Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Android messages for web

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Android messages for web

Postby Infrasonic » June 19th, 2018, 3:15 pm

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/18/andro ... ccounter=1

Messages, Google’s more recent focus for its scattered messaging efforts following its decision to “pause” work on Allo, is now available for web users. The company announced that it would begin rolling out Messages for web starting today, with the full rollout completing over the next week. The feature, along with others including GIF search, smart replies, and more, is part of an updated messaging experience for Android users that aims to be Google’s response to iMessage.Cont.

https://messages.android.com/

My phone app hasn't got the update yet to allow this, but hopefully soon...

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Android messages for web

Postby Infrasonic » June 21st, 2018, 9:41 am

The messages phone app updated last night so I've just activated this via the QR scan.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 21st, 2018, 11:16 am

This is great, been doing SMS send/reply all morning on a full size qwerty keyboard and a big monitor, why didn't Google offer it sooner?...

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » June 21st, 2018, 3:57 pm

I've messaging via Signal some time ago. If you are at all concerned about privacy it's worth giving it a look.

Works on Android and IOS.

It's a very simple looking gui, but has some interesting security enhancements.

And it doesn't keep bugging you about getting acces to contacts, pictures etc.

www signal org

It uses the Open Whisper Systems and has some really well known fans......Lol

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 21st, 2018, 4:11 pm

There are loads of third party solutions like pushbullet, I just wanted something simple that integrated fully with Android messages and my 4G data plan, (to avoid yet another app/platform.)

For 'secure' messaging/email that needs it (not much for me) I have other solutions like Proton Mail/VPN et al which are phone app and web accessible.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » June 21st, 2018, 7:10 pm

formoverfunction wrote:I've messaging via Signal some time ago. If you are at all concerned about privacy it's worth giving it a look.

Works on Android and IOS.

It's a very simple looking gui, but has some interesting security enhancements.

And it doesn't keep bugging you about getting acces to contacts, pictures etc.

www signal org

It uses the Open Whisper Systems and has some really well known fans......Lol

Am I right in thinking this only allows you to message other Signal users?

If so, it isn't really an alternative to the SMS integration offered by the Android Messages for the Web feature. I can use this to send SMS messages (within my usage plan - of unlimited texts) to anyone for whom I have a mobile phone number without needing any knowledge of what platform they are using to read it...

Or have I missed something?

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » June 22nd, 2018, 9:23 am

You are correct, you can only send to other Signal users. Signal does have a desktop application.

As to receiving from none-Signal users, I now insist if people want to send messages they use something that is encrypted and private.

So, if they don't use Signal, they take time to install Tutanota or Proton Mail.

iMessages I'm OK about from other iPhone users. Just. They have to be in my much reduced contact list to get read. I'd prefer Android users didn't add me to their contact apps.

The days when I was happy to receive unencrypted comms are gone I'm afraid.

It might sound like I'm going over the top,unless you've also experience profile cloning and then you look back and shudder about how easy it was to get hold of you...how widely your information was scattered.

Gone are Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin and most of 3000 people in my social media. Can't say I regret it.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » June 22nd, 2018, 9:32 am

"For 'secure' messaging/email that needs it (not much for me) I have other solutions like Proton Mail/VPN et al which are phone app and web accessible."

- it's rather good isn't.

I even run it on a Raspberry Pi, the VPN, using OpenVPN.

Have you tried out the Proton Mail Bridge? I use Totanota for my secure mail.

I'm toying with the idea of using Proton Mail, the paid version.

I've also just starting using Diaspora* there are lets of people who are interested in privacy and encryption there. Bit of an odd place, much like the old days of the internet, but many helpful folk. It's a community based version of Facebook, but big on privacy. They even rip out the 'data tags" from pictures if you upload them. No Geo-locating more you.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 22nd, 2018, 9:32 am

formoverfunction wrote:You are correct, you can only send to other Signal users. Signal does have a desktop application.

As to receiving from none-Signal users, I now insist if people want to send messages they use something that is encrypted and private.

So, if they don't use Signal, they take time to install Tutanota or Proton Mail.

iMessages I'm OK about from other iPhone users. Just. They have to be in my much reduced contact list to get read. I'd prefer Android users didn't add me to their contact apps.

The days when I was happy to receive unencrypted comms are gone I'm afraid.

It might sound like I'm going over the top,unless you've also experience profile cloning and then you look back and shudder about how easy it was to get hold of you...how widely your information was scattered.

Gone are Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin and most of 3000 people in my social media. Can't say I regret it.

Some CERN bods are working on an encrypted, secure personal ID database idea so that in the future you don't have to have any of your personal details stored on the plethora of databases littering the web.
All the third party sites would ping the secure database to get verification that you are who you say you are, I'm assuming it uses some sort of two step authentication but the details of the whole project are very sketchy. I've seen one interview with Tim Berners Lee where he mentioned it and two very brief articles in the IT press.

Sounds great in principle though.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » June 22nd, 2018, 9:52 am

It does. I had the experience of finding a full profile for myself on a website I'd never joined.

I suspect it was from date someone uploaded who I was connected with on Linkedin.

It's a little startling to find your mobile number, email, picture, work history on a business networking site you've never been a member of!

I thought I'd done all the right things with Linkedin, Facebook etc, but the issue was what people had collected in their "contact" lists.

Who ever it was, was very happy to share my information with a 3rd party. Alongside everyone else they'd ever done business with.

The idea of a central database, that's isn't stored locally sounds interesting. Signal has a good way of managing connecting users.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 14th, 2018, 11:16 am

One annoying bug is that when the messages for web browser tab is opened it vibrates the phone to alert to the sync connection, and then keeps doing it at regular intervals (like it is dropping and reconnecting all the time.)

I don't want to switch SMS vibrate alert off on the phone as I live in a noisy city environment, so the audible alerts often get missed.
Can't see anything in settings to stop it.

Hopefully an update soon will fix (I've sent feedback.)

Edit: It appears to be polling on a fairly short time frame, so any activity within the tab triggers a vibrate alert.

Edit Edit: It could be a security feature, so if you're not at your PC you are alerted to any activity within the browser tab. Password protecting the tab with a flexible timeout would make more sense...

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”