Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Mobile broadband? Tethering?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mobile broadband? Tethering?

Postby Infrasonic » September 6th, 2018, 1:57 pm

FredBloggs wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:
FredBloggs wrote:Even if such a device exists, you can now download and use Skype "lite".

Is that generally available or region blocked though? Many of those 'lite' Android apps are for India and other DN. Whenever I've tried to get hold of them in the app store I get region blocked, and I can't be bothered doing VPN or spoofing for the sake of an app...

Downloaded in Australia the other day and works just like full fat Skype as far as I can see.

Ah OK, maybe Australia is still classified as a developing nation then... :twisted:

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » September 6th, 2018, 2:00 pm

WhatsApp users also have video calls and VOIP voice calls as options.
I use both: Skype for a pre-planned sit-down session on a tablet or PC and WhatsApp for instant calls when on the move. It's horses for whatsits.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 6th, 2018, 2:06 pm

stewamax wrote:WhatsApp users also have video calls and VOIP voice calls as options.
I use both: Skype for a pre-planned sit-down session on a tablet or PC and WhatsApp for instant calls when on the move. It's horses for whatsits.

Recently started using WA, one use that has come in really handy is the new parking enforcement company for my flats are using it. Take a photo of the offending vehicle and reg, WA the parking company with the photo, address and bay number, ticket sent in the post via DVLA info.
I'm trying to negotiate some revenue sharing currently seeing as they don't physically turn up to ticket any more with WA...:)

FB Messenger is an all singing all dancing messaging app too.

Where will it all stop, argghhh...

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » September 6th, 2018, 2:11 pm

vrdiver wrote:
FredBloggs wrote:I have a 40 Gb 4g allowance per month.
<snip>
It has turned out to be a good, cost effective option for me.

For people wanting continuous usage, month in, month out, I agree that type of solution is probably the best alternative to a land-line, and can be cheaper than the LL depending on usage etc.

For those with time-variable requirements (e.g. use heavily some weeks, then very little if at all for a month or two, repeating with variation over the year) having a monthly fee is annoying for those months it's not required. In my case, we use about 15-20Gb a year, so on the face of it, a 2 or 3GB monthly plan would suffice. Problem is, our usage is skewed to 6 or 7 weeks weighted towards Spring and Summer use, with peak month of about 6Gb.

The data sims work well for my sort of usage, the monthly plan for yours. Hopefully the OP has a fair idea of their own usage pattern and one or other type of solution will meet their needs!

VRD

Sim-only phone deals from GiffGaff (and Im sure there's other similar) go up to 20gb unlimited text/calls for £20. They are changeable each month. It's actually PAYG but you can buy "goodybags" each month if you like. Change them each month or not have one at all for a while if you like. Sure there's a time limit on that though. So it's prices of monthly and flexibility of PAYG. Oh, and you can tether for the data plans with limits. I'm pretty sure that is the correct term by the way as is "hot spot". Sure it has other meanings / usage cases too but is valid for this one also.

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 6th, 2018, 2:21 pm

^^ With the MVNO's there's always the question mark over how much bandwidth you get allocated in relation to the host networks direct customers.

I've never had an MVNO deal so can't comment, but I have seen comments from people online who have done direct comparisons between say O2 as the host and GG as the MVNO on similar phones next to each other and the GG bandwidth is significantly lower than the O2.
Have to be careful about people with grudges distorting this sort of anecdotal data but it's something to bear in mind if bandwidth is a priority.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 5th, 2018, 2:06 pm

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2 ... plans.html
Mobile operator Three UK has today quietly removed the “Personal Hotspot” usage caps on their 4G mobile plans, which means that customers can now use all of their monthly data allowance to support Tethering (i.e. using your phone as a mobile broadband router for connecting other computers to the internet via WiFi etc.).
Cont.

My unlimited data account hasn't updated yet, I'll keep tabs on it to see if they honour existing accounts without having to renew the contract...

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 15th, 2018, 11:55 pm

Well my 3 account app now tells me my plan is unlimited data, no mention of tethering at all.
So I suppose I should see how much tethering I can get away with before they warn me for 'fair use'... :D

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”