Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Mac OS Mojave

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Mac OS Mojave

Postby Devjon » September 10th, 2018, 4:37 pm

I have been participating in the Mac beta software Programme for several years ( you get early versions of the next proposed OS update )
When the betas for Mac OS Mojave became available I got a message that my iMac would not be getting the update as it was considered too old.
I have a late 2010 iMac with a 2.9ghz Intel i7 processor with 16GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD Drive and a 1TB mechanical drive.

I'm a bit mystified as to why my machine is deemed unsuitable, is the Processor really that slow compared to a recent Mac computer?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mac OS Mojave

Postby scotia » September 10th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Ouch! If it needs something bigger and faster than your current machine, it certainly seems to be heading to the top of the bloat stakes.
Or is it possible it needs some additional piece of hardware that Apple have included in more modern machines?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 10th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Devjon wrote:I have a late 2010 iMac with a 2.9ghz Intel i7 processor...

It doesn't seem to be the processor that's the problem (maybe it's the GPU?). Some of those listed as compatible do use an i7. Unfortunately for an iMac it's...
Apple wrote:iMac models introduced in late 2012 or later
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/macos/mojave

So that may give you a clue. What changed in the iMac spec in late 2012?
Last edited by Breelander on September 10th, 2018, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 10th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Maybe it's support for the latest video standards and the like?

10 bit 4K HEVC needs gen 7 onwards Intel CPU's as a minimum for instance. I'm sure there's other recent standards developments that won't run on older CPU's.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 10th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Breelander wrote:What changed in the iMac spec in late 2012?

The graphics, for one thing...

(mid-2011) Radeon HD 6750M/6770M (late-2012) GeForce GT 650M
Differences Between Mid-2011 and Late 2012 Aluminum iMac: EveryMac.com

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » September 10th, 2018, 8:47 pm

There is a bit of a story about my machine. At the time I purchased it I was a student with the O.U. Knowing that Apple gave an Academic discount and, at the time, 3 years of Applecare for £29, I phoned up Apple customer support to enquire if I could get the discount as an O.U. student. I also asked if the discount applied to the Apple refurb store as I had seen a refurbished machine that I could ( just about ) afford.

The person I spoke to was really helpful, he said that yes, I could have the discount, yes I could have the 3 years Applecare for £29, but we can offer you the latest machine with a higher specification for less money. It was an offer that I could not refuse so I ordered it there and then.

Delivery was about 2 weeks and I was provided with a tracking number. The day arrived when my machine was due to be delivered to my work address. One of my many tasks was Goods Inwards ( my desk was closest to the door that the delivery drivers used ) Late morning I checked the tracking and saw that my brand new iMac was showing as " Delivered ". I knew that wasn't the case and so I phoned up the Apple contact number and explained the situation, believing that my `computer had either been mis-delivered or stolen. The lady I spoke to said that they would speak with the courier ( UPS )

About 30 minutes later I received a phone call from a Senior Manager at UPS apologising to me and explaining that the " Delivered " message referred to the fact that " high value items " had been released into the custody of the vehicle driver and not actually delivered to the named recipient.

A little while later the UPS guy arrives and delivered my brand new iMac, later on that afternoon I received a phone call from Apple, a lady with an American accent, who asked me if everything had been resolved to my satisfaction. Truly exceptional customer service

Back on topic, I just did a system check and the machine has discrete a discrete graphics card " ATI Radeon HD 5750 " I assume that it is the graphics which has advanced so rapidly, and not the CPU.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 10th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Devjon wrote:Back on topic, I just did a system check and the machine has discrete a discrete graphics card " ATI Radeon HD 5750 " I assume that it is the graphics which has advanced so rapidly, and not the CPU.

That's a bit rough - they can't get their latest operating system to work with a reasonably decent graphics card?

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » September 10th, 2018, 11:54 pm

scotia wrote:
Devjon wrote:Back on topic, I just did a system check and the machine has discrete a discrete graphics card " ATI Radeon HD 5750 " I assume that it is the graphics which has advanced so rapidly, and not the CPU.

That's a bit rough - they can't get their latest operating system to work with a reasonably decent graphics card?

That's right. Apple can't get their operating system to work on their own machines. [That's the company that moved their entire platform from Motorola to Intel practically overnight with nary a glitch.]

They also can't build mobile phones and know nothing about music devices. Make sure you buy something decent like a Nokia, Compaq or Sony next time...

GS

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 11th, 2018, 11:34 am

Thinking this over - is it possible they simply don't want older Macs to be part of their Beta Test program? But when the Mojave full release rolls out, it may (I would hope) support your older configuration. Without wishing to start a flame war, Windows 10 will work satisfactorily on much lower specs than your machine. It is perfectly happy with my I3 processor, and no additional graphics card. If Mojave doesn't operate on your (high spec) machine, then it looks like a deliberate policy to get you to buy a new one. But lets wait and see before making such pronouncements.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 11th, 2018, 12:54 pm

scotia wrote:Thinking this over - is it possible they simply don't want older Macs to be part of their Beta Test program?

My thoughts also. If they are testing their latest operating system, they probably have code that takes advantage of latest hardware. It will be these areas that they are more interested in. (I'm assuming they've done regression testing in house and are reasonably happy that the new OS behaves like the old OS where required...)

There is also a "profile perception". They probably have a beta tester profile that is the sort of person who is a bit of a technophile: as demonstrated not only by signing up to the beta programme, but also by having a reasonably recent/latest spec hardware. If so, then you didn't make the cut with your current hardware.

VRD

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”