Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

NatWest problems

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Alaric
Lemon Half

NatWest problems

Postby Alaric » September 21st, 2018, 9:01 am

After Barclays on Thursday, it's Natwest's turn today.

They seem to have disconnected themselves from the internet.

Attempts to connect come up with
RBS HTTP Error: 502

HTTP_BAD_GATEWAY

You would think that at the very least they could redirect to a page which said "Sorry, online banking unavailable"

Newspaper reports suggested that telephone banking was still working. A Google search for Natwest telephone banking comes up with the same "bad gateway" message.

So what could have gone wrong that removes Natwest from the internet?

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: NatWest problems

Postby Alaric » September 21st, 2018, 10:25 am

Alaric wrote:So what could have gone wrong that removes Natwest from the internet?

Whatever it was, it now appears fixed.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 21st, 2018, 10:30 am

Alaric wrote:
Alaric wrote:So what could have gone wrong that removes Natwest from the internet?

Glad to hear it.

For this reason I keep multiple accounts with different banks to massively reduce the risk of being caught without access to funds when these events happen - something I expect will get more, rather than less, frequent.

Watis

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 21st, 2018, 11:10 am

Alaric wrote:

Oh no it isn't!
"Sorry, the page you are trying to access is unavailable."

For the customer login, just now.

Edit: Clicking "Restart Login" got me to the login page and I was able to login.
But my shortcut to login no longer works and it looks like they've included some sort of cookie check in the page address.

Slarti

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » September 21st, 2018, 11:41 am

Slarti wrote:But my shortcut to login no longer works and it looks like they've included some sort of cookie check in the page address.

So they changed something on the login process and that broke everything for a while?

I only ever type www.natwest.com, but what comes up is
https://personal.natwest.com/personal.html

I'm using Firefox.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 21st, 2018, 12:06 pm

Alaric wrote:
Slarti wrote:But my shortcut to login no longer works and it looks like they've included some sort of cookie check in the page address.

So they changed something on the login process and that broke everything for a while?

I only ever type http://www.natwest.com, but what comes up is
https://personal.natwest.com/personal.html

I'm using Firefox.

It is possible that when they changed things it caused problems.
My shortcut to the login page started https://www.nwolb.com/secure/default.asp but when I click the restart login button the page address now starts https://www.nwolb.com/Default.aspx

I've always skipped the main advertising page.

Slarti

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 21st, 2018, 1:58 pm

Watis wrote: I keep multiple accounts with different banks to massively reduce the risk of being caught without access to funds when these events happen - something I expect will get more, rather than less, frequent.

I can see the merit of having two accounts. In fact I have two myself, and for that reason.

But having "multiple" accounts would only be wise if you think that two totally independent banks would fail at the same time. I think you'd be very unlucky for that to happen. Indeed it is probably most likely to happen if there is some massive systemic failure, in which case all banks might be affected.

I always keep a few hundred quid in the safe, just in case.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 21st, 2018, 2:00 pm

Watis wrote:
Alaric wrote:

Glad to hear it.

For this reason I keep multiple accounts with different banks to massively reduce the risk of being caught without access to funds when these events happen - something I expect will get more, rather than less, frequent.

Watis

Barclays yesterday.
It's the fourth time in the past few years that RBS/Natwest have gone down and TSB's recent woes are well known. It's getting to the point where you'd have to consider if even two current accounts with different banks is enough to completely 'black swan' it.

I got caught out a few years back and had to try and remember how to pay cash/cheques into other accounts at a branch to cover bills.

I'm assuming it was some update/maintenance issue that got a bit out of hand that was the cause for this mornings outage?

The registers sympathetic take on it all...https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/2 ... n_and_out/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”