Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Surge...

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Surge...

Postby RedSnapper » May 17th, 2018, 9:50 am

Had a problem three times this morning, trying to type this before it happens again.....

PC (Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1709 (build 16299.431), ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H61-MX ) boots up normally and operates for a while and then 'crashes' to a black screen and reboots (no message at this point). When it reboots it goes to a screen that says (something along the lines of) "Power surge detected during previous power on, surge protection activated..."

It will, from there, reboot successfully but so far it has recurred a couple of times at about 30 minute intervals.

There's no electrical work going on, we've had no cuts, nothing else in the house is being affected.

Any clues as to what's occurring and how I can stop it, short of buying a new PC.....

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Surge...

Postby Breelander » May 17th, 2018, 10:01 am

RedSnapper wrote:Any clues as to what's occurring and how I can stop it, short of buying a new PC.....

This is nothing to do with the Windows you are running. It is an 'Anti-surge' feature of the Asus BIOS. Apparently it can be turned off. Whether that's a good idea or not I'll leave you to decide, once you work out what may have triggered it.

More here...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... power.html

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 17th, 2018, 10:44 am

RedSnapper wrote:Had a problem three times this morning, trying to type this before it happens again.....

PC (Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1709 (build 16299.431), ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H61-MX ) boots up normally and operates for a while and then 'crashes' to a black screen and reboots (no message at this point). When it reboots it goes to a screen that says (something along the lines of) "Power surge detected during previous power on, surge protection activated..."

It will, from there, reboot successfully but so far it has recurred a couple of times at about 30 minute intervals.

There's no electrical work going on, we've had no cuts, nothing else in the house is being affected.

Any clues as to what's occurring and how I can stop it, short of buying a new PC.....

I doubt that's a real mains surge. A failing PSU is a possibility. I'd try removing and replugging the mains lead, just in case it's slightly loose\off contact. Apart from a failing PSU, it could be a motherboard component that has become 'off-nominal'. If it were me, I'd turn the warning off via the BIOS settings and see what happens.

RC

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » May 17th, 2018, 11:33 am

Thanks all.

It's already connected through a belkin surgemaster so I'm pretty confident it's not a real surge. I've turned off the warning and will get a new psu.

Any recs on a good psu at 500w?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 17th, 2018, 12:38 pm

RedSnapper wrote:Thanks all.

It's already connected through a belkin surgemaster so I'm pretty confident it's not a real surge. I've turned off the warning and will get a new psu.

Any recs on a good psu at 500w?

I like these:

https://www.ebuyer.com/702009-corsair-v ... 9020097-uk

I wouldn't assume that it needs replacing unless you continue to have problems but it's always good to have a spare!

RC

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 17th, 2018, 2:07 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I doubt that's a real mains surge. A failing PSU is a possibility. I'd try removing and replugging the mains lead, just in case it's slightly loose\off contact. Apart from a failing PSU, it could be a motherboard component that has become 'off-nominal'. If it were me, I'd turn the warning off via the BIOS settings and see what happens.

RC

I'd second this.
If you've got another suitable PSU in another machine then try swapping it out as an A/B and see if the issue remains.

Google the motherboard model number and see if there are any known component issues before buying a new PSU.
Spare smoothing caps and such like are pretty cheap and if feeling brave enough are a possible DIY solder job.
Last edited by Infrasonic on May 17th, 2018, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » May 17th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Thanks folks

PSU on order. Can't afford to be without the PC so will at least have it in reserve. Crossing fingers it's not something else, my skills don't extend to messing around at small-component level.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 18th, 2018, 10:59 am

A probable red herring, but ASUS's AiSuite 'hardware' utilities that monitor fan speed and other motherboard and PSU characteristics do not work properly with WIn10 1709 and the latest 1803 and have been withdrawn for many motherboards. The compiled code apparently has a 'difference of opinion' with Win10 security.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 18th, 2018, 4:47 pm

RedSnapper wrote:Thanks folks

PSU on order. Can't afford to be without the PC so will at least have it in reserve. Crossing fingers it's not something else, my skills don't extend to messing around at small-component level.

You have a current full backup, I hope?

Slarti

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 18th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Slarti wrote:

I was thinking that.

P.S. I didn't!

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » May 18th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Slarti wrote:

Slarti

Full daily backups to two external drives plus weekly backup to a third drive which is disconnected in between backups. Vital files also backed up to dropbox. :D

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”