Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Document Management Systems

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Document Management Systems

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 11th, 2018, 3:11 pm

I'm trying to find out if a Document Management System would be a viable option in a school\care setting. Does anyone have any experience of DMS to share?

Thanks!

RC

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Document Management Systems

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 11th, 2018, 7:49 pm

In a word, no.

You need to be clear on what problem you're seeking to address, before you can meaningfully think about whether any IT system will help with it.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 12th, 2018, 5:31 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I'm trying to find out if a Document Management System would be a viable option in a school\care setting. Does anyone have any experience of DMS to share?

Thanks!

RC

For staff or pupils, or both?

If just for staff, possibly as they can be integrated with Word, Excel, PDF, etc so that the default saving is to the DM system and varying levels of privacy can be set to different documents or classes of documents. But they do require quite a bit of management and training to get the best out of them.

If pupils it would depend on the ages of them and what you wanted to achieve.

I've worked with a number of them, owned by clients, and the levels of document security ranges from almost non at all up to suitable for the military. The prices vary from quite a lot to "How much?"

As UncleEbenezer says, what you are trying to achieve, and you budget to do it, make a huge difference here.

Slarti

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 12th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Slarti wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:I'm trying to find out if a Document Management System would be a viable option in a school\care setting. Does anyone have any experience of DMS to share?

Thanks!

RC

For staff or pupils, or both?

If just for staff, possibly as they can be integrated with Word, Excel, PDF, etc so that the default saving is to the DM system and varying levels of privacy can be set to different documents or classes of documents. But they do require quite a bit of management and training to get the best out of them.

If pupils it would depend on the ages of them and what you wanted to achieve.

I've worked with a number of them, owned by clients, and the levels of document security ranges from almost non at all up to suitable for the military. The prices vary from quite a lot to "How much?"

As UncleEbenezer says, what you are trying to achieve, and you budget to do it, make a huge difference here.

Slarti

Thankyou, I appreciate your comments. For both staff and pupils\children in care. As it happens I am pretty sure what I want to achieve (25 yrs working in and around schools). As an aside, I am regularly amazed that despite the incredible growth in processor power\software etc. how many offices have changed little from the days of the typewriter and filing cabinet. I see people retyping data from PDFs into Word (for example) and the sheer waste of time and effort drives me nuts. Your comment on pricing chimes with my research thus far!

ATB

RC

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”