Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Are avast services worth it?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Elenax

Are avast services worth it?

Postby Elenax » June 4th, 2018, 8:55 am

Hi lovely people, I am looking for software's to improve my system performance and came to know of the avast services. After subscribing to their premium i looked online there is whole lot of mixed opinion form some say avast worth it while some present negative opinion avast antivirus. As for the software i don't see major improvement in performance or may be i am using it wrong...what are your thoughts?

HBEN

Re: Are avast services worth it?

Postby HBEN » June 4th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Hey I don't use Avast as a security product coz for 2 years I am using Eset protection and I am very content with it. Last year when my sub was about to end I was searching for other options too, but I read almost everything about Avast NEGATIVE! People were criticizing and are still doing it here. The anti-virus is not much of a help. The program is heavy and does not update its definitions accordingly. Eset in this regard is pretty much proactive. Does it fast and is reliable (at least for me, i am talking about my opinion about the product, people's say may vary or they can completely differ).

You can also try reading avast cleanup review.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Avast. Try for Eset or Norton.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » June 4th, 2018, 1:33 pm

IMHO you will be perfectly fine with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. (MBAM Free edition is OK, premium is better).

But you've already paid for Avast.... Just don't bother with tune-up/registry clean type tools. They seldom do anything useful

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 4th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Elenax wrote:Hi lovely people, I am looking for software's to improve my system performance and came to know of the avast services. After subscribing to their premium i looked online there is whole lot of mixed opinion form some say avast worth it while some present negative opinion avast antivirus. As for the software i don't see major improvement in performance or may be i am using it wrong...what are your thoughts?

First thing, which version of Windows are you using?

Are you using Avast Services as a security product, or are you referring to some accelerating tools?

As a security product, although it worked, I dropped it some time back due to bloat. Also if you are using it as a security product, have you turned off the installed Microsoft ones? Two AVs running at the same time can kill almost any computer.

Slarti

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 4th, 2018, 6:32 pm

I had Avast for a while a few years ago but got rid of it as it seemed intrusive. On W10 Defender does the job quite nicely and is updated as required. Malwarebytes as a secondary scan is also good (as has been mentioned).

As important - if you value your data (or apps, or configuration settings etc.) make a proper backup of the computer (something like Macrium Reflect - free edition is fine). Then keep a copy of the backup physically separate from your machine. in the event of a disastrous virus, your backup will not be infected (if the virus was noticed in time / your backup cycle allows enough time before an old backup is overwritten...).

VRD

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”