Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

MacbookPro and Adobe Premier Pro

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
JayHoe

MacbookPro and Adobe Premier Pro

Postby JayHoe » September 13th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Hi,

I'm not an Apple person but my daughter is just starting a course in film editing and is recommended to get a Macbook Pro to work at home using Adobe Premier Pro. We are getting one and have been looking at the following spec and would like some advice from any Mac experts... especially anyone who does video editing...

Macbook Pro 13" screen, 16gb memory, 256gb SSD (there will be a 1tB offline storage drive)

The choice of chips are Intel 2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

or

Intel 2.5GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz

Can anyone please confirm if this looks OK - have we gone over the top for anything or have not spec'd high enough (15" screen? - a hell of a lot more money!!!)

Thanks in advance

Jayhoe

torata
Lemon Slice

Re: MacbookPro and Adobe Premier Pro

Postby torata » September 14th, 2018, 12:32 am

JayHoe wrote:Can anyone please confirm if this looks OK - have we gone over the top for anything or have not spec'd high enough (15" screen? - a hell of a lot more money!!!)

My tuppence worth.
Invest in a 2nd monitor as big as budget will allow.
Even 15" screen won't be comfortable when she's using more than a couple of tracks.

I've used both macs and PCs and a number of different editing packages. I found the transition to mac frustrating as it was only for editing, and I was using PC for the rest of my life. I had no problem with Premier Pro on PC, but it was several years ago.
In case you think about using different software, don't. I remember having to transition from Premier to Final Cut Pro in the middle of several projects; it was a nightmare.

torata

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 14th, 2018, 7:49 am

The choice of chips are Intel 2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

or

Intel 2.5GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz

The latest MBP's on the Apple site are gen 8 Intel CPU's, so is the gen 7 spec an effort to save money on an older model or?...
With Thunderbolt 3 there's always the possibility for using an external graphics dock (eGPU) at a later date if the MBP specs start to wilt in the face of ever increasing graphics software demands.
MBP's use all 4 PCIe lanes for TB3 so will have the full 40Gbps bandwidth available (something to watch out for with many PC laptops/ultrabooks.
One or two PCIe lanes only is quite common with a corresponding drop in bandwidth, and yet it is still marketed as Thunderbolt 3...)

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » September 14th, 2018, 12:51 pm

If this helps at all.

I "downsized" a few years ago from 15' to 13" and havent noticed the difference at all.

When I want to use a larger screen, for example I'm learning to play Go, I usually just Air Play to an external one.

I often make use of an oldish (10 years) TV and Fire Stick for that purpose.

On average I keep my MacBooks, and their previous outings, 7 to 10 years so it's not a bad strategy buying the fastest models you can. You are going to be living with it for a long time!

Overall, I find Apple kit keeps going for a long time. My olderst still running device dates back to 1996. Obviously there's compromises as they age, but that's something you deal with or not. Given the cost I get as much life out of them as possible.

My present maching is early 2011.

JayHoe

Postby JayHoe » September 14th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Hi all and thanks.

I hadn't spotted that the smaller screen size gave you an older generation chip! Don't really want to do that. Plus, I see that with the 15" you get 16gb and 256gb SSD as standard - so the extra is really for a combo of larger screen size and newer chip.

So is this https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/m ... core-256gb good for Premier Pro enabling it to run at a reasonable and usable pace? (2.2GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz)

Many thanks again (recs all round!)

John

JayHoe

Postby JayHoe » September 16th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry to bump this and hassle you, but can anyone confirm if the machine I mentioned in my last post is suitable for Adobe Premier Pro please. I need to make a decision and order in the next few days.

With thanks

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 16th, 2018, 6:54 pm

JayHoe wrote:
I'm sorry to bump this and hassle you, but can anyone confirm if the machine I mentioned in my last post is suitable for Adobe Premier Pro please. I need to make a decision and order in the next few days.

I'm not a Mac user, but given that you've not yet mentioned it specifically, are you aware that Adobe themselves are happy to tell you the minimum expected Mac requirements for good use of Adobe Premier Pro?

Link here in case you've not seen it yet -

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/premiere-pro ... ments.html

How does that spec-list compare to your current options?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

JayHoe

Postby JayHoe » September 16th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Hi Its,

It meets all those specs I think, but I was more wondering about which chip. tbh, I think I am over worrying. It's a lot of cash, that I don't mind spending, but I don't want to lay it out on the wrong one!

Cheers

JayHoe

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”