Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Projector television.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
88V8
Lemon Half

Projector television.

Postby 88V8 » September 29th, 2018, 8:48 pm

I recall years ago, many years, we nearly bought a projector television. It had a 10" screen, thereabouts, it received BBC only - no need to say BBC1 as when it was new that was all there was - and ITV was received via an add-on box attached to the side of the (wooden) tele cabinet.
Its usp was that it had a projector lense, either it projected on the 10" ground glass screen at the front, or it could flip over and project on the wall behind.
Cutting edge stuff.

I forget why we didn't buy it, perhaps something to do with the fact that it no longer worked.

So here we are, our 1985 Nordmende did not survive the house move in 2012, not that it was broken, just that its huge 27" bulk didn't fit into our diminutive sitting room. It worked fine. And so it should considering that in 1985 it cost a thundering £500. I read somewhere recently that new teles have a life expectancy of eight years, if so what a disgrace.

Anyway, so here we still are with no tele. Would be nice to be able to watch films. I have a good few videos.

We'd want a 32". They seem to be a rarity although Which grudgingly acknowledges their existence.
As an alternative, a projector?
Any experience?
New Fuji offering https://newatlas.com/fujifilm-rotating- ... ead%20more

What about parallax distortion?

V8

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Projector television.

Postby BobbyD » September 30th, 2018, 3:20 pm

My person tv buying regime:

1)Wait til Black Friday (Nov 23rd this year)
2) Buy Samsung

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 30th, 2018, 4:44 pm

BobbyD wrote:My person tv buying regime:

2) Buy Samsung

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-tv ... 20464.html
OK, it is a couple of years old, but would you trust a company that has done that?

Slarti

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 30th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Slarti wrote:
BobbyD wrote:My person tv buying regime:

2) Buy Samsung

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-tv ... 20464.html
OK, it is a couple of years old, but would you trust a company that has done that?

Slarti

Yes, to the extent which I need to trust a tv manufacturer which isn't a great deal. It sounds a lot less intrusive than google...

It is a couple of years old, it isn't as far as I'm aware still an issue, everybody screws up data protection from time to time, mine doesn't have voice recognition, and who the hell uses their tv for a web search anyway? Perhaps you'd buy a Sony instead...? They've never had problems with data security...

Samsung screens are routinely excellent, and the UI is great.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 30th, 2018, 7:14 pm

tomsguide wrote:If a talented researcher like Lodge could track voice data back to Nuance, a malicious hacker could do the same, provided that he or she had access to your smart TV and home network credentials.

its not very clever. Actually as long as someone has access to computer past which your voice commands are passing they can listen in. It is not necessarily an issue of hacking your home wifi.

We now have three echo dots in the house which are in part used as an intercom. My 6 year old wants one as well. However, we do recognise that they are always listening.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 30th, 2018, 7:24 pm

BobbyD wrote:Samsung screens are routinely excellent, and the UI is great.

Well I hope they've improved the PVR functions since I bought mine (a F5500) five years ago. They really are pretty poor: functionality very basic, barely acceptable, crap UI, and buggy buggy buggy, barfs out often.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”