Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

My computer is driving me bonkers!!!

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: My computer is driving me bonkers!!!

Postby Alaric » July 7th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Bouleversee wrote: I don't begin to understand why this should happen

There's software out there which is designed to stop batteries charging before they reach 100%. Usually something like 80% or 85% is the trigger point. But if it misbehaves ...

The disconnect/reconnect is the usual cold shower of being switched off and then on again, which often coaxes reluctant electronic equipment into behaving.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 24th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Devjon wrote:A bit late to this thread but is there a possibility that voice dictation has been enabled by accident?
( Some voice dictation utilities are invoked by a particular key combination, it's sometimes possible to mistype and trigger the voice recognition )

Just a thought,

Devjon

What about someone reading out what I have typed, as happened to me last night? I have no idea what I typed to trigger that or how to switch it off, other than backpeddling and starting the message again.

I am still getting the jumping around and deleting. I must try to find time read this thread again.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 25th, 2018, 12:08 am

Bouleversee wrote:What about someone reading out what I have typed, as happened to me last night? I have no idea what I typed to trigger that or how to switch it off, other than backpeddling and starting the message again.

In Windows 10 the 'Narrator' can be turned on or off by pressing Ctrl + WindowsKey + Enter.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 8:33 am

Thanks, Bree. Does one press them at the same time or in sequence? Presumably, one does the same to turn it on but there is no way I did that accidentally.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 25th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks, Bree. Does one press them at the same time or in sequence?

Press all three keys at the same time to toggle the Narrator on or off.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 25th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks, Bree. Does one press them at the same time or in sequence?

Hold down both Ctrl and the WindowsKey and then press Enter.

(If you try to press all three keys at the same time it's very timing critical; if you press Enter just a teeny fraction before the others nothing will happen.)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Thanks, both. How I hate computers! I've not heard the voice (or any other voices) since that one time so I presume I don't need to do anything unless it happens again. I simply do not see how I can have switched it on (or off) myself. I had a repeated offer from HP to extend the now expired insurance/guarantee on my computer, which I ignored. Perhaps they have taken it over and that's why I'm having all these problems. :shock:

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 16th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Many thanks, PD, for finding that. I had tried various possible headings rather than the obvious one!

I have now unplugged and replugged the battery and it has already gone from 6% to 1 hr 29mins. to full charge. Hopefully problem solved but I will keep an eye on it. Now why is it impossible for me to remember to do that? I did wonder whether to take out the plug that goes into the adaptor rather than the one plugged into the laptop. Would that have achieved the same result?

it's now gone back to "1 hr 25 mins to full charge". I trust that that means it will only take that long to be fully charged. Will check at that point to see if fully charged.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”