Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

SCSI well past EOL?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
JonE
Lemon Slice

SCSI well past EOL?

Postby JonE » July 2nd, 2018, 5:08 pm

With a house purchase (not in UK) I've 'inherited' a whole heap of SCSI stuff but wonder whether there is any real point (or, indeed, any point whatsoever) in using SCSI in a non-professional environment nowadays.

This hoard of venerable cr@p includes:
various Symbios SYM8751SPE PCIe plus Adaptec 29160 PCIe and 2940 PCI cards (yes, I'm still running one motherboard which includes PCI slots) and a couple of PCMCIA-SCSI converters;
rack of Seagate Ultra320 HDDs (haven't disassembled rack to read labels for individual capacities);
pile of 35/70 & 40/80 GB tape drives with bags full of cassettes;
boxes of unused SCSI-SATA and SCSI-IDE bridges;
untold number of adaptors, connectors and cables.

I'm half-tempted to put in the back of a drawer a 29160 card and a PCMCIA-SCSI converter plus a few cables with various ends and one HDD 'just in case' but might I just as well (responsibly) junk the rest?

Cheers!

JonE
Lemon Slice

Re: SCSI well past EOL?

Postby JonE » July 3rd, 2018, 5:28 pm

ap8889 wrote:Ebay?

When I'd checked out that possibility I'd found that my location makes p&p impossibly high for bulky/heavy items and sufficiently high for things like cards that the headline price I could ask makes it not worthwhile - especially given that I'd have to travel 21 miles each way to a post office that accepts items for international delivery.

The auction house doesn't accept this sort of thing so, given that there haven't been any responses suggesting benefits of retaining anything, WEEE recycling looks to be on the cards.

Cheers!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”