Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

charging phone from car battery

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

charging phone from car battery

Postby bruncher » July 29th, 2018, 7:03 pm

I have a connector which plugs into the socket getting power from my car battery. It came with a Jabra blue tooth ear piece. Is there any reason not to use it to charge my phone?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: charging phone from car battery

Postby Itsallaguess » July 29th, 2018, 7:13 pm

bruncher wrote:
I have a connector which plugs into the socket getting power from my car battery. It came with a Jabra blue tooth ear piece. Is there any reason not to use it to charge my phone?

If you mean a USB charging plug / dongle that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket, then you can use it without issue.

The charging rate will be really small, and unless you keep things plugged in for really long times without the engine running, then you'll be fine.

I use mine all the time, although I remove it from the cigarette socket when not in use, just to be safe.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » July 30th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Ideally you generally need a charger with 2 amp output. Many are only 1 amp, which may not keep up with your phones demand when using satnav. The 'ampere' app is good for showing you the phone battery drain, and also the net charging current.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » July 30th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Many thanks for the replies. My main concern was whether I might damage the phone if the current/voltage was incorrect. I'm very ignorant about this stuff.

I find the phone battery runs down fast using Waze, but much less if I switch off the screen.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 30th, 2018, 1:17 pm

I use the AccuBattery pro app from the Google Play store (I upgraded from the free version last week as they had a flash sale on for just over a quid.)
As well as loads of battery temp/charging and life expectancy info it will report on CPU usage with a real time overlay, which is handy for seeing where bottlenecks are occuring.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... y&hl=en_GB

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”