Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Chrome - Proper Adblock no More?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Chrome - Proper Adblock no More?

Postby supremetwo » June 17th, 2018, 3:43 pm

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/12/1745 ... on-removal

Google is planning to remove inline installation from Chrome for existing extensions starting on September 12th, and Chrome users will be redirected to the Web Store.
With Chrome 71 in early December, Google is also planning to remove the inline install API method entirely.

How long before all the adblockers extensions are removed, apart from Chrome's own ad blocker that does not block ads at all?

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Re: Chrome - Proper Adblock no More?

Postby JMN2 » June 17th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Please note my earlier post on Adblock Plus crashing on the daily basis. It's all connected I suspect.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 17th, 2018, 7:39 pm

I've installed all my various blocking extensions from the official Play/web store. Worst case scenario if they did suspend them there (unlikely imho) would be to install host file.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 18th, 2018, 7:25 am

JMN2 wrote:Please note my earlier post on Adblock Plus crashing on the daily basis. It's all connected I suspect.

I run uBlock Origin (and extra), Ghostery, Disable HTML5 autoplay, HTTPS everywhere, and many other extensions without issue (99% of the time...)
So I doubt there is some grand conspiracy plan by Google to disrupt blockers.

More likely is that the adblock plus extension is not keeping up with the frequent Chrome updates (which seem to be getting more frequent every month) and it's causing issues.
I had a launch problem with W10 and Firefox the other week (on another persons PC) after the latest update, a few repeated extension conflicts as well.

On my own PC I also run W10, Virtualbox, Linux Mint VM and FF. It goes from working fine to buggy from week to week depending on which updates to which bit (host OS, VM, guest OS update manager, browser et al) has changed. Adding layers makes it far harder to A/B and fault trace.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 18th, 2018, 11:35 am

supremetwo wrote:How long before all the adblockers extensions are removed, apart from Chrome's own ad blocker that does not block ads at all?

Infrasonic wrote:... I doubt there is some grand conspiracy plan by Google to disrupt blockers.
More likely is that the adblock plus extension is not keeping up with the frequent Chrome updates...

Problems installing extensions, whether due to conspiracy or otherwise, do not stop the use of a HOSTS table. This works at the network level outside your browser(s). As far as they can tell the sites are just unreachable at the moment.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » June 18th, 2018, 7:33 pm

I've started using EEF products some time ago.

Ditched Chrome and gone for Firefox which I'm using with a multiple browers set up, so I have a profile for different activities, and a mix of different add-ons, so it looks like different browsers.

- one for general browsing - the most secure
- one for research - a notch down, but less sites
- and a last one if I need to log-in, it runs flash, so many sites still use it. Why?!

So when I use panopticlick it looks like at least 3 different browsers.

My start up process creates a new mac address each time.

Killed of Flash (for the most part) and done all the obvious things with browsers included dealing with webRTC.

I use Proton VPN double secure for some browsing and if I'm really feeling like I have to be carefull I run OpenBSD.

I live in several differnet places over the year and experienced an issue a few years ago. Now I put everything into it's own sandbox.

- the particular brower profile I'm using today has adblock, webRTC and Privacy Badger. The least I'd expect to run. I'm in reseach mode! I'll only visit a few sites that I look at on a regualr basis. Places I trust.

I sometime send my traffic across the Tor network, either via Proton or Torbrowser, but not for anything I consider secure. Mainly for general browsing or using streaming services.

Chrome = Google, so it's always going to be an issue if you don't watch to be "tracked".

If you really are keen on privacy try Signal for messaging. OpenBsd is hard work! Not sure I'd ever suggest it.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”