Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Slow upload using WinSCP or any other method

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
wickham
Lemon Slice

Slow upload using WinSCP or any other method

Postby wickham » September 18th, 2018, 7:21 pm

For two days I've had a very slow upload to my host using WinSCP or IE11's ftp program or via cPanel on the host site. I've checked my upload speed at various times of day and it's constant at 840 Kb/s (105 KB/s).

The upload may start at say 15 or 20 KB/s but decreases incrementally like 15.26 KB/s then 15.25 then 15.24 etc. Eventually it gets below 1.00 KB/s and goes down 999 B/s, 998 B/s, 997 B/s etc until I give up.

Would this be my hosting service limiting upload? It was the same at 6am, during the day and now in the evening.

I've also had frequent disconnections in WinSCP which reconnects automatically after 4 seconds but occurs again later. The message is "Timeout detected. (control connection) Copying files to remote side failed."

Any ideas why this is?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Slow upload using WinSCP or any other method

Postby Infrasonic » September 18th, 2018, 7:33 pm

If you log into your BB router admin webpage what is it showing as the uplink speed?

Is it Fibre FTTC/ADSL? Is the line stable (no or very few dropouts)?

The more details the better.

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » September 18th, 2018, 8:06 pm

BT router with ethernet connection. Router Downstream/Upstream is 21.72 Mbps/ 1.077Mbps which should be ample upload speed (1077 Kbps or 134 KBps) whereas I'm getting 15 KB/s reducing to nothing on upload to my host, but my upload internet speed is 840kbps or 105kB/s.

Standard BT line with fibre to the village then copper 1 mile to me. No problem with BB with webpage and other downloads.

Recently, if I upload an individual file or two I haven't noticed a delay, but now I'm trying to upload a complete phpBB program with thousands of files. I used to do this quite quickly but now I'm trying to upload just one directory at a time and failing to do even that.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 18th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Is it practical to run another FTP client with some files just as an A/B to see if that is the issue?

Edit: OK I've seen that you've tried various methods already so it's unlikely to be that.

I'll have a think...
Last edited by Infrasonic on September 18th, 2018, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » September 18th, 2018, 8:17 pm

If it was me I would consider restricting the number of simultaneous ftp/scp upload sessions to 1 if that is an option. I would also consider zipping up the files and uploading that single file instead if the server can accept zip or you have command line access to unzip them once they are uploaded. That would mean your modifications times are maintained too as a nice to have. Just some stuff to try.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 18th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Would this be my hosting service limiting upload? It was the same at 6am, during the day and now in the evening.

Can you try your normal method(s) to a different destination (does the host have a mirror?), so as to A/B that end of the chain? Have you checked the hosts website for any maintenance or downtime issues?

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » September 18th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Infrasonic wrote:

Can you try your normal method(s) to a different destination (does the host have a mirror?), so as to A/B that end of the chain? Have you checked the hosts website for any maintenance or downtime issues?

I have two domain hosting services with the same Host and the other one was equally slow. I'll email the host tomorrow. Dataflame was never a problem but it merged or got taken over last year and I think this is the first time I've tried to upload a lot of directories and files, so tsohost may have different settings.

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » September 18th, 2018, 9:33 pm

TSOhost status report after 6pm today says that a server is experiencing very high load. I suppose it's that server that I'm using, so I'll check tomorrow. Pity they didn't put the report online yesterday!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 27th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Did you resolve this in the end and if so what was it causing the issue?

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » September 30th, 2018, 10:47 am

After the hosting service reported very high load on one of its servers (two days after I was first affected) it got up to speed again on upload, but still disconnected after about 15 seconds and automatically reconnected.

This time a message was quite quick on the host website saying that they were aware of disconnections and were liaising with BT. Next day upload speed returned to normal.

What prompted me to post this topic was that the host's status wasn't reporting a problem at the time.

Dataflame never gave any trouble but was merged or taken over by TSOhost and perhaps this organisation is not as good.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”