Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Downloading from iTunes

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Downloading from iTunes

Postby melonfool » August 14th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Another technical question - so, years ago I had iTunes. I've managed to find the account, log in, and the music is still there.

I tried to download it to my Android phone but that will only work with 'Apple music' which does not include my purchased music, it seems to work like Spotify/Amazon Music where I can pay a sub to stream music. I don't want to do this so I have uninstalled it.

Does anyone have any idea about some free software that can rip the music from iTunes on my laptop into a type I can play from the phone?

I've tried one and while it looks great it's $40 for the functionality to do this (it does other things for free - I wasted hours trying to get it to work as nothing tells you which bits it will do and which it won't).

I looked at an old thread on here but that didn't have the answer.

Thanks

Mel

torata
Lemon Slice

Re: Downloading from iTunes

Postby torata » August 14th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Easiest thing is to convert your purchased music to mp3 in itunes.
Highlight the song/s you want, then File > Convert > mp3 version
After a while you'll have 2 versions of the song, one the original format and the other as mp3.

Then right click the mp3 version > Show in windows explorer, then just copy and paste to wherever you need it.

Torata

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » August 15th, 2018, 3:06 am

It's always puzzled me why iTunes on the desktop is so awful; it's bloated and unintuitive (to me).

I like Apple hardware and iOS, but I've always considered iTunes to be an abomination. I only install it when I absolutely have to (like when I needed it to reset an iPad a couple of weeks ago), but then I always remove it immediately.

Maybe it's just me!

Sorry; not a helpful post, but I just can't help myself when anyone mentions iTunes!

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 15th, 2018, 7:36 am

That's why I don't use it generally, but I hate all Apple products. Someone gave me an iPod years ago and I had to use iTunes to make it work, but I soon tired of it.

I didn't know you could convert them to MP3, I dug around loads yesterday but didn't see that, I'll have a look tonight.

Mel

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » August 15th, 2018, 11:21 am

melonfool wrote:Someone gave me an iPod years ago and I had to use iTunes to make it work, but I soon tired of it.

Perhaps perceptions depend, in part, on whether one uses iTunes as merely an index to your own library/collection or else allows it to 'own' and take control of your media. Most folk seem to assume the latter is the only approach.

I have a dim memory of running CopyTrans Manager on a donated iPod 5G and avoiding iTunes altogether.

Cheers!

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 15th, 2018, 7:49 pm

torata wrote:Easiest thing is to convert your purchased music to mp3 in itunes.
Highlight the song/s you want, then File > Convert > mp3 version
After a while you'll have 2 versions of the song, one the original format and the other as mp3.

Then right click the mp3 version > Show in windows explorer, then just copy and paste to wherever you need it.

Torata

So, the only option I have under 'convert' is AAC Version. Anyone know what that is and whether it is useful?

There are three other options all greyed out, but none is MP3 anyway.

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 15th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Seems to be irrelevant anyway as it tells me the files are 'protected' and cannot be converted.

I don't know what that means.

Mel

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » August 15th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Slightly longwinded but you can make a Playlist, burn that Playlist to disc (File/Burn Playlist To Disc). That gets the songs off of iTunes.
Then rip the files off the disc.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 15th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Maroochydore wrote:Slightly longwinded but you can make a Playlist, burn that Playlist to disc (File/Burn Playlist To Disc). That gets the songs off of iTunes.
Then rip the files off the disc.

Mmm, I'm not sure I know how to do that but years ago a friend did rip my iTunes to a disk but there was no way to play them, they were still in whatever format iTunes uses and could only be used as a back up to iTunes as far as I could tell.

I *think* this software has done it - http://www.synctunes.net/ (took hours, even though it's only c300 tracks) - now I just need to find out where the music has gone.

Mel

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 15th, 2018, 10:35 pm

https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/sul

Listen to your iTunes music with Google Play Music
With our free service you can:

Upload your iTunes®, Windows Media®, or any other collections
Buy new music on Google Play
Listen on Android iOS, and the web

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 15th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Infrasonic wrote:https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/sul

Listen to your iTunes music with Google Play Music
With our free service you can:

Upload your iTunes®, Windows Media®, or any other collections
Buy new music on Google Play
Listen on Android iOS, and the web

Sounds fab. But HOW!?

:))

Mel

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » August 15th, 2018, 11:43 pm

melonfool wrote:Seems to be irrelevant anyway as it tells me the files are 'protected' and cannot be converted.

I don't know what that means.

Mel

Hmm, I am able to convert AAC format and purchased songs ("Purchased AAC") to mp3 no problem.
It may be that you've subscribed to them from Apple Music, rather than purchased them as individual songs.
This article may offer some explanation
https://www.lifewire.com/convert-itunes ... p3-2000442

torata

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 16th, 2018, 12:03 am

I've never used Apple Music, I definitely bought them. Though it was at least nine years ago.

I'll have a look at that link, thank you. The Google Music thing won't work either, it says it's synching but nothing happens.

Mel

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 16th, 2018, 1:21 pm

melonfool wrote:I've never used Apple Music, I definitely bought them. Though it was at least nine years ago.

I'll have a look at that link, thank you. The Google Music thing won't work either, it says it's synching but nothing happens.

Mel

It's possible there's some data corruption due to age, but I don't use Play Music so I can't offer any practical advice I'm afraid.

I did validate Play Music last night on my PC and Android phone with my main Google account and CC for the free access, but I haven't gone any further than that.
I tend to use YouTube and have got that all set up for smart TV, PC and phone use with casting when needed, and there's now a paid for subscription option there too (I'm sticking to free for the moment.)

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 16th, 2018, 2:51 pm

I don't think it's corruption as it plays fine through iTunes. I think it's this 'protection' thing - two albums downloaded via the Google link, same two as downloaded with the other app I used - of those two, one I *think* I bought the CD and ripped into iTunes (only one I ever did and I def do have the CD) and the other is that U2 rubbish that they forced onto everyone.

The rest, all the purchased iTunes music, won't copy.

Mel

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”