Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

New laptop recommendation

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

New laptop recommendation

Postby vrdiver » October 11th, 2018, 2:17 pm

I'm looking for a new laptop for Mrs VRD.

Requirements:
Budget: cheap! (the laptop, not me, although Mrs VRD might beg to differ...)
Needs to be able to store and play video clips (500Gb for OS & data should be fine.)
RAM - enough to run W10* and a couple of programs (PowerPoint, video playback and display photos concurrently - used for presentations where she swaps back and forth).
Processor - anything that copes with the above.
Ability to connect to external monitor via HDMI
wifi
Weight - would be nice to keep it as low as possible, but see budget, above.
Decent screen for viewing photos when not using an external monitor
Decent keyboard for typing (UK)
Upgradable storage and memory
Durability - it's not used for a daily commute, so not looking for tank-like build quality.

Happy to swap the laptop's drive for an SSD if the "right" pc comes with too small a drive. Ditto for RAM.

I'm aware that Black Friday is just over a month away, so comments on what to look out for / avoid also appreciated as well as any specific models that might be a good purchase.

Ideas appreciated
VRD

JonE
Lemon Slice

Re: New laptop recommendation

Postby JonE » October 11th, 2018, 3:18 pm

vrdiver wrote:Ability to connect to external monitor via HDMI

Is HDMI (specifically) a must have or would VGA be an acceptable spec?

No suggestions from me - I've just started looking for a 'transportable' (but would consider refurb) so will watch with interest.

Cheers!

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 11th, 2018, 5:25 pm

JonE wrote:
vrdiver wrote:Ability to connect to external monitor via HDMI

Is HDMI (specifically) a must have or would VGA be an acceptable spec?

No suggestions from me - I've just started looking for a 'transportable' (but would consider refurb) so will watch with interest.

Cheers!

HDMI would be convenient, but it's not a deal breaker.

For refurbished machines, I see that Amazon has a few bargain basement ones (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/gp/search/re ... =182721031)

To compare specs theres a handy site: http://www.lapspecs.com/compare

VRD

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 11th, 2018, 5:40 pm

You can buy HDMI to VGA converters (and vice versa), of course. Maybe a fiver each. That's what I should have done before I splashed out on a whole new monitor, just because my new computer only had an HDMI outlet, not VGA. Doh.

I haven't regretted the £200 I spent on an Acer laptop three years ago. It copes with everything, and it's even got a DVD player (many haven't.) Acers also have very wide viewing angle screens .

Have taken it abroad several times, and three years on the battery life is still pretty good. It doesn't owe me anything. :D

BJ

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 12th, 2018, 12:46 pm

RAM - enough to run W10* and a couple of programs (PowerPoint, video playback and display photos concurrently - used for presentations where she swaps back and forth).

2GB RAM will run it but I wouldn't get less than 4GB RAM really if you want even a semblance of future proofing or the ability to run more than five or so Chrome browser tabs. If you can stretch to 8GB RAM even better.

Aslo be aware that many budget machines come with 32GB of eMMC storage (not the same thing as a full blown SSD.) Get 64GB as a minimum for W10, or one with eMMC as the boot drive and the facility for adding your own bigger capacity M.2 SSD which can then have the OS cloned to it.
The 32GB eMMC thing is a cheap W10 OEM licensing dodge to keep the costs down, which is completely impractical when you get major feature updates to W10 and run out of space for the windows.old folder to do the OS backup.
There are ways around it but bite the bullet and pay for the bigger storage option.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 12th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Infrasonic wrote:

2GB RAM will run it but I wouldn't get less than 4GB RAM really if you want even a semblance of future proofing or the ability to run more than five or so Chrome browser tabs. If you can stretch to 8GB RAM even better...

One of the best arguments I've heard for not touching Chrome with a bargepole :) yes - it is known for being a memory hog, Firefox on the other hand (or Edge or IE) are far less demanding. I agree, 4GB should be the minimum to look for.

Aslo be aware that many budget machines come with 32GB of eMMC storage (not the same thing as a full blown SSD.) Get 64GB as a minimum for W10...

Yes, if you go for a budget tablet/netbook then a 64GB 'disk' is the bare minimum that's acceptable. Also be aware that such a budget machine may also be supplied with 32-bit Windows 10 pre-installed. In fact, even though the processor will be 64-bit the really cheap ones often have a 32-bit bios, making it impossible to install any 64-bit OS.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 12th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Breelander wrote:Also be aware that such a budget machine may also be supplied with 32-bit Windows 10 pre-installed. In fact, even though the processor will be 64-bit the really cheap ones often have a 32-bit bios, making it impossible to install any 64-bit OS.

That is interesting. I had not appreciated that. Lubuntu 18.04 LTS has almost three years support left, but it is the last release with a 32 bit version. It would do all that is asked here. The very cheapest laptops often have a Celeron N3060, which has a Passmark score of about 1,000 which is no going to be fast even with Lubuntu. I would suggest that a Passmark score of about 2,000 should be the minimum.

