Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Graphics card not working - possibly after W10 creator update

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
force21

Graphics card not working - possibly after W10 creator update

Postby force21 » May 18th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Hello lemonfools,

I've lurked since the Lemon Fool was set up, but I'm not a frequent poster. An annoying issue with my computer has brought me out of the woodwork.

I have a desktop, a HP 550-153na, running windows 10. It has a dedicated graphics process, a Radeon R5 330. The computer's not used for anything particularly fancy i.e. mostly work, watching i-Player etc.

Windows installed the creator update a couple of weeks back (version 1803). A few days later I realised that the graphics didn't seem quite right (streaming was a bit jerky, the task bar has stopped being transparent). When I check the device manager it shows the AMD Radeon display adapter and the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I wondered whether there's an incompatibility between the graphics chip and the latest version of Windows so I tried updating the driver via device manager. This didn't have an effect so I tried updating the driver through AMD's website.

For some reason, when I update the driver using AMD, it changes the adapter name to R5 M320, but doesn't make any difference to the jerky display. Out of curiosity I tried updating again through device manager and it downloads and installs a 'new' driver, and goes back to displaying the driver as R5 330.

I can find similar complaints on the web for a range of graphics cards, and most responses seem to be to update the driver. I can't definitely say the issue started at the same time as the update, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any advice.

regards,

force

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Graphics card not working - possibly after W10 creator update

Postby Breelander » May 18th, 2018, 5:55 pm

force21 wrote:Windows installed the creator update a couple of weeks back (version 1803)

Actually 1803 is called 'the April 2018 Update'.

The Creators Update was 1703, released a year ago. That was followed by the Fall Creators Update 1709 last October.

See if this thread helps with your driver problems.
I have a R5 m330 graphics, but the driver that installs is an R5 m320, and this causes system problem...

https://community.amd.com/thread/227220

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”