Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Keyboard error

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Parky
Lemon Slice

Keyboard error

Postby Parky » July 5th, 2018, 6:46 pm

For a while now (on Windows 10) when I type, I get a " instead of an @ and vice versa. It doesn't always happen, but it happened in this post. I can correct it by going back and typing the opposite character to the one I want, but why does it happen, and how can I correct it.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Keyboard error

Postby XFool » July 5th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Sounds like switching between UK and US keyboard layouts for some reason. Sorry I can't suggest a solution.

Wikipedia

Funnily enough... when I was with TalkTalk, I had the same problem with my landline phone announcements! It's why I left TT.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 5th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Parky wrote:For a while now (on Windows 10) when I type, I get a " instead of an @ and vice versa. It doesn't always happen, but it happened in this post. I can correct it by going back and typing the opposite character to the one I want, but why does it happen, and how can I correct it.

Do you have a spare KB to try? It's a possibility that it's one too many toast crumbs or something...

RC

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 5th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Parky wrote:For a while now (on Windows 10) when I type, I get a " instead of an @ and vice versa. It doesn't always happen, but it happened in this post. I can correct it by going back and typing the opposite character to the one I want, but why does it happen, and how can I correct it.

See this earlier thread, then follow the link in the 3rd post:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=12222

That is if you don’t want the American version of the keyboard.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 5th, 2018, 7:48 pm

If it is intermittent and not the result of a Windows upgrade or reinstall, just sharply depress each key in turn and see if one is sticking down (not necessarily the one you are wanting to type - surprisingly! ).

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 5th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Parky wrote:For a while now (on Windows 10) when I type, I get a " instead of an @ and vice versa..

Try the £ and # keys, if they're swapped too you are using a UK keyboard with the US layout selected (or vice versa). In windows it's quite possible to have multiple keyboard layouts installed and to swap between them with the WinKey + Spacebar. An accidental use of these keys may explain the intermittent switching.

To identify the language of your keyboard look at the '3' key, if it has the £ sign as the 'shift' character you have a UK keyboard. On a US keyboard it will be #.

Now look in Setting to see what keyboard layout(s) you have installed.

Go to Settings - Time & language - Region & language. Here you should see your display language as English (United Kingdom). You can click on this name to get to its options. Here you will see: [+] Add a keyboard and a list of installed keyboard(s). Click on any keyboard you find the and you'll get a Remove option (you won't be able to remove the last remaining keyboard, you have to have a minimum of one).

PS: I have a strange keyboard that's almost (but not quite) a UK one. I have ENG UK, US & INTL installed to let me get to all the keys I need - it's a long story...
viewtopic.php?p=3016#p3016
Last edited by Breelander on July 5th, 2018, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TedSwippet
Lemon Slice

Postby TedSwippet » July 5th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Apparently, Windows 10 uses Ctrl+Shift and Alt+Shift as keyboard shortcuts to switch language and/or keyboard layout.

It could be that you're triggering this accidentally, and alternating between UK and US keyboard layouts without really noticing. These seem like silly choices of shortcut if you ask me. Very easy indeed to hit those combinations inadvertently.

Parky
Lemon Slice

Postby Parky » July 5th, 2018, 9:22 pm

TedSwippet wrote:

Apparently, Windows 10 uses Ctrl+Shift and Alt+Shift as keyboard shortcuts to switch language and/or keyboard layout.

It could be that you're triggering this accidentally, and alternating between UK and US keyboard layouts without really noticing. These seem like silly choices of shortcut if you ask me. Very easy indeed to hit those combinations inadvertently.

Thanks Ted. I pressed Alt+Shift and all returned to normal. A simple fix for once which I never would have discovered without the help of this board.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » July 6th, 2018, 12:49 am

TedSwippet wrote:Apparently, Windows 10 uses Ctrl+Shift and Alt+Shift as keyboard shortcuts to switch language and/or keyboard layout.

If you only have one keyboard set up, those shortcuts don't do anything.
And they are useful if you are someone who flips between keyboards / input methods if you use more than one language. I've been using Alt+Shift probably since Win95, definitely XP.

torata

TedSwippet
Lemon Slice

Postby TedSwippet » July 6th, 2018, 8:55 am

torata wrote:If you only have one keyboard set up, those shortcuts don't do anything.

Right. If you don't have any need to use a US keyboard layout you may as well remove it from the list. Same goes for any other.

torata wrote:And they are useful if you are someone who flips between keyboards / input methods if you use more than one language. I've been using Alt+Shift probably since Win95, definitely XP.

Sure. I didn't say these shortcuts were not useful, just that the key sequences assigned to the seemed too easy to trigger accidentally. Borne out by the complaints made by other users in the Microsoft 'answers' thread referred to earlier.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » July 6th, 2018, 9:20 am

TedSwippet wrote:Sure. I didn't say these shortcuts were not useful, just that the key sequences assigned to the seemed too easy to trigger accidentally.

If trying to write French or German with accents, an alternative keyboard might be an easier way of doing it than trying to hunt down the relevant symbol or Alt code. That would assume you know where the accents live.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 6th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Parky wrote:
TedSwippet wrote:

Thanks Ted. I pressed Alt+Shift and all returned to normal. A simple fix for once which I never would have discovered without the help of this board.

Now uninstall American English.
That has been my practice since Windows 3.1 as it seems to avoid problems with software that really, really, really wants to use American.

Slarti

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”