Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Windows 10 v 1803 Numlock Behaviour

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Windows 10 v 1803 Numlock Behaviour

Postby staffordian » July 3rd, 2018, 11:13 pm

My laptop treated me to the latest update a day or two ago.

Up until this latest version of Windows 10, my numlock has stubbornly refused to be on after startup, whereas with previous versions it was always on.

But since v1803, it now seems to have mended it's ways and is on when Windows starts. I can't see anything online to suggest Microsoft have changed this behaviour, but nonetheless, it is welcome.

Has anyone else spotted this change, or was I alone in having the previous problem of it not being on?

ElCid

Re: Windows 10 v 1803 Numlock Behaviour

Postby ElCid » July 5th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Hi Staffodian,

My desktop updated a few weeks ago and I did notice that the startup setting for Numlock is now "On". This was very welcome as my first action when my computer booted previously was to turn it on so one less keystroke!

EC

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 5th, 2018, 10:06 pm

ElCid wrote:Hi Staffodian,

My desktop updated a few weeks ago and I did notice that the startup setting for Numlock is now "On". This was very welcome as my first action when my computer booted previously was to turn it on so one less keystroke!

EC

Exactly what I used to do EC, so I agree it's a welcome return to how things used to be with previous versions of Windows.

I've not looked at it in detail, but I assume it remembers the state of the Numlock when the 'puter was last switched off and then starts with it in the same state.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 6th, 2018, 2:49 pm

staffordian wrote:

EC

Exactly what I used to do EC, so I agree it's a welcome return to how things used to be with previous versions of Windows.

I've not looked at it in detail, but I assume it remembers the state of the Numlock when the 'puter was last switched off and then starts with it in the same state.

Can't be that new! On my Windows 8 notebook the Num Lock setting is account based. It remembers how it was set when a user logs off and restores it when the user logs on. This behaviour survives a PC hardware restart.

PS. Personally, I never seem to use Num Lock.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 6th, 2018, 3:23 pm

XFool wrote:
staffordian wrote:

EC

Can't be that new! On my Windows 8 notebook the Num Lock setting is account based. It remembers how it was set when a user logs off and restores it when the user logs on. This behaviour survives a PC hardware restart.

PS. Personally, I never seem to use Num Lock.

I think Windows 10 sent it pear shaped, at least until the latest update. Like you, I could have done without the NumLock key until W10 forced me to remember to press it before I logged in (I use a PIN to log in).

Now, I just have to remember NOT to press it :-)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”