For a decent Windows laptop, I would suggest 4 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD and a Pentium Gold or i3 processor. The OP wants good colour for viewing photos, so an IPS screen would be best.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 12th, 2018, 4:36 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:The very cheapest laptops often have a Celeron N3060, which has a Passmark score of about 1,000 which is no going to be fast even with Lubuntu. I would suggest that a Passmark score of about 2,000 should be the minimum...

In general I would agree, though my test machine has a passmark of 1170 and runs the less demanding 32-bit Windows 10 at acceptable speeds.

A searchable list of Passmarks can be found here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Though a Passmark isn't the whole story, Windows 10 seems to thrive on multiple cores and logical processors - the more the better. I also have an old netbook with an Intel Atom N2600. It's Passmark of 525 would seem to rule it out for serious use, but running 32-bit Windows 10 version 1809 it make a very useable 'take anywhere' machine for browsing and other light use. Two physical cores and four logical processors would seem to account for that. Playing HD videos are a bit beyond it's abilities though.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 12th, 2018, 4:41 pm

vrdiver wrote:I'm aware that Black Friday is just over a month away, so comments on what to look out for / avoid also appreciated as well as any specific models that might be a good purchase.

42 days... I'd concentrate on the what to look out for rather than the specific models at this point. Have your basic requirements laid out, min spec, deal breakers etc and then see what fits your template on the day. Being generally prepared is a better BF hunting strategy than targeting specific prey.

Deals often leak ahead of time, it's free publicity who wouldn't... so keep an eye out for a heads up on news/tech sites, and run the other eye over HUKD where some obliging soul will doubtless post most of the decent deals.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 12th, 2018, 6:33 pm

This may be a bit techy for the OP, but it is an interesting solution:

https://www.cclonline.com/product/17916 ... -/BRB0395/

Add an IPS monitor for use at home:

https://www.ebuyer.com/794191-aoc-i2080 ... or-i2080sw

You could also add a keyboard / trackpad combo.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 12th, 2018, 8:11 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:This may be a bit techy for the OP, but it is an interesting solution:

I actually like it, but it's not a laptop...

VRD

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 12th, 2018, 9:10 pm

vrdiver wrote:I actually like it, but it's not a laptop...

No. However, it occurred to me that the underlying requirement might be to do general home computing tasks, prepare presentations at home, and plug into monitors away from home to give those presentations. If you need to do computing on the move (e.g. on a train), a computer in a little box is not practicable. Good laptops are expensive. The Brix is cheaper, and easier to fix. A second hand Tower PC would be cheaper still, and even easier to fix.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 13th, 2018, 11:46 am

vrdiver wrote:I'm looking for a new laptop for Mrs VRD.
VRD

Dangerous! You'll be in line for the blame for whatever is wrong with it. :!:
My £0.02: I had good use out of a HP Pavilion ultrabook: always pleasant to use, including a trackpad that's the most comfortable I've seen or touched anywhere. The main shortcoming: audio quality was crap, so for entertainment or conferencing/etc you'd want either headphones/earphones or external speakers.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 13th, 2018, 7:07 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Dangerous! You'll be in line for the blame for whatever is wrong with it. :!:

I'm used to it :roll: She has a Mac, which I detest, knowing nothing about macs, but guess who's "PC support" even when it's not a proper PC?

VRD

(and for the Apple fan club, yes, they are wonderful machines - it's just that I know nothing about them and take about 10x longer to sort out issues vs a Windows machine...)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 13th, 2018, 7:10 pm

vrdiver wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Dangerous! You'll be in line for the blame for whatever is wrong with it. :!:

I'm used to it :roll: She has a Mac, which I detest, knowing nothing about macs, but guess who's "PC support" even when it's not a proper PC?

In that case you're definitely in for some blame. No cheapo laptop is going to come close to a macbook's screen quality, and that's something she'll notice.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 14th, 2018, 5:07 pm

If she is used to a macbook, you will have problems replacing it with a PC. Here is a relevant article:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... user-apple

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » October 14th, 2018, 8:29 pm

No cheapo laptop is going to come close to a macbook's screen quality, and that's something she'll notice.

Ditto trackpad. Tricky blighters, trackpads.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 14th, 2018, 9:13 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:If she is used to a macbook, you will have problems replacing it with a PC. Here is a relevant article:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... user-apple

The only time you'll find decent information in a technical article in the Guardian is in the comments btl, much to be fair like the rest of the website.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 14th, 2018, 9:37 pm

I'm lucky in that she uses a desktop iMac for production work, but a Windows laptop for presentations of finished materials. The laptop is a bit of a "who cares what happens to it" piece of kit, rather than a thing of beauty and elegance.

VRD

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 14th, 2018, 11:21 pm

madhatter wrote:
No cheapo laptop is going to come close to a macbook's screen quality, and that's something she'll notice.

Ditto trackpad. Tricky blighters, trackpads.

Have to take issue with that. Mac trackpad leaves a lot to be desired. The one on the cheapo laptop I mentioned above wasn't perfect, but it had some advantages: more comfy on the fingers than a mac, and less prone to doing Wrong Things unbidden.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”