Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

VPN extensions - Firefox & Chrome

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
tractorian
2 Lemon pips

VPN extensions - Firefox & Chrome

Postby tractorian » August 15th, 2018, 11:01 am

I'm looking to install an VPN extension (preferably free) into either (or both) the above browsers.

There seem to be many available, does anyone have practical experience of using any?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: VPN extensions - Firefox & Chrome

Postby Infrasonic » August 15th, 2018, 1:49 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+ ... B735&gbv=1

It's worth researching how they actually work in practise before committing to any of them, even the paid for ones.
Free tends to mean you are going to be bandwidth limited on the proxy servers, and security wise you need to feel confident that the VPN provider is legit with no ulterior motives like selling logs to advertisers et al, especially if they get bought out by a bigger company who may well change the goalposts after purchase...

hamzakarim

Postby hamzakarim » August 25th, 2018, 6:50 am

My personal recommendation for you not to use free vpn as they provide blacklisted IPs.There is a chance that they will harm you by not hiding your identity. I suggest you buy top vpns like purevpn, nordvpn or expressvpn.other than this vpn there is a big risk to use. To know more about these vpns and customer's review. You can read the blogs. Go read it and decide either you want to buy it or not.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » August 25th, 2018, 10:07 am

tractorian wrote:I'm looking to install an VPN extension (preferably free) into either (or both) the above browsers.

There seem to be many available, does anyone have practical experience of using any?

I use Proton, paid, and have a second free proton account.

With the paid account I use their desktop app. or when using Linux the command line version.

OpenVPN for the free ProtonVPN. If you create a ProtonMail account you get very limited free VPN.

I use it mainly for social media and general searches or when I'm off my home network.

Occasionaly if I want to watch US TV.

I like the ProtonVPN double core facility where they pass your data through 2 of their own servers, so it makes tracing more difficult.

I occasionaly also use the Tor servers they provide and even less often peer-to-peer torrents. I download legitimate torrents that my ISP blocks by default. Why!!

Sometimes I have 2 sessions going, my real IP and my aquired IP through VPN. I like that I get to choose who see's who I am.

If you do that and manage cookies and java, you have a little bit more control.

I've found Proton to be fast, secure, very few leaks of DNS etc, but not cheap.

Hope that helps. I haven't, but I undestand that you can use it for Netflix.

tractorian
2 Lemon pips

Postby tractorian » August 25th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Thank you all for your comments.

My intended use was to watch football matches via iFollow - games can be watched from abroad, but not from the UK.

I've tried a couple of the free extensions, but without success, I suspect iFollow, as suggested, are aware of their IP addresses and block them. The browser, Opera, has a built in VPN facility, but this too seems to be detected by iFollow.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 26th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Depending on how techie you are, something like shadowsocks might work for you...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowsocks

DonaldSilver

Postby DonaldSilver » August 27th, 2018, 2:10 pm

hamzakarim wrote:My personal recommendation for you not to use free vpn as they provide blacklisted IPs.There is a chance that they will harm you by not hiding your identity. I suggest you buy top vpns like purevpn, nordvpn or expressvpn.other than this vpn there is a big risk to use. To know more about these vpns and customer's review. You can read the blogs. Go read it and decide either you want to buy it or not.

I strongly Agree. I've faced such thing back a year ago. Using a free VPN might cost you something very bad. I don't know why people can't just go and buy a VPN? I mean how much does it gonna cost you? $2, $4 or maximum $8? This money can save your so valuable data from being compromised. There are plenty of cheap VPN services, like PureVPN, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, PrivateVPN and many more, which can not help you spoof your internet identity and make you hideous but also you can access to geo-restricted contents and can access some of the free contents without any hassle.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”