Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Caller Display

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
swill453
Lemon Half

Caller Display

Postby swill453 » July 17th, 2018, 7:51 am

From 1st October this year phone providers are not allowed to charge for Caller ID/Caller Display (OFCOM ruling, don't have reference to hand).

Currently Sky give it free, BT usually charge £1.75/month and Virgin usually charge £2.25/month.

When negotiating with Virgin it was the one thing they wouldn't budge on, which I found a bit irritating given the other stuff they were trying to foist on me (Sky Cinema, free calls etc).

Does anyone know if Virgin have confirmed the charge is going away in October (and if any other charges are going up to compensate)?

Scott.

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Re: Caller Display

Postby Nocton » July 17th, 2018, 8:53 am

Don't know about Virgin or other providers, but PlusNet took the charge off last month.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » July 17th, 2018, 2:17 pm

swill453 wrote:From 1st October this year phone providers are not allowed to charge for Caller ID/Caller Display (OFCOM ruling, don't have reference to hand).Scott.

Most of the scam callers provide a number that does not exist and is frequently changed.

Until this is prevented by exchange blocking, caller display is of less use.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 17th, 2018, 4:15 pm

supremetwo wrote:Most of the scam callers provide a number that does not exist and is frequently changed.

Unless you have phones that only let known numbers straight through, others having to announce themselves or leave a message.

Funnily enough the scams tend not to do that.

Slarti

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 17th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Slarti wrote:
supremetwo wrote:Most of the scam callers provide a number that does not exist and is frequently changed.

Unless you have phones that only let known numbers straight through, others having to announce themselves or leave a message.

Precisely Slarti. Since I got my BT Call Blocker phone, along with Virgin Caller Display, my scam calls went from a few most days, to zilch, zero, nada, none whatsoever in the last 3 years.

Scott.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 24th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Nocton wrote:Don't know about Virgin or other providers, but PlusNet took the charge off last month.

I'm still getting calls marked "incoming call" from unknown numbers which I can't get from 1471 so most likely scammers. I don't think the system works with calls from overseas.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 24th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Nocton wrote:Don't know about Virgin or other providers, but PlusNet took the charge off last month.

I'm still getting calls marked "incoming call" from unknown numbers which I can't get from 1471 so most likely scammers. I don't think the system works with calls from overseas.

Most international calls show as INTERNATIONAL, to me whereas UNKNOWN NUMBER is usually where the callers haven't entered a presentation number into their system.

Hospitals and doctors often do that, they say to protect your privacy, but I'm not sure how it is supposed to help.

Slarti

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 24th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Slarti wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:

Most international calls show as INTERNATIONAL, to me whereas UNKNOWN NUMBER is usually where the callers haven't entered a presentation number into their system.

Hospitals and doctors often do that, they say to protect your privacy, but I'm not sure how it is supposed to help.

Slarti

I agree with you about doctors etc. I live on my own so nobody will be looking at my phone to see who is ringing me and what would it matter if anyone did see a doctor's/hospital's number which they might not even recognise. GP practices have a similar nonsensical excuse for not communicating by email, even innocuous things like when they wiIl be doing the flu jabs. think they are going to have to change.

I do get international calls, too, but I'm pretty sure some of those marked "incoming call" are also from overseas, judging by the accents and way of speaking. Invariably, those where you can get number and ring it lead to a "number not recognised" response .

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 24th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I do get international calls, too, but I'm pretty sure some of those marked "incoming call" are also from overseas, judging by the accents and way of speaking. Invariably, those where you can get number and ring it lead to a "number not recognised" response .

You’ve mentioned calling back before, which I would think is unadvisable as, if you get through, you are only confirming they’ve got a live number. Unless you input 141 (BT) to withhold your number before you call. What if it is a disguised overseas number, will you not be incurring needless call charges.

Not sure which thread this is and haven’t checked if it is on this one it has been mentioned but, if you have BT, set up BT Call Protect http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones- ... 4136279348 and send the scam calls to 1572.

Each and every time.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 24th, 2018, 6:51 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Not sure which thread this is and haven’t checked if it is on this one it has been mentioned but, if you have BT, set up BT Call Protect http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones- ... 4136279348 and send the scam calls to 1572.

More flexible, although at a small cost, are the BT phones which incorporate Call Guardian, such as the BT 8600 which allows you to tailor what happens to each type of call (e.g. international never ring, anyone not on your call list has to say who they are before the phone will ring, a 'do not disturb' setting so the phone doesn't ring at odd hours but with a separate list of VIP callers who can get through at those times, etc.).

BT do three types of phones with call blocking, 'Nuisance Call Blocker,' 'Nuisance Call Blocker Plus' and 'Block up to 100% of Nuisance Calls' - it is the latter type that has the most useful features.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 24th, 2018, 9:57 pm

I'm with PlusNet so would those BT phones work? PlusNet want you to tell them about scammy numbers though if the callers keep changing them and they are all made up, that's not going to help much. Why can't they prevent callers from using fictitious numbers? I have only dialled the number to confirm what I already suspected, that it is a non-number. If anyone did answer I would ring off immediately. I daresay the only effect of this attempt to stop unwanted calls is to prevent your GP getting through to you!

