipe it and install Windows 10 from the 'clean' ISO.

That was the disaster; no for the pleasant surprise.

I wanted a couple of tablets for browser-based home automation and other bits and pieces, and decided to take a punt on a couple of cheap Android Tablets from GearBest. I live in Australia, and get pretty good service from GearBest; I have bought a few things from them, including my 3D printer. The tablets were AUD$109 for both, including delivery - that's about GBP30 each. They arrived within 2 weeks, and they have far surpassed my expectations. I was expecting them to be slow, with poor touch-screen response, but they are pretty snappy, and perfect for my requirements. I bought them more testing proof-of-concept, but they're 'keepers' for this project. If anyone is interested, the specs are below.

One of the tablets will be permanently mounted on the kitchen / dining area wall (one of our main living areas) - a convenient location for Skyping / aircon / home-automation, and the other will 'float' in the TV room for the same purpose plus casting Netflix (and now Plex).

In terms of form-factor, the tablets are almost identical to white iPad Minis - in fact, I have mistaken them for my iPad Mini more than once already! The only easily-perceptible difference is that there is no home button on the front of the Android devices.

Alldocube iPlay 8
Brand: ALLDOCUBE
Type: Tablet PC
CPU Brand: MTK
CPU: MTK8163
Core: 1.3GHz,Quad Core
GPU: Mali-T720 MP2

Final note - I have had a Dell Colour Laser printer (C1760nw) for almost exactly 3 years now. It cost AUD$209 (just over GBP100), and bought my first toner replacements in Feb this year (approx GBP25), so very happy with that too! We don't print much any more, but it is always ready to go, and produces great prints for what I think is a bargain price. I'm pretty sure someone on TMF recommended it.

I don't know if the above will be useful to anyone, but I thought I'd jot down my experiences.

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Re: Dell disaster plus cheap tablet pleasant surprise

Postby superFoolish » May 1st, 2018, 1:42 pm

Too late to edit my post: I should have mentioned that the speakers on the tablets are very poor. You can certainly hear them clearly, but the quality is low, and would be very irritating for anything other than audible notifications and perhaps games for young children. Headphones would be a necessity for audio / video.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 1st, 2018, 3:11 pm

This would improve your sound without requiring 'phones.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Anker-SoundCo ... th+speaker

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » May 2nd, 2018, 4:14 am

[quote="BobbyD"]This would improve your sound without requiring 'phones.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Anker-SoundCo ... th+speaker[/quot

Perhaps I should have stated that 'external speakers' are a necessity, rather than specifically 'headphones'

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » May 9th, 2018, 9:28 pm

I don't know if the above will be useful to anyone, but I thought I'd jot down my experiences.

Personally I find this sort of post extremely useful. Thank you.

Cinelli

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » May 13th, 2018, 12:21 pm

There's a follow-up saga to the Dell disaster...

Having been promised that the replacement Dell would be delivered in 3-5 business days, I received a telephone call from Dell on the 5th day, advising that my payment had been declined. Thanks for the speedy advisory Dell! It was too late for me to continue with the order, so I had to cancel it and buy a laptop locally. Pretty miffed with Dell, to say the least.

I should mention that I live in Australia; maybe they just have lousy service here.

The replacement laptop is a Lenovo; similar spec as the Dell that I ordered and cancelled, although it only has a 128Gb SSD rather than the 256Gb on the Dell. It's a 2-in-1 touch-screen device, so the screen folds back to turn it into a tablet. Not sure if my parents will find that feature useful though! It's a nice laptop though, and the first impressions are good. It runs Windows 10 and Office 2010 speedily.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » May 13th, 2018, 6:17 pm

BobbyD wrote:This would improve your sound without requiring 'phones.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Anker-SoundCo ... th+speaker

I bought one of these 12 months ago and was so impressed with its power, clarity and price that I bought 3 more. I would certainly endorse BobbyD's suggestion.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 16th, 2018, 9:27 am

Yes, the external Bluetooth speakers are great, but make sure it's at least 10 watts or it may sound a bit 'tinny'. I never fail to be amazed at how many speakers are sold without giving the power. I have one with an FM radio built in that comes in useful sometimes.

Re. tablets, I'm another happy convert. My small Windows 7 netbook that I used for traveling became slower and slower. Even with a complete clean-up, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, removing Browser add-ons and deleting all non-essential programs, it was still slow. Now I have a Huawei Android tablet to which I added a case with Bluetooth keyboard and small mouse. The keyboard is a bit smaller than I'd like, but easy to get used to, but the real advantage is the speed of booting, shutdown and browser speed. I use a combination of WPS Office and Microsoft Android Word and it's all compatible with Microsoft and Open Office.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 16th, 2018, 2:11 pm

stevensfo wrote:Yes, the external Bluetooth speakers are great, but make sure it's at least 10 watts or it may sound a bit 'tinny'. I never fail to be amazed at how many speakers are sold without giving the power. I have one with an FM radio built in that comes in useful sometimes.

I wasn't recommending bluettooth speakers in general but that one in particular precisely because it's rather good, and very reasonably priced. Anker have become my default go to for peripherals. Their smaller waterproof speaker is great for use in the shower, although it's almost doubled in price since I bought mine.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 16th, 2018, 10:05 pm

I remember looking at the Anker but finally got a Reacher bluetooth speaker for about the same price.

No doubt made in the the same Chinese factory! :-)

Steve

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » May 17th, 2018, 7:25 am

Thanks for the comments about Bluetooth speakers. We already have BT speakers and earphones; I was mentioning the (probable) need for them for the benefit of others (I forgot to mention the built-in speakers in my OP).

I am a fan of UE Roll speakers. They are small, sound good, can be paired for proper stereo, and are waterproof, so good for in the shower and by the swimming pool (or even in the pool!).

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”