Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Bluetooth Range Under Damp Conditions

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Bluetooth Range Under Damp Conditions

Postby Maroochydore » October 12th, 2018, 4:17 pm

I understand that Bluetooth has a limited range and can be affected by obstructions such as walls in the house.

This fact is evindent at home where my computer is in my study and if I want to listen to internet radio whilst in the bath, I have to leave my Bluetooth speaker in the hallway outside of the bathroom door. Once I move it into the bathroom the signal goes, given the layout of my house.

However today I am receiving an uninterupted signal in the bathroom even with the door shut. I can also receive the signal in a bedroom where previously it was unobtainable.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is the weather. The house is slightly damper than in summer (no heating on yet).

So I'm wondering, I'm likening this to electricity and dampness; does a Bluetooth signal 'conduct' better in moist air?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Bluetooth Range Under Damp Conditions

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 12th, 2018, 7:16 pm

No, is the short answer.
Bluetooth is a 2.4GHz microwave (pedantically 'UHF') link- something else may have changed.
Possibly reduced local interference?
Antenna locations changed?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bluetooth Range Under Damp Conditions

Postby Infrasonic » October 12th, 2018, 7:33 pm

You can get long range BT transceivers if you want.
Completely random example from a Google search, in no way a recommendation...http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... 2000&ver=0

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”