Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Domain names for free

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Domain names for free

Postby superFoolish » August 14th, 2018, 2:33 pm

I am setting up a web service, and need to use some real domain names (as opposed to an IP address) whilst I configure things like subdomains, mail services, etc. I didn't want to use my own domain names, as I have recently culled my collection as a cost-saving measure, and I want my ownership of the site to be completely unconnected to me (at least, until it goes live).

I was looking for the cheapest domain names available, when I came across freenom.com which provides domain names for free. There are strings attached (read the T&Cs), and the free domain names are limited to .tk .ml .ga .cf and .gq, but I have got it working, inasmuch as the domain and subdomains are doing exactly what I need them to, and I am managing the DNS records for the free domain names on a commercial hosting service. No personal details are collected when registering the domain names.

I did some research and, although Freenom had their wrists slapped by ICANN a few years ago, they now appear to be operating legitimately. Many people are claiming to have used and renewed the free domain names for several years (initial maximum registration is 12 months). To be clear, the agreement is that you are not the owner of the domain name.

Their business model appears to be up-selling to paid-for domain names, and collecting expired free domains and re-purposing them for ad revenue.

There's no chance that I would do anything serious with the free domain names but, for setup purposes, and learning how domain names work, they are useful. Maybe also useful for college / school projects which require setting up a website...

myschoolproject.tk looks better than myschoolproject.freehostingcompany.com (and free hosting often includes ad-banners that you cannot control).

Just one tip; I couldn't for the life of me create a Freenom account using an email address (the verify link sent via email didn't work); I had to use the 'social login' option (i.e. Gmail) to create an account, after which all went well. You may wish to use an anonymous 'burner' Gmail account like I did!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”