Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Dying HDD, can't clone, can't rescue - ideas?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Dying HDD, can't clone, can't rescue - ideas?

Postby bungeejumper » November 14th, 2018, 10:59 am

Spoiler: I am about to replace this two year old PC - No, don't try to change my mind, I've already ordered the replacement. :cry: There's only so much computer aggro a simple non-techie man can take. But I'd be interested to hear of any suggestions as to how I might be able to rescue the machine at a later date, when I'm not quite so busy!

A couple of weeks ago I reported on 100% disk usage from my two year old Acer PC, accompanied by warnings that my disk was in trouble. And on super-slow performance and long time-lags between hitting a key and anything happening. With the enormous support of fellow Fools on this forum, I managed to get it CHKDSKing, something it really didn't seem to want to do at first.

However, despite repeated CHKDSK/f/r operations, it's still displaying 100% disk usage, and it won't make rescue discs or clone with Macrium Reflect. (I've got a lovely new HDD and a caddy ready to receive the clone, but the main data partition consistently fails to clone with an Error Code 7. Ditto with rescue disks onto USB, which all fail for no stated reason during the data-gathering process.)

I am also getting warnings that say “Failed to initialize Microsoft.net Framework 4 or higher”, and no amount of CHKDSKing or anything else seems to make a difference.

Sooooo……

I am a simple man, with no techie qualities whatsoever. Whatever it is that's gone wrong with my Windoze - and it sounds serious! - I am happy enough to accept that I might to better to dump my hard disk and start over with a new paid-for copy of Windows 10. All my data's backed up, so I'd have little to lose. But how do I do that?

From what I've gathered it isn't as simple as buying a copy of Windoze and bunging it in, because each copy of Win 10 is registered against the computer hardware (or something like that). Would I be able, for example, to borrow a working rescue disk from another computer and then use that to bootstrap a new HDD, and then get the proper version of Windows using my current licence code?

All this is for the future, though. Right now, I have work to do and I can't afford to wait, hence the new machine which arrives tomorrow. Wish me better luck this time.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dying HDD, can't clone, can't rescue - ideas?

Postby Breelander » November 14th, 2018, 3:24 pm

bungeejumper wrote:... I'd be interested to hear of any suggestions as to how I might be able to rescue the machine at a later date, when I'm not quite so busy!
... I am happy enough to accept that I might to better to dump my hard disk and start over with a new paid-for copy of Windows 10. ...But how do I do that?

Well, I am happy to inform you that you won't have to pay a penny for the Windows 10. The PC has a digital licence for W10 stored on the Microsoft activation servers and linked to the hardware ID of the PC. Crucially, the hard drive is NOT part of this ID so you can replace it and still have a licence for W10. Note that a digital licence is for one edition, the same one as you had before, Home or Pro.

Once you have a replacement drive installed, download the Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10

Run the MCT and choose 'Make media for another PC'. Make the USB media and boot the repaired PC from this USB to install W10 on the empty replacement drive. If asked for a key click the 'I don't have one' link. If asked which edition to install choose the same as you had before (Home or Pro). Windows 10 will then install and will activate from the digital licence as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

...this two year old PC...

If this PC had an OEM Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 pre-installed by the manufacturer then you won't even be asked for a key of to choose an edition. There will be a key embedded in the bios for the Windows that was originally installed. Setup will read this and install the correct edition automatically.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dying HDD, can't clone, can't rescue - ideas?

Postby Breelander » November 14th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Breelander wrote:If this PC had an OEM Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 pre-installed by the manufacturer ... There will be a key embedded in the bios for the Windows that was originally installed...

In fact, even if you were running Windows 8/8.1 before and had never upgraded to W10 this W8 key is still valid and will activate a fresh install of W10.

Edit: ah, I see that Acer did supply it with W10 - you're good to go :-)

bungeejumper wrote:My computer (Acer Aspire, Windows 10, 8gb, 20 months old)
viewtopic.php?p=164462#p164462

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”