Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Software bargain (Techsmith Camtasia / Snagit $20)

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Software bargain (Techsmith Camtasia / Snagit $20)

Postby superFoolish » July 25th, 2018, 7:55 am

If anyone is interested in screen-recording software, Camtasia by Techsmith is the de facto industry standard. Snagit screen-capture software is also included in the offer. The offer includes Mac version of both products, but I only have experience of the Windows versions.

I have used both Camtasia and Snagit almost every day for the last five years (and frequently for the prior 5 years), on a professional basis (to produce training videos), and haven't found anything comparable (certainly in terms of screen-recording).

The current version of Camtasia (2018) is US$250 and Snagit (2018) is US$50. However, the previous versions (Camtasia 9 and Snagit 13) are available for the next 7 days for a total of US$20.

The 2018 version of Camtasia was only released a few weeks ago, and I am still using Camtasia 9, so it's still an up-to-date product. In terms of features, you won't notice anything different between the two versions of Camtasia; the improvements are trivial in my view (although the claim is that the 2018 version has been optimised for speed). The differences between the current and previous versions of Snagit are also trivial in my view.

The Techsmith software licence allows for the installation of the software on 2 PCs (assuming both used by same person). There is no indication that the offer license is anything different.

The offer is via humblebundle.com and includes other software in the price (although none of the other software is of any use to me, and I already have my own Camtasia / Snagit licenses!)

I have purchased Humble Bundle offers a few times in the past, and they are always reliable in delivery (they usually issue activation keys). I am not an expert on Humble Bundle, but I'll be happy to answer any questions if I can. When you purchase, you can choose how your payment is split between the software publishers, charities and Humble Bundle.

For clarity, I have no personal interest in this offer; I'm just a long term customer of Techsmith, and frequently recommend their products.

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/u ... e-software (offer runs out in 7 days and 11 hours from the time of this posting)

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Software bargain (Techsmith Camtasia / Snagit $20)

Postby johnhemming » July 25th, 2018, 9:24 am

I use xsplit for live streaming It is more expensive, but includes screen scraping and can be used to record rather than stream.

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » July 25th, 2018, 2:54 pm

johnhemming wrote:I use xsplit for live streaming It is more expensive, but includes screen scraping and can be used to record rather than stream.

Camtasia is for screen recording, not live streaming. What is screen scraping in this context?

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » July 25th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Screen scraping or Screen recording is often used when people are livestreaming gaming. It will do a live video mix which also lncludes video being played on the screen or a game or merely a still.

This video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tk9SdF4OcE

For example was produced on my older laptop (I have a new one now which is more powerful) using Xsplit to mix a couple of microphones and I think four, but maybe five webcams.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 25th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Thanks for the information. I've not user Camtasia but SnagIt is absolutely excellent!

RC

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » July 26th, 2018, 2:22 pm

johnhemming wrote:Screen scraping or Screen recording is often used when people are livestreaming gaming.

Thanks.

'Screen Scraping' means something different in the web design / software development world; it means programatically reading data from a screen, and (usually) turning it into text for processing. For example, one might 'screen-scrape' Amazon for product prices to provide an alert when a product falls below a certain price, or to create a database of historic prices.

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » July 26th, 2018, 2:26 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Thanks for the information. I've not user Camtasia but SnagIt is absolutely excellent!

You're welcome; it's rare that I do not use Snagit on a working day. I should be on commission; I train thousands of people a year, and recommend it in most training sessions.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 28th, 2018, 10:40 am

Lastpass premium is also available although the mobile app version is now in their free offering.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”