Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Downloading MS Windows Live Mail

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Downloading MS Windows Live Mail

Postby DiamondEcho » July 17th, 2018, 4:19 pm

I'm trying to download a copy of the now old subject onto a new laptop (Windows 10) that did not come with a 'desktop' Outlook programme packaged together with the Office suite I bought together with it.
If I look at MS itself, I pretty much draw a blank, although there seems to be a version for XP.
Google yields a download site called Softpedia, but that's based in Romania - hmmm!
It also suggests a download from Filehippo, which I have previously used and had no problems with. But I tried downloading that and it failed, twice, for reasons I don't understand.
As MS themselves note, WLM was a very popular programme, and still is amongst remaining users, though it is no longer supported (of course). Does anyone have any ideas where I might find a download of it, that I can trust?

Thx!
Windows 10 Home, v1709, 'System type: x-64 based PC'

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Downloading MS Windows Live Mail

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 17th, 2018, 5:02 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:I'm trying to download a copy of the now old subject onto a new laptop (Windows 10) that did not come with a 'desktop' Outlook programme packaged together with the Office suite I bought together with it.
If I look at MS itself, I pretty much draw a blank, although there seems to be a version for XP.
Google yields a download site called Softpedia, but that's based in Romania - hmmm!
It also suggests a download from Filehippo, which I have previously used and had no problems with. But I tried downloading that and it failed, twice, for reasons I don't understand.
As MS themselves note, WLM was a very popular programme, and still is amongst remaining users, though it is no longer supported (of course). Does anyone have any ideas where I might find a download of it, that I can trust?

Thx!
Windows 10 Home, v1709, 'System type: x-64 based PC'

Apparently it's part of Windows Essentials 2012, there's a link here:

https://archive.org/details/wlsetup-all_201704

Apparently good for Win10 x64.

HTH

RC

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 17th, 2018, 5:08 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:

Windows Live Mail was part of the Windows Live Essentials package.

You can still download the off-line installer from Major Geeks here -

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... _live.html

I can't comment on Windows 10 compatibility, but at least you'll be able to give it a go.

If I remember rightly, you can choose to install parts of the Windows Live suite, so you should be able to un-tick everything except Live Mail when you run the above installer, although you may need to carry out a 'Custom Install', or similar, to get the options to do this.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 17th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I can't comment on Windows 10 compatibility, but at least you'll be able to give it a go.

If I remember rightly, you can choose to install parts of the Windows Live suite, so you should be able to un-tick everything except Live Mail when you run the above installer...

I don't use Live Mail, but I do install Movie Maker from the Essentials 2012 offline installer. You may see the installer report a failed install, but don't worry - it fails at a point after a successful install of the parts you have selected. Movie Maker, at least, is fully functional in the latest Windows 10 version 1803 (x64 and x86). The limited testing I have done on Mail suggests that will be functional too.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 17th, 2018, 7:34 pm

I use Live Mail on Windows 10 Home (64 bit op system). It reports to be version 9 of Live mail (so at least you know a version that does work).

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 17th, 2018, 7:39 pm

What advantages are there to WLM over say the W10 Mail/calendar/contacts app, Outlook.com and Office Online integration?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 19th, 2018, 9:14 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:Apparently it's part of Windows Essentials 2012, there's a link here:
https://archive.org/details/wlsetup-all_201704 Apparently good for Win10 x64. HTH RC

Thanks RC, that is a phenomenal organisation/link, that I'd never heard of. I envisage Mrs. DE and myself making good use of it in future!

I tried to do the linked download yesterday, and it stopped/failed a few times. I'll note here what happened so I can return to this after our house-move in a week's time.

Error 1: Error code 0x800x0006 [I googled that and took on board any tips given, and tried start again]
Error 2: [same, and on those below]
Error 3: 'Source: WLX Suite Language'
Error 4: 'Source: UX Platform Lang'
Error 5: [same as 3^]
Error 6: [same as 4^]
At that point it was a couple of hours later and I appeared to be going around in circles. Also it had got to c5pm when the school-child population of this city gets home and on-line, and downloading large files is not tenable as the internet slows to a crawl.

What I for some reason hadn't previously noticed on the laptop - that said it's brand new and only had a couple of hours use - is that it has an in-built Mail app/programme. So I've enabled that to work which is a temporary and partial solution, in that it would appear to allow me to work off-line, though it's one of those 'clever new versions' where many expected features are hidden from view, that's not very intuitive for older non-techy dinosaurs like me.

So that's where I've left it for now, which a sufficient contingency in place, until we're settled back in the UK when I'll sort out a more permanent solution. Thanks again to you, and the others who offered their help!

ps. The above errors happened after I believed I'd downloaded what I understood was the whole exe to the computer, and while I was trying to install it. However I noticed this morning that the downloaded file in File Manager appears as circa 130Meg, but listed as 'Partially complete'.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 19th, 2018, 9:39 am

Sorry another thing, and on a slightly different sub-topic.
During the download, the laptop was repeatedly pestering me to DL/install [if I recall precisely] the April 2018 Windows update; presumably some massive file. I'd opted to delay that for an hour on 2 or 3 occasions but eventually it must have auto-triggered.