The cheapest way of dealing with it is not to answer any calls with funny numbers or no numbers and if no message is left you know it's a scam attempt. In the meantime, the answerphone has cut in so they have incurred a charge. If this happens frequently, they will eventually give up.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 24th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I'm with PlusNet so would those BT phones work?

Yes, as they just use the Caller ID information.

Bouleversee wrote:The cheapest way of dealing with it is not to answer any calls with funny numbers or no numbers and if no message is left you know it's a scam attempt.

Which is exactly what these phones do, except they don't ring whilst they are doing it.

Bouleversee wrote:In the meantime, the answerphone has cut in so they have incurred a charge. If this happens frequently, they will eventually give up.

They use VOIP which will be effectively free to them.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 11:50 am

I had another unidentified call this morning, which I nearly didn't answer but did and was glad I had done so because it was a call from the County Council's Transport Dept. finally replying to a query I raised with them a while ago regarding responsibility for maintenance of my road; I started a thread on another board about this but it has been left in the air as I am still trying to find out who owns the road and is responsible for its maintenance. So what would have happened to this call if I had one of those BT phones? Presumably, councils (and possibly other large organisations) never give out numbers when they make calls.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 25th, 2018, 11:56 am

Bouleversee wrote:I'm with PlusNet so would those BT phones work? PlusNet want you to tell them about scammy numbers though if the callers keep changing them and they are all made up, that's not going to help much. Why can't they prevent callers from using fictitious numbers? I have only dialled the number to confirm what I already suspected, that it is a non-number. If anyone did answer I would ring off immediately. I daresay the only effect of this attempt to stop unwanted calls is to prevent your GP getting through to you!

The cheapest way of dealing with it is not to answer any calls with funny numbers or no numbers and if no message is left you know it's a scam attempt. In the meantime, the answerphone has cut in so they have incurred a charge. If this happens frequently, they will eventually give up.

I'm with Plusnet and have the BT brand of phones with blocking and the silence is blissful :D

Only people in my address book get straight through and only about 6 people can get through between 9pm and 8:30am.

Twice I've had "Announced Calls" that turned out to be scummy, one was obvious from the announcement and the other went to answer machine where an automated system left a stupid message. That is in 2 years.

I have advised our GP surgery that we don't take number withheld calls and they have set up to text us if they need to contact us, which has happened once due to the doc being ill.

I wasn't aware that Plusnet wanted to know about scammy numbers, but probably won't bother to tell them.

I never call back where someone doesn't leave a message because if it were important to me, they would. Or their name would have popped up on the phone.

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 25th, 2018, 11:58 am

Bouleversee wrote:I had another unidentified call this morning, which I nearly didn't answer but did and was glad I had done so because it was a call from the County Council's Transport Dept. finally replying to a query I raised with them a while ago regarding responsibility for maintenance of my road; I started a thread on another board about this but it has been left in the air as I am still trying to find out who owns the road and is responsible for its maintenance. So what would have happened to this call if I had one of those BT phones? Presumably, councils (and possibly other large organisations) never give out numbers when they make calls.

I've had them from gas engineers and they announce themselves, so I would expect councils to as well.

Slarti

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 25th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I had another unidentified call this morning, which I nearly didn't answer but did and was glad I had done so because it was a call from the County Council's Transport Dept. finally replying to a query I raised with them a while ago regarding responsibility for maintenance of my road; I started a thread on another board about this but it has been left in the air as I am still trying to find out who owns the road and is responsible for its maintenance. So what would have happened to this call if I had one of those BT phones? Presumably, councils (and possibly other large organisations) never give out numbers when they make calls.

The Call Guardian phones are very configurable, so the real answer is "whatever you want".

However the default behaviour would be for your phone not to ring while it answers the unknown caller with a recording asking them to state their name*. If they do that, only then does your phone ring and play their name, giving you the option to accept the call, reject it, or send it to voicemail.

* - it's this step that stops 100% of spam calls, in my experience. Whether robot or human, they never bother.

Scott.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 25th, 2018, 12:07 pm

There is no excuse for failure to provide a Presentation Number - if you can be bothered it is worth complaining about. Unless people complain - or the ICO sort it out - nothing will change.

RC

taylor20
Lemon Pip

Postby taylor20 » July 25th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Well, they took the 99p charge off for caller ID, and added £1 to the cost of the broadband package, so they haven't really stopped charging for it.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 25th, 2018, 6:26 pm

taylor20 wrote:

Well, they took the 99p charge off for caller ID, and added £1 to the cost of the broadband package, so they haven't really stopped charging for it.

The lord giveth and...

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Bizarrely, although I had been receiving it free of charge as part of my switch deal as I had it with BT, when they removed other people's charge, they removed the c.d. service from me! It's supposed to have been reinstated but I'm not totally sure it has been. I rarely get to the phone before it goes to messages.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”