Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Is this bit of kit the right thing for what I need?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Is this bit of kit the right thing for what I need?

Postby Satsuma » July 9th, 2018, 8:45 am

I need a device to:

* Play DVDs/Blu-Rays
* Be able to play Netflix/potentially other streaming apps (without hooking up my laptop)
* Connect to/via the Now TV smart box if that is relevant (it may not be!)

I'm not too fussed other than that, unless I am missing something vital(?). I considered the Freeview receiver/HDD recorder type boxes but decided against that - more cheap and cheerful for now. My TV has both HDMI and SCART sockets.

Would something like this fit the bill? This is just a first google so open to other suggestions.
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-ho ... 8-pdt.html

MTIA
Sats

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Is this bit of kit the right thing for what I need?

Postby Alaric » July 9th, 2018, 11:17 am

Satsuma wrote:Would something like this fit the bill?

It's a DVD player so ticks the first requirement.
It can access the internet via your wifi, so gains access to Netflix and other on demand services.

Now TV is a separate service, although it also uses your internet connection. You have to think in terms of wiring the Now TV player directly to the TV, usually with HMDI.

SCART is now obsolete, only useful for "legacy" equipment.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » July 9th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Alaric wrote:It's a DVD player so ticks the first requirement.
It can access the internet via your wifi, so gains access to Netflix and other on demand services.

Now TV is a separate service, although it also uses your internet connection. You have to think in terms of wiring the Now TV player directly to the TV, usually with HMDI.

Many thanks to you and Fred for the replies - good to know I was on the right track!

Sorry for not being clearer in my OP too, I already have Now TV up and running (the smart box vs the basic one), all connected via HDMI as mentioned.
Do I need to connect it to the new dvd player as well, or can they just connect and run standalone (I have two HDMI sockets in the TV); and I select whichever input for what I want to use?

Or do I just watch Now TV on the app installed on the DVD player? :?:

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » July 9th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Satsuma wrote:Or do I just watch Now TV on the app installed on the DVD player?

You could do either. It might depend which remote is the easier to use and whether there's any difference in picture or sound quality.

Watch out for Channel 4 and other "4"s though. Although catch up is still available the old-fashioned way through their website, it's disappeared from Freesat catch ups, on demand services and perhaps others.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » July 9th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Thank you for the info, duly noted. Recs all round :D

Hopefully I shall soon be up and running soon!

Sats

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » July 13th, 2018, 9:54 pm

By way of quick update, one click and collect order later, I now have a (surprisingly compact!) DVD/Bluray/WIFI thingybox all hooked up to my tv, netflix and now tv accounts, all working lovely. I went for an LG BP350 model in the end, it had good reviews and was pretty cheap too.

I do now have 3 remotes which is mildly annoying but I dare say I'll get used to it.

So far the netflix viewing is fine, but now tv is very lo-res, although fine via the dedicated box (better that way round that the other!)

Many thanks again for the advice!
Sats

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”