When I was looking at it's 'Introduction to your new features' page one thing was listed that caught my eye, the Task View icon in my bottom tool-bar. This appears to list up to 30 days recent activity, like an auto-created timeline of bookmarks of files, web-pages visited and so on. I hadn't seen that before and it's likely handy. But there is a further feature there I did not know was available, that is potential gold-dust if enabled. I can view all that recent activity across my PC and laptop when-ever I want. So I can work on a file on my PC and save it, then switch on my laptop and there it is in Task View. Maybe that feature is 'old news' but it's new news to me, very useful, but it might be new news to others, and they might note you have to go and enable it which proved simple enough, even for me :lol:

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 19th, 2018, 11:13 am

DiamondEcho wrote:Error 1: Error code 0x800x0006 [I googled that and took on board any tips given, and tried start again]
Error 2: [same, and on those below]
Error 3: 'Source: WLX Suite Language'
Error 4: 'Source: UX Platform Lang'

I remember having similar problems when I tried to install Windows Essentials in order to get Movie Maker and the solution was to find the UK English version of the installer (the US English installer gave the sort of problems you're seeing). Digging back through my browser history it looks like I downloaded the UK English installer from:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160423192125/http:/wl.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/1/9/4/194B1919-A211-441F-BC0E-34F6B533B876/en-gb/wlsetup-all.exe

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 19th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Brilliant MC2! It it these smaller issues that usually conspire to defeat me, and it's great you've been through it too and suggest a [linked!] solution.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 20th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Brief update. I'd tried a couple more times to import mail and both times the laptop suggested the import was in progress and 'Should take a few minutes', and yet hours later no progress had been made.

I checked in my Desktop Outlook and ensured all the info like connection Properties options were ticked on/off, 'port numbers' matched, ie the settings were the same on the desktop and laptop before trying the import again. Again it failed [as above].

I went back to the laptop and did a 'right, this is the last chance, as I haven't time for this!' check. I got a surprise! I entered the Port Numbers and before I could click Apply they had reverted to what they originally were. I tried again, same happened. WTH!? Third time they didn't change, and bingo the Outlook Folder list imported in 30 seconds flat!

This is a bookmark post in case I need to come back to this. I will now go and x-check the contents of the laptop Outlook folders vs the desktop to ascertain whether the folder contents are all present and correct.

That was a swerve ball! :?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 20th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Outlook has imported all the folders/e-mails - phew.
I was aware it wasn't importing 'Storage folders' but they are huuuge and not a day-1 or perhaps month-1 priority.
It hasn't imported Contacts or Calendar, but I can work around those in the short-term [they're already imported into the laptop's Mail programme]

I think that's me finished with this job now. Thanks for all the help + suggestions along the way!

If anyone is trying to do as I have been here, be very careful with your Connection settings. And look out for self-changing Port Numbers!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 20th, 2018, 2:38 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Outlook has imported all the folders/e-mails - phew.

Outlook? I thought you were trying to install Windows Live Mail?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 20th, 2018, 3:40 pm

mc2fool wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:Outlook has imported all the folders/e-mails - phew.

Outlook? I thought you were trying to install Windows Live Mail?

You're quite right, my mistake, I'm still not used to 'Outlook' being called Windows Live Mail these days.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 20th, 2018, 3:57 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:You're quite right, my mistake, I'm still not used to 'Outlook' being called Windows Live Mail these days.

It isn't, the two are quite different products. The confusion isn't helped by the fact that the term 'Outlook' is used by MS to cover a multitude of different things. First there's outlook.com, the webmail account that can be accessed by any browser. An outlook.com account can also be accessed by a mail client like Live Mail, the Windows 10 Mail app or Thunderbird etc. Then there's Outlook.exe, a mail client that still comes as part of the more expensive editions of the MS Office suite.

It is quite possible to use an Outlook account with a non-MS mail client, or just a browser. It is equally possible to use the Outlook mail client with almost any non-MS mail account (gMail, Yahoo, etc.) and not have an Outlook account.

And then people post asking for support just saying 'I have Outlook' and expect you to know exactly which one the mean. :(
(not any of you Fools, I'm talking about on other sites)
Last edited by Breelander on July 20th, 2018, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 20th, 2018, 4:05 pm

There's some good Stewmax posts on TMF and here on TLF where he goes into the full detail of all the variations available from MS regarding Outlook/Outlook.com/Mail/Office 365/WLM et al.
Labyrinthine doesn't even approach it. Quite why MS have seen fit to make it all so complicated and confusing I have no idea...

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 20th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Labyrinthine doesn't even approach it. Quite why MS have seen fit to make it all so complicated and confusing I have no idea...

Let's not even mention Outlook Express :roll:

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 20th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Breelander wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:Labyrinthine doesn't even approach it. Quite why MS have seen fit to make it all so complicated and confusing I have no idea...

Let's not even mention Outlook Express :roll:

At least the naming made some sense, a cut down version of Outlook. If they'd kept the theming consistent, say W10 Mail being 'Outlook Free' and Office Online being 'Office 365 Free' with the upgrade path to paid for versions clearly signposted then that would have alleviated a lot of the stupid confusion. As it is it's a disaster, like trying to work out chess moves... :?

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”