Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dark Themes

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Dark Themes

Postby Infrasonic » October 2nd, 2018, 5:23 pm

I've been using the Night Eye extension on the free 3 month trial in Chrome browser, with mixed results.
Many logged in sites need switching to filtered with contrast and brightness reduced to be more visually pleasing whilst remaining functional. It works but is a bit fiddly and can slow the PC when a load of tabs are open as it re-renders the page.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... e-ntp-icon

So I'm currently trying out Dark Reader...https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... e-ntp-icon

Edge has a 'Dark Theme' in settings but it isn't all encompassing, the odd bit of white still appears to blind you.
Night Eye is available across a few browser platforms now including Edge, hopefully Dark Reader will get ported across soon.

I also messed with W10 high contrast mode and dark themes but it is too restrictive, not enough granularity yet. The 1970's terminal mode was cool for a bit though, green on black in Explorer et al.
If they tweak it a bit more it could be worth another go, maybe the October major update will have some pleasant surprises?

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dark Themes

Postby vrdiver » October 2nd, 2018, 6:03 pm

Have you had a play with "Night Light Settings" in W10? It can be set to be fairly subtle but does seem to make a difference in the evenings when I'm trying to wind down for the day.

VRD

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 2nd, 2018, 6:11 pm

vrdiver wrote:Have you had a play with "Night Light Settings" in W10? It can be set to be fairly subtle but does seem to make a difference in the evenings when I'm trying to wind down for the day.

VRD

Yes, the subtle candle light yellow tinge got on my wick after a while, so a more obvious dark theme was required.
I am using a similar app on my Android phone though called twilight...https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ndroid.lux

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » October 2nd, 2018, 6:23 pm

vrdiver wrote:Have you had a play with "Night Light Settings" in W10?

Depending on one's motivation for wanting a less bright display, another avenue of investigation for the whole-monitor rather than just a browser window is F.lux (cross-platform) which has been around for some years:
https://justgetflux.com/

Cheers!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 2nd, 2018, 8:23 pm

You may like to know that the 'October 2018 Update' Windows 10 version 1809 has extended its dark theme to File Explorer. Version 1809 is expected to be released in the next few weeks.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 2nd, 2018, 10:45 pm

Last winter, I became worried about the effect blue light was having on my eyes, so I installed flux as recommended above.
It does tone things down. One can adjust the settings.
There is impact during browsing, one can see the wheels turning as it moderates the screen colours of the PC.
But I only have one pair of eyes so I'll stick with it.

V8

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 3rd, 2018, 7:44 am

Dark Reader in Chrome browser is working out OK, set a hotkey of CTRL+D to toggle on and off to set a site by site whitelist (many sites already allow a dark theme within their settings and if you run both the text can be a bit strange colour wise...) and I've tweaked the monitor settings a bit more, turning brightness down to 40% now.
Trying out W10 night light settings again, on very low, just to take the blue light edge off the white bits.

Chrome browser now has a background colour option in the new tab setting. Gear wheel bottom right corner, so the usual vast expanse of white can be changed to something less retina damaging. The purple is quite fetching. You can't do that on the home page google.com (yet anyway) so I've got new tab as my default in settings. If you run more than one page as your default then in settings go to start up and use current pages to get new tab + a n other pages saved.

I noticed that the Android Youtube app update now has a dark theme, looks good, the desktop web page can be run similarly, which I do.
I've not found an overall solution on Android (I'm on 6.0.1 and can't update any further OTA, more recent versions may have global screen options I'm not aware of...). The Twilight app is a bit hit and miss, the free version is a bit limited and turns itself off rather randomly, especially on video.
There is a paid for pro version where the developers main effort goes (I presume.) I might wait for it to go on flash sale and pay up.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 3rd, 2018, 11:56 am

88V8 wrote:Last winter, I became worried about the effect blue light was having on my eyes, so I installed flux as recommended above.
There is impact during browsing, one can see the wheels turning as it moderates the screen colours of the PC.

V8

Is there any actual proper research into this 'blue light' which says it leads to blindness or eye damage?
Or is it another one of these pieces of accepted wisdom that everyone believes but has no basis in fact?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 3rd, 2018, 3:03 pm

absolutezero wrote:
88V8 wrote:Last winter, I became worried about the effect blue light was having on my eyes, so I installed flux as recommended above.

V8

Is there any actual proper research into this 'blue light' which says it leads to blindness or eye damage?
Or is it another one of these pieces of accepted wisdom that everyone believes but has no basis in fact?

It's just a comfort thing for me, web/screen pages full of bright white are not a pleasant viewing experience day or night, and apparently dark themes are one of the most requested features for phone apps and web pages, so the mass demand is there.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 3rd, 2018, 4:34 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
absolutezero wrote:

V8

It's just a comfort thing for me, web/screen pages full of bright white are not a pleasant viewing experience day or night, and apparently dark themes are one of the most requested features for phone apps and web pages, so the mass demand is there.

I agree with you. I have the 'night light' on my computers and phone activated all the time (except for between 3.45am and 4.00am (because windows insisted on a 15 minute gap).
I'm just wondering if there is any kind of medical consensus on whether extended exposure to 'blue light' is hazardous.
The blue end of the spectrum is higher frequency and so carries more energy than the 'warmer' colours but is there any medical evidence for it causing damage beyond not being very nice to look at?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 3rd, 2018, 7:12 pm

absolutezero wrote:I'm just wondering if there is any kind of medical consensus on whether extended exposure to 'blue light' is hazardous...

here you are (with references)...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734149/

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 3rd, 2018, 10:13 pm

Breelander wrote:
absolutezero wrote:I'm just wondering if there is any kind of medical consensus on whether extended exposure to 'blue light' is hazardous...

here you are (with references)...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734149/

Although we are convinced that exposure to blue light from LEDs in the range 470–480 nm for a short to medium period (days to a few weeks) should not significantly increase the risk of development of ocular pathologies, this conclusion cannot be generalized to a long-term exposure (months to years). Finally, we believe that additional studies on the safety of long-term exposure to low levels of blue light are needed to determine the effects of blue light on the eye.

Seems inconclusive. I.e. We don't think there is a significant risk but we need more information.

Are we going to see mass blindness of office workers in 30 years' time?

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 3rd, 2018, 10:37 pm

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/opo.12414
Interesting article from the College of Optometrists.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”